Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

ManlyGrunting posted:

uh hey, I've liked your LPs before but you seriously need to chill, it's just a drat game. One depressed, non-neurotpical, gay as hell trans who gets real, real passionate about what they like to another, you can make your case without dying on a hill over it. I like me some games that people have really poo poo over too but I didn't start attacking people over it.

i'm aware i'm being more aggressive with this LP than others, but i want a turn to be this way, you know?

i've tried really hard in the past to be rational with my passion, and i'm really exhausted. i'm just really, really tired of having to concede to aggressive behavior and not give the same in return

you may not have noticed, but a lot of people are very nasty about the things they consume, and anything that steps out of their pre-established ideas of morality or world-view is met with harsh criticism and disdain, especially on Internet forums

i have a love for this place and many of the people inside it, because i got to talk about a lot of games with a lot of good people

i don't think it's so much that i want to die on this hill, it's that people really want to kill me on this hill. i always try to make sure i'm never the person to fire the first shot, at the very least

Commander Keene posted:

There's a bit of a design issue in Brandish's weapon being the "best" weapon - why use anything else? It's like Mega Man 2 - the Metal Blade was the best weapon, and outside of fringe cases or deliberate level design, you just didn't use anything else. It even had infinite ammo, too - you just needed to pause every three shots.

And Dynatron's voice is incredibly annoying to my ears.

i think the other weapons have their utilities, but i can't deny that brandish's is the best by far

also yeah, Dyna's voice seems deliberately annoying at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
4. You Missed Me, Fucko

I'm tired of the negativity surrounding games as a medium, and the negativity with which most people perceive the art form I care most about. Game design is an art, and games are a kind of expression. I try to enjoy everything I play, and when I cannot, that's a sad thing. Finding the good in something is ideal, finding the bad in something is painful. I don't think many people are like that. I think many people have an idea of what they believe is good and what they believe is bad, and they would rather not try to deviate from that for any particular reason. People want their games a certain way, and if games are not that way, then the games are bad to them. The general entitlement and unreasonable, often fickle standards set by people who purportedly enjoy this hobby drives me insane. I'm tired of trying to give credit and reason to people arguing that a developer is expressing their passion for game design incorrectly.

People have told me before, and I was just told now, that they're "just games". But those games are the product of people who pour tens of thousands of hours of soul and creativity into bringing a project to life. Because we live in a society where it's not acceptable for developers to stand up and say "gently caress you, I designed it this way for a reason." without jeopardizing their career, I often find myself wanting to do that instead. It's not that games are without flaws, but the limiting and overwhelming negative mindset people use to consume media just makes me furious.

So yes, I am very mad. I will probably always be mad, because videogames are my biggest passion, and gamers are the worst thing about videogames by far. I want to actually enjoy games as a medium. I'm not sure I've seen many others who do.

You can still sit in your armchair and tell designers and artists and creators that they should've done things this way or that way. But for this one, particular game, I've had enough. Developers can't say "gently caress it", so I will. gently caress it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That bit at the end there, where you were able to finish the boss fight through the wall? I'll say that's good design. Might not have been entirely intentional, but forcing you to go around the barrier to get the absorption would probably have killed any combo you had going there.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Finding the good in something is ideal, finding the bad in something is painful.

You're alright, kid.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Dude, no one is denying that gamers are assholes at times because this is an accepted truth but by that same token game developers are not exactly saints either. As anyone who has watched Guru Larry's Fact Hunt series knows all too well, developers have done some despicable things such as making a game purposely bad and even flat out broken in some cases.

There is a reason developers can lose their career for saying "gently caress you, I designed it this way for a reason", nine times out of ten that was never their call to make in the first place as they answer to a boss. Now granted sometimes said bosses aren't exactly great and some are notoriously incompetent but generally there's a reason they keep devs on a tight leash because sometimes that's the only way poo poo's gonna actually get done.

Highwang did a really good video on why Game Development should not be romanticized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAvutqJH_c

Now Inafune seemed more like someone who wound up getting in over his head after not being involved in game development for years and thus not knowing that gaming has moved on from when he was making Mega Man X than an outright jackass but consideration for your potential audience is not a new concept contrary to popular belief, see the end of Red's video on A Christmas Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofiD-cD4LH8

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 13, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dynatron's level is deffo one of the better ones, I'll give you that. Megaman X games always had neat power plant levels. This one has the bonus of actually using the lights as part of the challenge to navigate in the dark, so yeah no complaints from me. And look at that, the floor and the walls have the neato Tron lines, you have those cool glass corridors and so on. Those twin buzzsaws are some Kaizo bullshit but other than that yeah.

The weapon usage meter slowly going back up was a feature added only in ZX Advent and that was a legitimately nice touch, especially given how many loving forms that drat game had.

Chimera-gui posted:

Now Inafune seemed more like someone who wound up getting in over his head after not being involved in game development for years and thus not knowing that gaming has moved on from when he was making Mega Man X than an outright jackass but consideration for your potential audience is not a new concept contrary to popular belief, see the end of Red's video on A Christmas Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofiD-cD4LH8

Like I told OP, that's the damned thing though. Megaman X was far more innovative than this and it's obvious the devs took inspiration from ZX, which was an even more innovative game. So they deffo worked with people who knew what they were doing. I think I would be a lot kinder to the game if it was a Kickstarter done by a fan, but with the kind of pedigree MN9 has I expected more. Keep in mind We're in the more interesting levels, we have yet to get into the more disappointing ones.
OP might be right if we were just talking about the original Megaman series, but we've since had X, Zero and ZX.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 13, 2019

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Oh man, Mighty Number 9. What a crazy little time period that was.

Kickstarter was still relatively new and Shovel Knight got funded and blew everyone away with how great it was. We were all excited and thought this was the beginning of a new frontier in game development. Instead of developers having to rely on funding from a major company they could go to Kickstarter and avoid all the corporate hassle that we like to blame for any shortcomings in a game. Then we found out that it takes a lot of resources to get these things made. 4 million seems like a lot to the average person, but for a studio making a big game it's really not that much. This game didn't meet expectations, and Yooka-Laylee wasn't the smash hit we were hoping for either. You could also group the Ouya in with them too. The whole gaming Renaissance we were hoping for ended up not happening.

I do think that this game got poo poo on a bit more then it deserved due to all the drama happening with the Kickstarter. The Red Ash project got put out before this game was done which got people concerned that Comcept was going for quantity over quality, which is exactly what Capcom loved to do with Megaman. Then there was that whole misguided "cry like an anime fan on prom night" advertisement. I always considered the game to be in more of a middle of the road, somewhat bland experience. Kind of how I feel about the later Megaman NES titles. Just another example of a game with some neat ideas that failed to execute them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah but we also got the Shadowrun Returns trilogy out of Kickstarter, so I'll call the experiment a success.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah but we also got the Shadowrun Returns trilogy out of Kickstarter, so I'll call the experiment a success.
Fairly sure Hollow Knight was Kickstarted as well. It wasn't a revolution, there were good games and lovely games like everywhere else.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

LISA the Painful too, right? I definitely think Kickstarter was more good than average for the game scene. Maybe not revolutionary, but it definitely was a pretty solid step in a positive direction.

(And if the failures helped consumers be a little less nostalgia-blind in general, even if by just a little bit, than that's probably a net positive too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Not to mention Shantae: Half-Genie Hero which I noted last page.