Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So I’m just trying to gather all the information I can at this point. My BIL was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident in the Dominican on Saturday night. He had emergency surgery on his brain and has been sedated and on the ventilator since. He is doing ok, severely injured obviously, but is not requiring as much sedation, is more responsive, although still on the vent.

Anyway, when he is ready to medevac out, I am mostly familiar with the process (I am a NICU nurse, we do transport a lot). I have been in contact with a medevac company here that was recommended by a colleague. I have been connected with a doc in JAX who will accept him as a patient (also through a colleague/family friend). I know when we are ready, the doctor here will have to contact the transfer center at the accepting hospital. I just want to make sure my bases are all covered and I’m asking all the right questions.

Any input/advice/encouragement would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
gently caress, that's awful. I had MedJetAssist insurance for years, but it's lapsed now as of Jan 1st. All I can tell you is that I looked into it from an insurance perspective and it was incredibly expensive, like $100k for an average distance (couple thousand mile) medical flight. Does his medical insurance cover repatriation? IIRC many do not if 'equivalent medical care is available' in the host country, for which DR may or may not qualify. I think I got mine in the first place in 2008 since Panama was considered first-world medical care and my home insurance did not cover repatriation from there, back when I was a US resident.

Of course depending on prognosis and necessary care etc it may make sense to repatriate him, since his life is worth more than being hosed by insurance companies.

Isn't there a forum for medical goons? They'll maybe know more since this is a US/Canada-centric forum.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Out of curiosity, what city/hospital is he in? Quality of care varies widely through the DR. Definitely evac when possible.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So for the curious I managed to get him out. It was quite the ordeal. He’s lucky to be alive and not paralysed.

But now if anyone needs advice on the medevac process I’m now well versed! 🤣

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Miranda posted:

So for the curious I managed to get him out. It was quite the ordeal. He’s lucky to be alive and not paralysed.

But now if anyone needs advice on the medevac process I’m now well versed! 🤣

Did his health insurance cover it, or did he have travel insurance? Or is he on the line for an $60k medical flight?