Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The Tank KO didn't do him any favors either. Absolutely shattered his confidence.

I've been following Garcia a bit, since he's from my hometown (Victorville). He's got athleticism, a good left hook, but his fundamentals are still terrible. Footwork, leaves his chin up when throwing.

I think Haney takes it by decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I don't know where this is going but lol the 7th

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
This ref is a loving disaster bro

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, the 7th was strange.

Garcia is doing better than I thought. He reminds me of Tyron Woodley in MMA, where he also has the neat one trick of a left (well, two with Tyron where he also has wrestling that he will do nothing with on the ground), but its a neat trick when it works

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the only thing that this ref is penalizing is hitting in the clinch it's amazing. Either guy is just flagrantly ignoring instructions, even, or just committing every foul in the book, and he's like "at's fine np."

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

King Ry loving did it

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I love them acting as if him winning somehow means he isn't loving insane now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Weird fight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ryan Garcia 100% won that fight and I’m glad they gave it to him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This ref is a loving disaster bro

I like Harvey Dock normally but he didn’t have any control here

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

the post fight interview is incredible.

Insane religious ramblings are absolutely on par for exurban California.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

I like Harvey Dock normally but he didn’t have any control here

He was absolutely horrible. I usually have no complains about him but drat. Rd 7 should have had two knock downs, and he had no control over the clinch.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I don’t know boxing or Ryan Garcia, but I will say confidently Garcia is my favorite after seeing the fight and his interview

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bad night for the books :whitewater:

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

STING 64 posted:

bad night for the books :whitewater:

https://twitter.com/CutonDime25/status/1781863560303296802

Just need to focus their efforts on people with millions of dollars and CTE

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the paradigm shift posted:

giving up an extra 600k and any chance at the belt just to keep the fight going seems like a worse deal than slicing a few pounds off in a day

Depends how far you are in the cutting journey, that.

3lbs at the start of it, yeah.
3lbs after you're fully dehydrated, have already dropped 15 or so and have been at it for hours? absolutely not.

hindsight and all of that but given he ended up winning, he'll get another crack at the belt and another paycheck anyway.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

garcia is a frustrating boxer to watch. he has the speed and power to be great. that mental just won't take him there.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

garcia is a frustrating boxer to watch. he has the speed and power to be great. that mental just won't take him there.

He’s only lost to tank, and he just dominated a lbs for lbs guy who was undisputed - giving him his first loss. I don’t know what more he’s supposed to be doing?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

He’s only lost to tank, and he just dominated a lbs for lbs guy who was undisputed - giving him his first loss. I don’t know what more he’s supposed to be doing?

Making weight would be a start

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Making weight would be a start
That’ll be easier at welterweight, his new weight class.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. F! posted:

Okuteru posted:

He's got athleticism, a good left hook, but his fundamentals are still terrible. Footwork, leaves his chin up when throwing.

^ he should fix this stuff, op. he's tough but he takes too many punches; haney underestimated garcia because he's a Literal Crazy Person

i don't want to take too much from garcia because he completely and thoroughly dominated haney but he has serious holes defensively and he has to eat punches just to get in with his (admittedly fantastic) left hook. a more powerful boxer (or even a more prepared one) is going to be able to take advantage of that

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

he would have been punished heavily for that very bad philly shell against someone that wasn't shook by the first punch of the fight.

when asked what he was doing with it he said i have adhd and get bored.

ryan garcia with a canelo mindset is a 4 division champ.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

he would have been punished heavily for that very bad philly shell against someone that wasn't shook by the first punch of the fight.

when asked what he was doing with it he said i have adhd and get bored.

ryan garcia with a canelo mindset is a 4 division champ.

I remember thinking Ryan was winning the tank fight until he lost it. I have no clue what the Philly shell thing he was doing was *supposed* to do, but I think it really confused Haney. I think it confused the ref too, because the ref told Haney to stop hitting Ryan in the back the first few times Ryan did it.

Haney might have underestimated Ryan, but I don’t think he came in unprepared. He’s too disciplined for that. I also think Haney took control after that first round, winning most of them until the 7th. I could definitely see this fight being a draw with Ryan’s point deduction - mostly because Ryan was either conserving energy or he just felt like loving around some rounds, and other rounds Haney really was in control.

I do think it’s funny how the announcers after the fight basically were like “well now you’ve won the fight you’ve proven you’re not insane. . .”

I was interested in tank v Haney, but now it’s much less likely that that fight ever happens. Ryan v boots could be really interesting. I’m not as high on boots as others, but have got to favor him over King Ry.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Randomly heard 2 18ish year old girls talking about Ryan Garcia when I was walking down Michigan Avenue in Chicago today.

Truly the new Face of Boxing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

quote:

Heavyweight Ardi Ndembo, of Congo, has reportedly died after being put into an induced coma following a knockout in Team Combat League competition April 5 in Miami.

Ndemobo, a 27-year-old from Brazzaville, Congo, was a father of two who had been competing for the Miami Assassins of the TCL. He was knocked out by Nestor Santana of the Las Vegas Hustle and, according to Marca, remained unconscious on the canvas for “several agonizing minutes.”

Jeff Mayweather, coach of the Las Vegas Hustle and uncle to Floyd Mayweather Jr., told SunSport: “Boxing’s a sport where you grow up watching it and loving it, but there’s so much risk involved.

“Anyone can lose their life from boxing. When something like this happens, it wakes up the whole entire world.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/ndembo-passes-away-from-injuries-sustained-apr-5-bout--183103

Rumor that this video is of Ndembo getting KOed by Dewey Cooper in training only a week out

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5s-xM8Ls53/?igsh=YnJ2ZXZvYXF6MW80

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2024

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The Saudis and His Excellency are moving their Riyadh Season cards out of Saudi Arabia and they have a huge one. Pitbull in the co-main for the SoCal crowd but Tim Tszyu - Vergil Ortiz is crazy for non main or co-main event.

https://twitter.com/RiyadhSeason/status/1783234884661661956

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

The Saudis and His Excellency are moving their Riyadh Season cards out of Saudi Arabia and they have a huge one. Pitbull in the co-main for the SoCal crowd but Tim Tszyu - Vergil Ortiz is crazy for non main or co-main event.

https://twitter.com/RiyadhSeason/status/1783234884661661956

Ruiz is finally fighting

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Gonna need to reinforce that ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Ruiz is finally fighting

Now fans who have spent years acting like it was a big shame we weren’t seeing him in the ring more often will finally shut the gently caress up.