Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bork bork boooork
This poll is closed.
V by Thomas Pynchon 8 33.33%
What I Saw in America by G.K. Chesterton 4 16.67%
Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson 3 12.50%
Jerusalem by Alan Moore 3 12.50%
The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther by Jeffrey Haas 6 25.00%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Here are the contestants for next month -- you can vote for one or more -- please only vote if you would actually like to read the book and talk about it

1) V by Thomas Pynchon

quote:

I should confess that I have no idea what “V.” is about—and I have read it twice. It may be about Benny Profane, a hopeless schlemiel who, having been discharged from the Navy, bounces around New York City with a comically harmless gang called the Whole Sick Crew, spending a good amount of time in the aforementioned crocodilian pursuit. Or the novel could be about Herbert Stencil, the son of a prominent British consular official, Sidney Stencil, who had “died under unknown circumstances in 1919 while investigating the June Disturbances in Malta.” Stencil’s entire existence is focused on the hunt for V., a classic novelistic quest-without-resolution (in fact, V. might be fiction’s greatest example of a MacGuffin). V. may be a person, or may be a place, though it could also be neither: Pynchon calls it, at one point, “a remarkably scattered concept” and, at another, “the ultimate Plot Which Has No Name.”

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/v-at-l-pynchons-first-novel-turns-fifty

2) What I Saw in America by G.K. Chesterton

quote:

Chesterton begins this book with one of his typical paradoxes: “I have never managed to lose my old conviction that travel narrows the mind.” Now why is that?

https://www.chesterton.org/lecture-37/

3) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

quote:

Her readers obviously don’t care whether her book is fact or fiction. The memoir debuted at the top of the Washington Post and New York Times nonfiction bestseller lists, and at the recent Gaithersburg Book Festival, Lawson was mobbed by avid fans who greeted her with screams, a standing ovation and handmade gifts. No one in the audience questioned whether she had embellished any of her story. In her introduction, Lawson writes, “This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren’t.” She added that disclaimer to sidestep any threat of being sued — and perhaps to give her family a friendly loophole in case they need to fend off charges of reckless parenting over some of Lawson’s more outrageous reminscings.

. . . .

Her writing may be an acquired taste for some, especially with the high animal body count, the constant cursing and the occasionally disjointed manner. For her many fans (myself included), the randomness only adds to the charm. She writes often of a crippling anxiety disorder that forces her to hide in bathrooms after humiliating herself at cocktail parties: “I’ll blurt out something . . . to fill the awkward silence, but for some reason the part of my mind that doesn’t have a filter can think only about necrophilia, and the part of my brain that recognizes that necrophilia is never an appropriate topic yells, ‘NECROPHILIA IS BAD,’ and so then I panic and hear myself start talking about why necrophilia is bad, and the part of me that is slightly sane is shaking her head at myself as she watches all the people struggle to think of an appropriate way to respond to a girl at a cocktail party who is against necrophilia. I feel sorry for those people.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.61ac14315d70

4) Jerusalem by Alan Moore

quote:

This is it, the Big Book to end all Big Books. The one you may have heard of — Jesusalem — written by that guy who also writes the comics or whatever? (Alan Moore, the groundbreaking, hairy genius behind V For Vendetta and Watchmen.) The one that took him a decade to peck out, clocks in at something like 1300 pages, and weighs as much as a small, dense cat?

It's that Really Big Book, and if you care about books you already know about Jerusalem or you're going to hear about it, and you're going to ask yourself that one, all-important question when it comes to Really Big Goddamn Books: Do I need to read this one?

Yes, you do.

https://www.npr.org/2016/09/15/493003885/jerusalem-is-alan-moores-really-big-book-in-every-way

5) The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther by Jeffrey Haas

quote:

Uncovering a cold-blooded execution at the hands of a conspiring police force, this engaging account relentlessly pursues the murderers of Black Panther Fred Hampton. Documenting the entire 14-year process of bringing the killers to justice, this chronicle also depicts the 18-month court trial in detail. Revealing Hampton himself in a new light, this examination presents him as a dynamic community leader whose dedication to his people and to the truth inspired the young lawyers of the People's Law Office, solidifying their lifelong commitment to fighting corruption. Contending with FBI stonewalling and unlimited government resources bent on hiding a darker plot, this reconstruction relates an inspiring narrative of upholding morality in one man's memory.

https://www.amazon.com/Assassination-Fred-Hampton-Chicago-Murdered/dp/B00BLKTO8C

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
vote v

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

i have an illness where i can't shut up about pynchon so if this wins i'll be insufferable

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I nominated What I Saw in America, and despite the fact that I like it and enjoy it and recommend it, I promise it's still actually a book sane people would want to read. Also it's on Gutenberg.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

i have an illness where i can't shut up about pynchon so if this wins i'll be insufferable

the only pynchon ive read is the crying of lot 49 :negative:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’ll vote v. when I’m on a computer and will gladly reread it. It’s my favorite Pynchon book, it’s just insanely good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the only pynchon ive read is the crying of lot 49 :negative:

:stare:

I mean even I read Gravity's Rainbow.

After like 30 years but still. It changed everything about my relationship with books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
V. is so loving good. I think about it all the time, and I read it years ago.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

:stare:

I mean even I read Gravity's Rainbow.

After like 30 years but still. It changed everything about my relationship with books

I read it at age 12 because my dad's approach to sex ed was to leave "dirty books" lying around the house where he knew I would find them.

And that set me on the path to where I am today

Franchescanado posted:

V. is so loving good. I think about it all the time, and I read it years ago.

I thought I had a copy of it lying around that I was given as a gift in college and this would be my excuse to finally read it

I was wrong though that was a copy of Vineland so looks like I'm gonna have to go get this one unless the vote turns around at the last minute

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It'll be V. I'll get a thread up as soon as I finish dealing with all the reports.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pynchon! :yeshaha:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
culture me, assholes, I shall read your book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i know a guy who loves pynchon more than almost anything on earth except for vaporwave, so pynchon and vaporwave are inextricably connected in my mind now

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Goondolences.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i know a guy who loves pynchon more than almost anything on earth except for vaporwave, so pynchon and vaporwave are inextricably connected in my mind now

ヴェルナー・フォン・ブラウン420/現代のロケット

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Got a copy of V. ready to roll as soon as I finish Blood Meridian.

Hopefully fewer people get murdered in V.

A LOT fewer people.

But keep the Judge

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's gonna be...quite a transition. I'm not saying their ultimate concerns/themes are all that different, but now you've put me in mind of McCarthy trying to write a vaudeville-song gag or a 30-page digression with the sole purpose of setting up a verbal pun.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mdemone posted:

That's gonna be...quite a transition. I'm not saying their ultimate concerns/themes are all that different, but now you've put me in mind of McCarthy trying to write a vaudeville-song gag or a 30-page digression with the sole purpose of setting up a verbal pun.

I got a few pages in and its an abrupt change for sure. Pynchon has a much lighter, more playful style. Perhaps that comes from not murdering everyone in gruesome ways?

I have to say though that I cannot get Blood Meridian out of my head, it is sooo good and the finale one of the best I've read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Pynchon has a much lighter, more playful style. Perhaps that comes from not murdering everyone in gruesome ways?

Have patience.

:getin: