Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Current system is win10(just got the big fall service pack update last night), I5 cpu, 16gb ram.
USB connected items - Corsair k65 keyboard, steelseries 310 mouse connected to keyboard pass through. Blue snowball mic. Bluetooth dongle, Insignia. Steelseries Stratus XL controller connected via bluetooth. Nothing too exotic

I have been having a terrible time with the controller staying connected, sleeping, and when I press a button to wake it up, it changes to player2. On the controller are 4 LEDs that show battery etc and also will light up one of them to show which players joystick is connected. Normally its the 1st LED, player 1, and all is good. After waking up though, sometimes this changes to the 2nd LED for player 2, and I am unable to use the controller. Powering off the controller and then back on(with the switch on the controller) sometimes works to go back to player1, but usually I have to restart the PC

Almost all of the docs I find on the web about this issue lean towards having multiple controllers connected, I don't. Some solutions are to go into the game controllers control panel app and remove the controller and re-connect it. Remove device from bluetooth menu and re-pair it, this sometimes works but is not 100%

I did have a similar problem with a wired controller previously, but this was narrowed down to a flaky usb cable connection(in the controller end) when I would move it a certain way and stress the cable it would beep for disconnecting, and then I would move it again and it would beep when reconnecting. Sometimes it would come back as player1, sometimes as player2. Since this has happened with a different stick, is it safe to assume that its not the stick hardware itself, and instead something common like windows/BT/steam/etc?

I don't even know where to begin with this.
1. Possibly the bluetooth dongle and BT stack losing the connection, I think this is pretty unlikely as I'm not getting any notifications or the normal usb connect/disconnect beeps from the system. What's the best way to remove and reload the BT driver stack?
2. Physical problem with controller? Again I dont think so since when it works, it works fine. Its been mostly stable for a month now since adding it to the system. Fresh batterys too so it doesnt seem like a side effect of that either
3. Something funny with the Steelseries Engine control software? Theres nothing for monitoring in here, its just a place to change the various button and trigger sensitivity. There's no macro settings or hotkeys in the software. It's running latest version and the controller is on current firmware 1.69
4. Is Steam and its controller settings doing something weird? In Steam I have the controller settings all boxes unchecked, game overlay is off, not using Big Picture or anything else funky. I just use it to launch games 99% of the time, and even then I just use a desktop shortcut to launch the game. If I could unload Steam completely other than whatever DLLs it uses for authentication, I'd be happy as heck. GTA V is what I play most often(steam version obv) and it doesn't play nice when Steam is not running- the game runs for a while but when it periodically saves, it must check in with steam and this is when game crashes Is there a way to run GTAV/steam games without running steam?
5. There's nothing weird running in the background. Sticky notes, sometimes OBS, discord, sometimes a firefox window
6. Is there any way in GTA V to make it accept input from *any* connected controller? It doesnt matter to me one bit if it thinks its player1 or player2, as long as its working
7. Where would any sleep timer settings be for the controller, bluetooth, usb, etc? The only thing I can find is in the Steam controller setting a sleep timer. Ive tried 5 minutes and NEVER, and also like 60 and 120 minutes. None of these seem to have any effect. The normal time it will go to sleep is about a few minutes after I set it down, but it's not consistent every time. It also seems like it's just the first time it sleeps is the problem. Once it wakes back up after that first time, it's usually OK- if it comes back as player1, then all is good. If it comes back as player2, then it's done and stays that way until I shut down
8. Is there a way in windows to force the controller to stay as player1? I only have the one and I have no need to ever use any other player 2 3 or 4. I haven't found anywhere in the regedit or driver details for the device to identify what player the system thinks is conencted, or to change it. Is there some piece of Xbox driver that is causing this and can be removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Maybe its not Steam and is instead GeForce Exp? I guess I didn't figure on this one since there's no "controller setup" type options, but I'm willing to try. All I really use GfExp for is screenshots

quote:

Hey, I've looked everywhere because I had the same problem.
Do you have Nvidia Geforce Experience installed on your PC? Beause if you have that, and you are logged in and it's running in the background, shut it down! Geforce Experience has the possibility to stream, therefore it will somehow set as Player 1 when the program is running.
It worked for me!