Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO YA GOT
This poll is closed.
Patriots & Rams 23 10.36%
Saints & Chiefs 61 27.48%
Patriots & Saints 36 16.22%
Rams & Chiefs 102 45.95%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a neat cape posted:

If the Chiefs defense is so pathetic they couldnt force a field goal, they deserve to lose

i'm a pats fan but it's kinda dumb knowing (barring some miracle) my team is gonna win once they get the toss. doesn't seem fair for your offense to never get a shot if your defense has nothing left in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why would Riveron be held accountable for this? It’s not like he could throw a flag from New York. :confused:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

brugroffil posted:

still in awe of that blown DPI

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1087369666593546243

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The chiefs also had 1st down on like the 25 with 20+ seconds less and threw a bad pass out of the endzone before going for the FG.

Should've taken another shot into the endzone.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The chiefs also had 1st down on like the 25 with 20+ seconds less and threw a bad pass out of the endzone before going for the FG.

After the first shot, they had 11 seconds left, which is technically enough, but still pretty risky if something stupid should happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm a pats fan but it's kinda dumb knowing (barring some miracle) my team is gonna win once they get the toss. doesn't seem fair for your offense to never get a shot if your defense has nothing left in the tank.

Defense is half of the game. Go out there and stop the other team from getting into the endzone, get the ball back for your offense, and score.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right. it's half the game. the other half is offense.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

After the first shot, they had 11 seconds left, which is technically enough, but still pretty risky if something stupid should happen.

probably worried about a deep sack.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Defense is half of the game. Go out there and stop the other team from getting into the endzone, get the ball back for your offense, and score.

Yeah, also the reason they were so gassed is because the Patriots had at that point run like 85 offensive plays.

Almost as if it was part of the gameplan to gas them.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Yeah, also the reason they were so gassed is because the Patriots had at that point run like 85 offensive plays.

Final offensive snap tally was like 94-47 lol

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

It does seem like the Achilles heel of high scoring modern NFL offenses is their inability to stay on the field.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

It does seem like the Achilles heel of high scoring modern NFL offenses is their inability to stay on the field.

The achilles heel of the Chiefs is that their defense this year was awful, full stop.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the ot rules are garbage. i don't think anyone doubted the outcome of the super bowl or last night's game once they went to overtime.

Yeah, the issue stems from the fact that one team doesn't even get a chance to possess the ball, which is unique to the NFL among all major sports. In every other sport, professional or college, both teams have at least one shot.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It should be noted that if the Chiefs’ defense did get a stop, it’s not an instant victory.

The Chiefs needed a victory from their defense and a victory from their offense. The Patriots only needed a victory from their offense.

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

The achilles heel of the Chiefs is that their defense this year was awful, full stop.

Sure, but the offense didn't help this game. The first half they couldn't stay on the field. The second half they scored too quickly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fsif posted:

It should be noted that if the Chiefs’ defense did get a stop, it’s not an instant victory.

The Chiefs needed a victory from their defense and a victory from their offense. The Patriots only needed a victory from their offense.

This is exactly where the controversy stems from. They thankfully did nuke the "win the toss, get to FG range and win" strategy for both the playoffs and regular seasons, but now it's becoming apparent, at least for the playoffs, that winning the toss is everything.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That's how the Pats beat the Colts for years.

Nov 6, 2002

iospace posted:

This is exactly where the controversy stems from. They thankfully did nuke the "win the toss, get to FG range and win" strategy for both the playoffs and regular seasons, but now it's becoming apparent, at least for the playoffs, that winning the toss is everything.

It's just a side effect of the offensive explosion, where there are only a few teams that have legit defenses now, and the expectation is that more often than not a team will score points on any given drive. The OT rules do not take this into account.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's just a side effect of the offensive explosion, where there are only a few teams that have legit defenses now, and the expectation is that more often than not a team will score points on any given drive. The OT rules do not take this into account.

That's a fair point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change the OT rules again after this year, at least for the playoffs.

Though I'm remembering the time Favre chucked it 80 yards against the Broncos to win on the first play of OT :newlol:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah and the asymmetry is exacerbated in the postseason, where every top 5 offense is all but guaranteed a playoff berth. Only two of the top 5 defenses made the postseason.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also if the Chiefs won the toss and scored a touchdown, there is a 0% chance I’m posting anything other than “LOL GET GOOD THEN” today.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fsif posted:

Also if the Chiefs won the toss and scored a touchdown, there is a 0% chance I’m posting anything other than “LOL GET GOOD THEN” today.

Same but in reverse

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Phobeste posted:

I don't know who this is responding to but if it's to me then I have to reiterate that teams that get "robbed" by a bad call maybe didn't deserve the win they were "robbed" of if a single bad call or coin flip could "rob" them of it

Thanks, Pharisee, for the rules lawyering

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ball control is the most important thing in the modern NFL, even more important than actually scoring the ball.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Thanks, Pharisee, for the rules lawyering

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

That's how the Pats beat the Colts for years.

Somewhat. It also helped that the Colts defense generally sucked and they liked to employ midget linebackers and DBs.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kalli posted:

They showed that the Patriots were dropping like seven guys into the end zone because the Chiefs couldn't complete anything inbounds.

Considering their distance from the end zone, I think it would have been very difficult for the Chiefs to score, and any sack/stop in bounds ends the game.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iospace posted:

"we want the ball, and we're gonna score"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finger Prince posted:

"we want the ball, and we're gonna score"

That was great