Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

At the Gates is a Swedish death metal band from Gothenburg, a major progenitor of Gothenburg-style melodic death metal. The band was initially active from 1990 to 1996, reforming in 2007 for a tour between April and September 2008. In 2011, they reformed again and have since continued to perform
At the Gates were formed in 1990 by former members of the death and black metal band Grotesque. They recorded a debut EP, Gardens of Grief, for the Dolores record label. The EP led seminal metal label Peaceville Records to sign the band, and they released their debut full-length album, The Red in the Sky Is Ours in 1992.

After the recording of their second studio album, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, founding member and guitarist Alf Svensson left the band in 1993 to pursue tattoo artistry, graphic novel illustration and his solo electronic-opera-black metal project, Oxiplegatz. He was soon replaced by former House of Usher guitarist Martin Larsson, who the band knew from underground tape trading. The band continued touring Europe, and were filmed for a Headbangers Ball special feature in Nottingham, UK in July 1993.

On 18 October 2007, At the Gates announced several reunion shows for mid-2008, including Getafe Electric Festival, Roskilde Festival, Ruisrock, Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting, Sweden Rock Festival, Gods of Metal, Hellfest Summer Open Air and Bloodstock Open Air,[9] as well as a tour of Japan with The Dillinger Escape Plan, Into Eternity, Pig Destroyer, and Mayhem in May 2008.

Anders Björler commented on the reunion:

“ Well, it felt like the timing was right for once. We have been talking about a possible reunion for years now, but this was the first time everything fell into place. For me personally, it feels like getting closure. The break-up over ten years ago was abrupt and left a bad vibe between us that took years to get over. We have a better relationship today and a more relaxed approach to who we are and what we do. The time is right to get together and play some shows. Try to catch us live in the summer 2008. It could be your last chance.

The band's melodic and melancholic death metal style "would inspire the whole Gothenburg region". According to Steve Huey, Slaughter of the Soul "lacked the intricate twin-guitar leads of In Flames, the complex song structures of Dark Tranquillity, the progressive artistry of Edge of Sanity, or even the rock & roll underpinnings of latter-day Entombed. Slaughter of the Soul was more rooted in American thrash (especially Slayer) than its peers, and didn't seem to be consciously trying to break new ground. It was simply a stripped-down, no-frills melodic death album that hit all the basic points of the style. It's also important to note that in place of the usual guttural death grunts, vocalist Tomas Lindberg here adopts a strangled shriek that keeps the lyrics somewhat intelligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think you might be a little confused.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Jon Shafer is at the gate. Buzz him through.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I got a chuckle

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The game is beautiful and the nesting tooltips are great for figuring it out, and the game needs it because it has a lot of different interacting systems. I think once I finally get over my crippling restartitis I'm going to sink dozens of hours into this.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Jon Shafer is a bad designer, but I loved the Slaughter of the Soul album so i'll be following this.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I like their first two albums best honestly.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tehan posted:

The game is beautiful and the nesting tooltips are great for figuring it out, and the game needs it because it has a lot of different interacting systems. I think once I finally get over my crippling restartitis I'm going to sink dozens of hours into this.

no its not and no they aren't.

Jon Shafer the idiot king who killed civilization made this bad game and hates 4x games and has no idea what makes them good. Exhibit A: every faction is locked except for one, and i assume you need to beat the game with the goths to unlock the huns, etc. all the way down. If you can play this game through the first winter you have a drinking problem.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I still have my shirt from when I saw them, Toxic Holocaust, and Municipal Waste on the Suicidal Final Slaughter tour.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Normal Adult Human posted:

Jon Shafer the idiot king who killed civilization made this bad game and hates 4x games and has no idea what makes them good. Exhibit A: every faction is locked except for one, and i assume you need to beat the game with the goths to unlock the huns, etc. all the way down. If you can play this game through the first winter you have a drinking problem.

I watched some streamer - you unlock other tribes by taking over their poo poo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Normal Adult Human posted:

yes it is, yes they are, and you're an idiot baby. You unlock a faction either by killing them or allying them, neither of which is remotely difficult at the moment. Which is the game's actual problem. Remarkably, given his work on Civ V, At the Gates is mechanically interesting, and migrating and training your economy and managing clans and poo poo is actually a lot of fun. Completely unremarkably, given his work on Civ V, the AI are feeble minded children who you can casually kick to death.
Shafer says actual opponents will be patched in as he keeps updating the game, which probably isn't a comfort if you were hoping for something finished. We'll see i guess

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The core mechanics are fine, but the game is hilariously half-baked right now and it shows. It's pretty trivial to kill the AI clans anyway because they don't really do anything- you just roll in a couple men at arms to their camp and win pretty easily.

The clan rivalry poo poo is not all that interesting, IMO, i'd like to see a more difficult economy and opponents in their place.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so uh can we get an actual OP for this thread? I'm familiar with the band At the Gates and like them, but I'm pretty sure this game has nothing to do with them and I am totally loving lost as to what the hell any of the other posts are talking about

the most I have gathered is that it's a 4x game, OP seems to hate it, and you unlock tribes in it by beating them up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so uh can we get an actual OP for this thread? I'm familiar with the band At the Gates and like them, but I'm pretty sure this game has nothing to do with them and I am totally loving lost as to what the hell any of the other posts are talking about

the most I have gathered is that it's a 4x game, OP seems to hate it, and you unlock tribes in it by beating them up.

Jon Shafer's At the Gates was a game kickstarted 6 or 7 years ago and everyone kind of gave up on actually coming out until it was released out of the blue. The premise of the game is that you're a barbarian tribe moving into the lands once controlled by the crumbling Roman Empire.

Here's a couple of quicklook style videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIctKEDJh24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mu8RlSn-dI

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i really liked civ 4 and im really sad they hosed up the rest of the series since then

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Shafer reveals his true power, restricting the player to a single city for the ultimate tall build.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
This... is actually out? Not Early Access or anything?
Huh, go figure.

I suppose I'll follow the thread.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
its cool that they brought the turn 150+ lag civ has right to the very first turn, even though the maps are comparatively tiny. the optimization is terrible. scouts have no auto explore. supply management is somehow both extremely irrelevant and extremely annoying.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I've put in half a dozen hours into this game and I don't see playing it again for a while.

Some issues:
-There is no way to kick out disgraced clans, I guess other than giving them a crap job and - sending them into the field.
-You can infinity sell and buy at the caravan, coupled with sometimes having sell rates larger than buy rates, you have infinite treasure.
-I captured a settlement, it flipped back to the Celts without warning. I recaptured it and put my 2 stacks of men at arms into the settlement, the next turn it flipped back and my dudes just disappeared.
-I don't know why there's a difference for captured clans, or if there is a way to integrate them.
-Encamping seems to be a get out of supply issues for free.
-Why can you build free roads? What do they do?
-I don't know the purpose for clan sizes other than they eat more food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
Haven't put too many hours into this, but I like the progression from nomadic to settling down and the slightly different approach to 4X.

Feels not very polished overall to be a full release right now on the other hand. More like early access.

I hope they will keep supporting it for a while. Could be the Civ-formula of "you need 2 expansions to actually make this playable".