Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The Let's Play

So I thought I'd try out something maybe a little different. Rather than covering your traditional game I thought I'd show people why I love Rocksmith so much.

Back in high school I was the kid who was into Guitar Hero way more than was healthy, long after other people kinda got tired of the gimmick I was still buying every release. It started a long love affair with rhythm games as a whole but I also ended up taking a beginner's guitar course as an elective and I haven't really stopped since. I used to play mostly classical stuff on my accoustic because I never really wanted to be in a band, I just wanted to play an instrument, and while I LOVE screaming electric guitars they don't sound real good when you're just playing alone in a basement. However back in 2011 Rocksmith came out, then it got a pseudosequel/update in 2014 and a free re-master version a year or two ago, and now I've been exclusively playing electric using this program as accompaniment for years.

The game is billed as a learning method/tool for guitar that can dynamically shift difficulty up and down and teach you all the techniques you'd need to know to get through and it's just the coolest loving thing. I love it so much you guys.

I want to make a series of videos that just show it off, there's obviously no story or levels or anything, it's just me playing various songs I know using the program, but I think there's a real cool visual appeal in just watching the colored bars stream down the screen and listening to the music. No commentary, no interruptions.

I'm going to make separate videos that talk about how to play guitar, the techniques you use to do certain fiddly things in various songs, primers for understanding the notes and symbols that Rocksmith uses, just for people who are interested.

Primers

Intro Video

Learning a Hard Song

The road to Cliffs of Dover

Songs

So I'm sure I'm going to get flagged by youtube for copyright infringement at some goddamn point and let's hope they don't just ban my entire account, so this list may end up with dead links or w/e if I have to pull something. I'm none too fussed tho and we're just gonna see how it goes.

The Cribs - We Share the Same Skies
Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Thin Lizzy - Whiskey in the Jar
Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do?

Requests

Here is a giant goddamn pastebin with all the songs I own in rocksmith. I am not an expert at all of them but 95% of them I've at least hosed around with and I could absolutely learn any of them to a certain competency on request. If nobody posts or gives a drat I'll likely just throw up a few more videos of whatever songs I really like and then let the thread die but if you want to see/hear a certain song just post in the thread!

There's like 300 songs here and I had to type them all by hand so somebody request at least one, kthx.

https://pastebin.com/QrmRBYFi

Please note, I'll play whatever but I'm not Slash, so if you wanna request freebird I'll do it, but I'm not promising a flawless squeak free experience!

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So how do I read this stupid thing?

I'll expand this section as I feel like it, adding information from the newest posts here, but this is just a quick reference to understanding just what the poo poo a chord looks like in rocksmith in case you wanna know!

Open String

Looks like a big flat line. This one is inside a weird panel with some other stuff on it. That's a different thing I'll talk about later, but a big flat line simply means to play the color coded string without touching any fret at all.

Standard Note

Normal unblemished box. The color matches the string you play, the position of the box matches which fret you play it at.

Oh by the way, this is a fret. The little metal bars that cross the neck cause the string to go up by half a note at each spot. You press between 2 of them to make any given note.

Chord

Anytime you play more than one note at a time we call it a chord. Classically you need at least 3 notes to be a real chord but on guitar we'll call these 2 note versions 'power chords' or sometimes 'double stops'. They're babified versions of regular cords but sound good with a nice chunky tone. You can have open notes in chords as well and sometimes chords will skip a string and play the red and blue, but not yellow. These all take their own techniques.

The empty panels behind each chord are additional strums on the same chord. You don't move hand position, just wail on the strings again. I tend to take these as more 'suggestions' and play whatever I think sounds best, most of the time this is the pattern they want me to play but I improvise alot.

Semi-advanced stuff

Next set of notes you'll see in these videos that might not be immediately obvious.

The Slide

Start fretting a note at on one fret, in this case 3, and then slide up or down the neck without lifting your finger to another fret, in this case 5.

You have to maintain that pressure on the string as you run over the metal frets so these hurt to do if you haven't built up big guitar calluses yet.

Slides can be specific like this one where you have to stop sliding at a certain fret and continue holding the note, or non-specific where they just kinda fade out in game and you lift your finger somewhere along the neck and the note will fade.

The Mute

When there's an X over a note like this (or a chord panel like in the image) you have to mute the strings with your hand and it makes them sound percussive. Think 'dup' instead of 'dum'. You can drop your strumming hand onto the strings while you strum or pick notes and get varying degrees of muted-ness depending on how/where you mute them.

