Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Here's an example of a server that was installed in a church:

quote:

The supercomputer has been beefed up over the years. Most recently, the fourth iteration came online in 2017 "with a peak computing capacity of 11 thousand trillion operations per second (11.15 petaflops)," reports Motherboard. "MareNostrum 4 is spread over 48 server racks comprising a total of 3,456 nodes. A node consists of two Intel chips, each of which has 24 processors."

The first thing I would do with my space (which I can imagine being terabytes of ram with petabytes of storage) is run a binary tree to extreme multi dimensional arrays in various scenarios

I'd love to compile software on that. I think my network would explode if I compiled software on that datacenter server because of the sheer amount of data being sent to my location

Heres the candy, I can imagine its running Linux

./configure --prefix=~/.home/newland && make clean && make -j `cpucount` (I forgot the actual command)

This will compile software instantly using ALL processors, the data storage would be so closely calculated it would beat the SNOT out of ZFS and maybe BTRFS

Parallel compiles, Id never go on the IRC network. If there was a BBS, Id never leave my house (I never do)

What would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'd probably go for calculating the next prime number.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Nicehash, unironically. Just to see man...

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Two chrome tabs at the same time man. Always wanted to do that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
real time ray tracing probably

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Rent it to North Korea or something. They'd probably pay real well for that time. I could use the money to build a bunker, I guess.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Challenge someone else with a supercomputer to a chess tournament.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
You know there’s some serious bandwidth in those data centers. I have a gigabit connection, I’d run x11 forwarding till the cows came home, on windows none the less

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

1gnoirents posted:

Nicehash, unironically. Just to see man...

You’d probably make enough to pay their electricity bill!

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

poemdexter posted:

I’m in the process of doing this on my hardware, but a super computer would make these things super fast, especially with a nice custom terminal.. maybe a p3 600 running FreeBSD 12-stable i386 using fbterm on a crt?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

K8.0 posted:

Rent it to North Korea or something. They'd probably pay real well for that time. I could use the money to build a bunker, I guess.

Sounds like a great way to get busted by your government for doing business with state enemies, unless you live in China or something.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

K8.0 posted:

You obviously haven’t met the Bastard Operator From Hell. He’d put you in FreeBSD jail

The stipulations of the thread would be getting like a shell account on a supercomputer

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Run neofetch
Post to reddit

I would set up a robot that stroked my cock once for every upvote like how those camgirls have donation-triggered wireless dildos

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 17, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How well is dwarf fortress optimised for processor usage these days?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
See how many Toy Story Movies it can render in a day.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Folding@home
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513956

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mersenne prime search. First one over 100 million digits long is worth $150k.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

See how many Toy Story Movies it can render in a day.

Lmao I can imagine what the admin would think.. probably “hmm one of the users really seems to like toy story”

unidef freeman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2019

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
What kind of software would everyone develop? And what language/build system/is/virtualization hypervisor, code paradigms, etc? Be as detailed as possible!

unidef freeman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 19, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Is this your compsci homework?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

AgentCow007 posted:

No. I haven’t been enrolled in a college in 10 years. Im just a brother who loves computers

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Emulate twice as many C64s as there were during its heydays, bringing back a golden age

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

AgentCow007 posted:

I thought this very same thing. The "Be as detailed as possible" kind of gave it away.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

poemdexter posted:

Telyra posted:

Mersenne prime search. First one over 100 million digits long is worth $150k.

Back in the day when supercomputers were built out of discrete components rather than commodity hardware the mersenne prime search was one of the first programs they would run in testing because it's a relatively simple algorithm that repeats the same operations a huge number of times and will give a wrong result if any individual operation isn't computed correctly. I like this neat wikipedia page showing how long it took to run the algorithm on antiquated hardware, with a modern computer you can do all of the mersenne calculating in world history up to the 80s in like 10 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_prime#List_of_known_Mersenne_primes

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
my watch is roughly 100x faster and has 100x more ram than the desktop pc i used when i was a kid. so probably tell time.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Finally host a 300 player rust server that doesn't lag too bad. Assuming it would even run (it wont).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stealthgerbil posted:

Finally host a 300 player rust server that doesn't lag too bad. Assuming it would even run (it wont).

The server would crash and burn from all the dongs flapping around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I had access to a few Top10(tm) clusters for tests in ~2004, there was a distributed povray-like thing that a colleague used to render some scene of a space battle with all the lighting tricks at a huge-at-the-time resolution. Took about 30 hours on about 1000 top-of-the-2004-line Linux machines. I might still have a copy somewhere! I bet it’s like 4K or something else that my phone can reproduce in near-real-time.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'd find another supercomputer and get them talking.

Four words -
Colussus: the Forbin Project

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MJP posted:

I'd find another supercomputer and get them talking.

Four words -
Colussus: the Forbin Project

You're forgetting the part where the supercomputers had already been given direct control over nuclear weapons.

Subjunctive posted:

When I had access to a few Top10(tm) clusters for tests in ~2004, there was a distributed povray-like thing that a colleague used to render some scene of a space battle with all the lighting tricks at a huge-at-the-time resolution. Took about 30 hours on about 1000 top-of-the-2004-line Linux machines. I might still have a copy somewhere! I bet it’s like 4K or something else that my phone can reproduce in near-real-time.

Ehhh, not necessarily. A modern PC still wouldn't be able to render Toy Story in realtime.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'd fire up Microsoft Publisher and design a flyer for the church's canned food drive next month

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

I'd fire up Microsoft Publisher and design a flyer for the church's canned food drive next month

Uh, I’d check and see if there’s a tractor-feed hooked up to this bad boy, and if so fire up Banner Mania and make some sick dot-matrix banners for the canned food drive.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Id like to see this if you still have it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheParadigm posted:

Id like to see this if you still have it!

That’s sort of creepy—I was exchanging email last week with a colleague from then and asked him to see if he had a copy of any of it. We both think we burned all the files we had from the national labs and other clients when we quit, but he’s going to look.