Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
"Arbitrary" is at least slightly better than "but I don't wannaaaa".

...Maybe. I can't actually remember the reason right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

At least she isn't knowingly preventing us from rescuing several people in imminent peril.

I mean, she's preventing us from recusing somebody, but she doesn't KNOW that, and they're turned into a rock, they'll keep.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

This section still referenced Reborn in the pancakes, and then I guess the glitch field might not be a reference but it sure can induce flashbacks...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Hahahah what the gently caress

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

on the other hand she's a gym leader, fighting people who show up is literally her job what the hell

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Have there been any canon gym leaders who just refuse to fight you?

There's a couple who won't give you the badge until you speak to someone else - Claire, Whitney.

There's quite a few hanging out somewhere that you need to track down and let them know you want to challenge them (makes sense to me, most gyms are pretty boring places to stay in all day every day).

I suppose Jasmine makes you do a quest first, but fetching medicine for a sick Pokemon is more acceptable than 'I don't wanna', and you can progress further in the game while collecting it since there's another gym in Cianwood. I can't think of any other examples offhand.

And thinking about it I guess the real question is 'why was someone who acts like this made a gym leader in the first place'. (Well, no, the real question is why fangame writers think this is a fun clever thing to do.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Black Robe posted:

Have there been any canon gym leaders who just refuse to fight you?

There's a couple who won't give you the badge until you speak to someone else - Claire, Whitney.

There's quite a few hanging out somewhere that you need to track down and let them know you want to challenge them (makes sense to me, most gyms are pretty boring places to stay in all day every day).

I suppose Jasmine makes you do a quest first, but fetching medicine for a sick Pokemon is more acceptable than 'I don't wanna', and you can progress further in the game while collecting it since there's another gym in Cianwood. I can't think of any other examples offhand.

And thinking about it I guess the real question is 'why was someone who acts like this made a gym leader in the first place'. (Well, no, the real question is why fangame writers think this is a fun clever thing to do.)

Norman refuses to fight you until you've got four badges, despite his being the first gym you encounter in Gen III.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think one guy did the "I'm going to be a crochety jerk as a test of character" thing in the anime. Pryce?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

EclecticTastes posted:

Norman refuses to fight you until you've got four badges, despite his being the first gym you encounter in Gen III.

Oh yeah, I forgot that the only time the player gets a father he turns out to be an rear end in a top hat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Black Robe posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that the only time the player gets a father he turns out to be an rear end in a top hat.

In fairness, his team would have stomped all over your level 5 Torchic if he'd actually let you challenge his gym right away.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Then again, all of Norman's pokemon are Hoenn natives, and you all just moved in. It might be that Norman just wanted time to level grind so that the father-child clash wouldn't be an anticlimax.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

EclecticTastes posted:

In fairness, his team would have stomped all over your level 5 Torchic if he'd actually let you challenge his gym right away.

Isn't it implied, if not outright shown, that gym leaders have multiple teams they use so they can scale themselves to each challenger's skill level? Otherwise anyone who starts out in the same town as the 8th gym would be hosed, having to face level 40+ Pokemon when they've just started out.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

serefin99 posted:

Isn't it implied, if not outright shown, that gym leaders have multiple teams they use so they can scale themselves to each challenger's skill level? Otherwise anyone who starts out in the same town as the 8th gym would be hosed, having to face level 40+ Pokemon when they've just started out.

Nowhere in Gen 3 is that shown - the Gym rematches in Emerald are all postgame.
And again, since Norman only just moved in, we don't know that he has one team ready. The only pokemon we know for sure that he has on him when you first drop by is the one he lends to Wally.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

It's shown in the anime that adapts the first gen (but has Mega Charizard X because we gotta promote the new stuff) (Origins, I think?), but it's never outright said in the games until B2W2 where Cheren points out he's not allowed to use his own team, and even there, it's not "we have a variety of teams for each challenger", it's only "I can't use my own team because it has many types instead of just Normal".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like every fangame just looked at how gen 2's Jasmine (do a quest before fighting), Pryce (beat Team Rocket to open the gym), and Claire (DO A QUEST AFTER BEATING ME IM NOT SALTY THO) and decided yes, let's do this, but with more hamhands

MightyPretenders posted:

Nowhere in Gen 3 is that shown - the Gym rematches in Emerald are all postgame.
And again, since Norman only just moved in, we don't know that he has one team ready. The only pokemon we know for sure that he has on him when you first drop by is the one he lends to Wally.

I think Norman moved ahead before your family did so he probably had some time to build up his squad before becoming a gym leader

Though it's really splitting hairs, in most cases you're probably jsut not supposed to think about the levels and evolutions of trainer's teams. It's either they have a bunch of differently trained Pokemon they swap in & out as needed or you're really suposed to believe that Roark's battlegrounds team is now His Team and gently caress any new gym challengers who have to fight him

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

rannum posted:

I feel like every fangame just looked at how gen 2's Jasmine (do a quest before fighting), Pryce (beat Team Rocket to open the gym), and Claire (DO A QUEST AFTER BEATING ME IM NOT SALTY THO) and decided yes, let's do this, but with more hamhands

It's worth remembering that Jasmine's "quest" was relayed to you in only 3 or 4 lines, was completely direct and simple and it made sense why she's asking you for help and why she can't do it herself/act as gym leader, said quest pointed you to another gym where you could go in and face the gym leader and beat them and win a badge, and the framing of the request actually makes Jasmine appear sympathetic and not an rear end in a top hat.

Meanwhile Pryce's gym was closed because Team Rocket was more or less literally occupying the town, and Clair was a jerk but her "quest" was literally just going behind the gym into a building and bam, you're done. There's no long winded nonsense, no cast of dozens, no execrably long cut-scenes full of swearing assholes you're inexplicably supposed to not hate, and most crucially Pokemon backed off from this poo poo. Since G/S/C there's a couple of cases of "You need to come back later to battle me" among gym leaders, but there's never a tedious sidequest with Golden Sun levels of words attached to those stipulations, said stipulations are no more than once a generation at best, and in Platinum they actually go further back on that by letting you face Fantina the moment you reach her city instead of coming back as the fifth gym.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Carpator Diei posted:

Also, I have the same question about Tesla that I have about every other "recurring" character: Who the hell is this person and where have we met her?

She rescued us from the sinking ship at the beginning of the game and bought us a train ticket for the first visit to Goldenwhatever Forest. I think that's it for what she's shown up for?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
It's been a while since I played gen 4, but does Volkner refuse to battle you, or is he just a ehiny bitch but battles you anyway?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Roro posted:

It's been a while since I played gen 4, but does Volkner refuse to battle you, or is he just a ehiny bitch but battles you anyway?

He refuses to battle in the anime, literally just putting a box of badges in front of the gym. But iirc in the games he's just tired about all these lame battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Roro posted:

In game, you have to go meet him at the top of the lighthouse first, iirc, but there's not really an OBSTACLE.