Legato

Also called Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs, I prefer the fancy name of legato. Basically instead of picking every note when you see these triangle symbols you instead simply put your finger down hard (hammer) or pull it off to change the note you're playing. Picking a string make a harder note than legato will but playing sustained legato like in the picture is difficult because every time you touch the string it'll vibrate somewhat less and you'll lose the note after awhile. Because of that you can hammer down really hard to give the string more energy or pull your finger to the side instead of lifting straight off. It's a really finicky thing to do and still have it sound good.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The Cribs - We Share The Same Skies

This is one of my favorite medium-ish songs to play. The main melody is actually a thing called an 'arpeggio' where you play the notes from a chord in a pattern, which is pretty drat easy to do once you get used to it. However I'm not doing that here because I learned this song without doing that and muscle memory is a hell of a thing to overcome.

In the end it doesn't sound quite the same as if you played it as intended but you'd be really hard pressed to hear the difference.

Audio balance

This is the normal volume my guitar plays at when I'm practicing because I have to hear it very clearly to know if I'm playing it well. If the 'music' is too quiet and my guitar too loud for your listening pleasure let me know. If I turn myself down too much then the actual guitar in the song will hide my own playing but there's a comfortable balance in there somewhere I'm sure.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 13, 2019

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
In no particular order you should do:

Ballroom Blitz
Electric Eye
Keep Yourself Alive
You Really Got Me

Solid dad-rock compendium, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
You're a bold man playing chicken with the youtube content detection algorithms like this. Gonna be following this for as long as you can keep it going, though!

These videos will probably even spur me to pull my own guitar from gathering dust and resume practicing with it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

You're a bold man playing chicken with the youtube content detection algorithms like this. Gonna be following this for as long as you can keep it going, though!

These videos will probably even spur me to pull my own guitar from gathering dust and resume practicing with it

Maybe if I'm louder than the music and play like poo poo it'll throw it off :parrot:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Saw this on the ol' YT notifications, and... Instant HECK YEAH. Now, to find the time to try and play along again... [looks nervously at guitar strings, and whether he needs to replace them]

Sound balance was a little quiet voice wise on the first vid, but otherwise, very much down for this LP, and found the emphasis on the guitar just fine.

Oh, yeah, obligatory "Play the first four bars of Smoke on the Water repeatedly." :cenobite: (But really, whatever floats your boat, watching somebody enjoy Rocksmith is a pleasure)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Any video where I have to talk live and do a demonstration is gonna be quiet just because of the way rocksmith and OBS interact and stuff, but they'll all be short and optional so I'm not too worried about it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Message in a Bottle
We're an American Band
Final Countdown

I'm kinda sad that Hero World never became a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kK9vDysXwU

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
We do need some Trooper over here, yes?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I was asked by Agent to put these requests in here, so for songs to just play, I would like to see Bohemian Rhapsody and any Santana song.

For a full learning process series, Cliffs of Dover. :getin:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Butler no.

Agent! Are these all official releases, or do you have any custom tracks? Because my buddy Milt is way into Rocksmith. I need to get a guitar myself, I'm barely a beginner. But I am def interested.

e - song request, Devo - Girl U Want

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

What? Cliffs of Dover is a good song.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is a good song yes, but do you want to murder Agent's hands more?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Iron Maiden - The Trooper

I've played this song less than a dozen times ever and only like 3 - 4 before I got this recording so it's a bit rough. For hard songs like these I'm not going to kill myself practicing them for 20 hours until I can do them perfectly because I'm going to have an entire video series dedicated to that poo poo for a different hard rear end song (video later today prob).

So this ends up being pretty good, the quick double stops are really really hard to hit cleanly and the little weedly bits of the melody give me conipitions and I only hit them cleanly one in five at best.

Thats one thing rocksmith does that can really screw you up, the note detection is good but not perfect, so if you hit a note but it's kinda rough it can still count, but other times you can hit notes perfectly and the software won't pick it up. So I don't put a whole lot of faith into the percentages and note-streaks that the end of the video shows

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Are those little up and down arrows for hammer ons and pull offs? Some of those sections look real rough.

Also a fan of the slide all the way down the neck and back, everyone knows the best guitar solos include jackin the neck.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Hats off to you. That was some proper playing there.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Semi-advanced stuff

Next set of notes you'll see in these videos that might not be immediately obvious.

The Slide

Start fretting a note at on one fret, in this case 3, and then slide up or down the neck without lifting your finger to another fret, in this case 5.

You have to maintain that pressure on the string as you run over the metal frets so these hurt to do if you haven't built up big guitar calluses yet.

Slides can be specific like this one where you have to stop sliding at a certain fret and continue holding the note, or non-specific where they just kinda fade out in game and you lift your finger somewhere along the neck and the note will fade.

The Mute

When there's an X over a note like this (or a chord panel like in the image) you have to mute the strings with your hand and it makes them sound percussive. Think 'dup' instead of 'dum'. You can drop your strumming hand onto the strings while you strum or pick notes and get varying degrees of muted-ness depending on how/where you mute them.

Legato

Also called Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs, I prefer the fancy name of legato. Basically instead of picking every note when you see these triangle symbols you instead simply put your finger down hard (hammer) or pull it off to change the note you're playing. Picking a string make a harder note than legato will but playing sustained legato like in the picture is difficult because every time you touch the string it'll vibrate somewhat less and you'll lose the note after awhile. Because of that you can hammer down really hard to give the string more energy or pull your finger to the side instead of lifting straight off. It's a really finicky thing to do and still have it sound good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Here's something I thought would be fun.

Since it's inevitable people are going to ask for freebird and other really difficult stuff and I simply don't have time to actively get good at every hard solo I play, let's pick a single song and practice it until I hate it. I'll record bibs and bobs of it and throw it up as a thing to follow for progression just for fun. So here's the first one why not?

The road to Cliffs of Dover

This is some weird LP poo poo going on now and I hope at least somebody finds it interesting.

Cliffs of Dover has long been the song I sorta held as the absolute pinnacle of what I'd want to accomplish, in that if I could just play this one song I'd be officially Good At Guitar rather than just an amateur dabbler. We'll see if this thread is the catalyst to achieving that goal, or at least something in the ballpark.

Manuel Calavera posted:

It is a good song yes, but do you want to murder Agent's hands more?

Are you saying I can't do it? :colbert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe in you Agent, just more the matter of why he'd want you to do it right from the start. :3: <3

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Because Cliffs of Dover is an amazing songs, and one of the first songs I think of when I think of great guitar.

EDIT: To put in another request, Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult. Also, Carry On, Wayward Son by Kansas.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 15, 2019

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
See, this is why I already love this LP. It's gettin' across that you've got real skills to have gotten far enough to do a fairly good Maiden track, and also that said Maiden track's fretwank in the middle is good and really dang hard to pull off (or hammer on, as the case may be.) Props.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And me, the few times I've played. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsKwM_sNIQ I barely muddled through Primus on easy playing. Like, 20ish difficulty or so. It's a hoot to watch Les play live though, the way his hands move is just fascinating.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Now take that feeling, and watch Eric Johnson live on Cliffs of Dover: https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Nd7EZ3k39s

This is what Agent hopes to eventually be.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Some of the rocksmith videos on youtube feature a camera just focused on the hands of whoever is playing and thats a set up I wish I could do, just because I think it looks wicked cool watching a dude play guitar. They just move so drat fast. No camera here tho so ya'll can't see me fingering.

Been practicing more cliffs of dover today but my hands are being stupid, some days it seems like you just can't hit poo poo for notes so while I put another hour in on the same 15 seconds riff that I was doing yesterday I never managed to get a single run as clean as what I was doing before.

Nothing weird there though, thats just normal practicing blues, it's weird how the brain has to rewire itself to learn new skills and poo poo.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
So, how willing are you to throw endless piles of cash at the game to satisfy our lovely requests?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alas I'm but a poor college graduate looking for work so I don't have the 3 bux to buy DLC right now. Might find work before the LP ends tho and then I don't mind picking poo poo up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Customs exist, like I mentioned earlier. :v:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

This is punk, or at least like proto-punk. Early punk.

Punk music is 50% noise and 50% fast chords.

The solo is hard and I did it badly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thin Lizzy - Whiskey in the Jar

Two songs at once because I love this song. It's decently hard to play and maintains a pretty consistent difficulty across the entire song which makes it really fun to do.

Songs that are easy sometimes with insanely difficult solos can be less fun because 80% of the time you feel bored and 20% you feel inadequate.

Also I love irish music anyways.

poo poo owns. Don't mind the kinda rough first verse.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

This is punk, or at least like proto-punk. Early punk.

Punk music is 50% noise and 50% fast chords.

The solo is hard and I did it badly.

The Sweet are glam rock, clearly. With hair like that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ye but the song is still punk. Or something that directly inspired punk, it seeps through it pretty clearly IMO.

Music genres are fuzzy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can see that, may be why I dig the song so much. Fox on the Run is a lot more glam, especially with the high pitched vocals. You did good tho, and you're right, that ending solo is a killer.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I thought you did pretty solid on Ballroom Blitz, but it almost seems like your tuning is off for Whiskey in the Jar. Maybe I'm just too in love with Phil Lynott to properly listen to the guitar on the full version, though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The guitar is definitely in tune, listening closely to the original and my video i think maybe Rocksmith is just using a filter thats a bit fuzzier than the original in some sections. That could make it sound a bit different.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You know, I just realized that your thread title is a lie, because those are most definitely not colored dots. Those are colored bars.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby

Loved this song since Guitar Hero 3 and it was added to rocksmith 6 months ago or something and I bought it day one. What a great tune. I got the other 2 Kaiser Chief songs from that pack as well, Never Miss a Beat and I Predict a Riot. I like them but they aren't nearly as good.

Not a terribly difficult song but it rocks and a friend requested it so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do?

I love this song so much, it's super fun to play.