Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

i've run into a bunch of moon landing conspiracy theorists and reminding them of the Soviet achievements and America's fragile ego made them understand why we went there and never really went back in the same way (we went to the moon 6 times). like it finally clicked that it was just a dick measuring contest.

More accurately it was a way of rigging the dick measuring contest after the soviets had already slapped out their enormous hog. Like the USA decided to measure length from the arse cheeks to the tip because that gave them the advantage.

I'm a rocket propulsion engineer and I don't think we're ever going back to the moon or to mars, at least not in my lifetime. Not because we can't but because in a Capitalist society there's just no reason to. I don't even think the power of nationalism kicked off by somebody like China going there would be enough anymore and I'm not sure that China would be bothered doing it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Blackhawk posted:

More accurately it was a way of rigging the dick measuring contest after the soviets had already slapped out their enormous hog. Like the USA decided to measure length from the arse cheeks to the tip because that gave them the advantage.

I'm a rocket propulsion engineer and I don't think we're ever going back to the moon or to mars, at least not in my lifetime. Not because we can't but because in a Capitalist society there's just no reason to. I don't even think the power of nationalism kicked off by somebody like China going there would be enough anymore and I'm not sure that China would be bothered doing it anyway.

tbf there's not really a reason to ever go back other than it being pretty cool. there's no economic, social justice, or environmental justification for moon flights. it's just neat.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a reasons to go it's just that most of them can be done without humans on site.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

i've run into a bunch of moon landing conspiracy theorists and reminding them of the Soviet achievements and America's fragile ego made them understand why we went there and never really went back in the same way (we went to the moon 6 times). like it finally clicked that it was just a dick measuring contest.

to be fair, Americans weren't above faking achievements for the sake of a dick measuring contest with the Soviets

for example, in 1959 we were showing the Soviets that every American kitchen had a Roomba and an automatic dishwasher that could put the cleaned dishes away all by itself

(in reality, both were controlled by a human operator hidden behind a two-way mirror)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All that overtime crunch at the dick sucking factory finally paid off with deliverables, time to fire everyone

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

what do you think they do with that stuff when they’re done with all their experimenting? Just put it in an unsecured dumpster somewhere probably?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Just had an interesting conversation with a non-American/European/Russian national. Apparently in some places, anti-colonialism is such in the DNA that space exploration is pitched to the public as a matter of national pride in institutions, et cetera, rather than pure unadulterated resource exploitation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Apollo 11 is on netflix in the uk

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Only a couple of months till we send another rover to Mars. I wasn't shocked that the ESA rover got delayed, given the whole parachute thing not working.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

broke: exploring space by the magnanimity of annoying billionaires
woke: funkatizing galaxies with good vibes and pure funk and free-form jazz exploration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AEJSuCI60A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haOMBnQwPuI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol not AliX but I was emptying out cupboards looking for something and found this tote bag that I have absolutely no recollection of buying:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol I need that tote bag

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

really hope CBS sues for copyright infringement

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
party of small government

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The government isn’t small. It’s just very far away.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

The government isn’t small. It’s just very far away.

ooooooooooh :hmmyes:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes thats awesome I want to hear more about the sex plan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tighclops posted:

gently caress yes thats awesome I want to hear more about the sex plan

horny is prohibited

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I wanna know what the gently caress happened to Central America

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

rods from god

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They resisted.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Anthem of the Soviet space program
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncx4x8rvrQU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hobbesmaster posted:

horny is prohibited

Smh at not wanting to gently caress an alien

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

please respect his preference to watch

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/LeoLabs_Space/status/1316147305125490694

:suicide:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

october surprise is cascading satellite fragmentation event leading to kessler syndrome and breakdown of global telecommunications

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So if I understand correctly there's a 1 to 20% chance those things gently caress the entire LEO system due to debris being spread all around. Have there been simulations on such a case? Would it invariably hit other satellites?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kessler! Kessler! Kessler!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

orange sky posted:

So if I understand correctly there's a 1 to 20% chance those things gently caress the entire LEO system due to debris being spread all around. Have there been simulations on such a case? Would it invariably hit other satellites?

Yes, eventually. It's a shotgun blast that has a chance of crossing paths with any individual object dozens of times a day, for thousands of objects. It would take some time, but a year or two from now there would be multiple collisions, then a few years later dozens, then a few years later every satellite in LEO would be dead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

orange sky posted:

I think it mostly depends how spread out the shrapnel gets, which as i understand it is hard to simulate.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also, it came out wrong, there's a 1 to 20% chance of them hitting, and possibly causing all that in the future. From what I understand there was a collision in 2009 that didn't cause anything major, so maybe we'll be lucky again

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

orange sky posted:

Also, it came out wrong, there's a 1 to 20% chance of them hitting, and possibly causing all that in the future. From what I understand there was a collision in 2009 that didn't cause anything major, so maybe we'll be lucky again

it's more the question of density of potential satellites to hit whether it causes a runaway cascade. guess what billionaire wasn't making GBS threads up the low earth orbit in 2009

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elon’s satellites are a mess, but they are in much lower orbits than the objects of interest here.

If debris reaches all the way down to Starlink’s altitude, everything has already gone pear-shaped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently the collision didn't happen! :toot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now we can ignore the risk for another decade.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
elon blew up another water tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

3 posted:

elon blew up another water tower

:gizz:

gently caress YOU MUSK, YOU loving WANKSTAIN, HAHAHA, gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUU. :owned: