Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So,

tactlessbastard posted:

My 2005 civic (5 speed, silver) developed a grinding sound as it rolls from the front left wheel. I thought it might be a stuck caliper and I've had my first chance today to get the car up on jacks and there's no sign of a stuck caliper...the brake pads have plenty of material and the rotor is in good shape. What else could be the source of that noise?

I had a wheel bearing go bad on that side about 6 years ago and had it replaced. Could it be going out again? And if so, why is this thing eating front left bearings?

Edit: possibly related: it needs an alignment pretty bad but I wanted to get the strange sounds cleared up before I took it to a shop.

tactlessbastard posted:

drat, cursed myself. Car spent the day at the mechanic down the road from work today. They say it is the driver side bearing and it's trashed the hub as well so I'm looking at $770 to get that fixed all in. While they had it up on the rack they showed me a bunch of other problems that they wanted $$$ to fix but I'll be tackling them myself. Look for "I'm in over my head" to get some thread necromancy soon.

My old thread where in I hosed up changing the timing belt and then later replaced the rotors and fixed a stuck brake caliper has expired to the archives so here we are again.

Mechanic showed me that my lower motor mounts are both shot and that all the bushings on my lower control arms are completely trashed. He says in order of importance I need to get the LCA's fixed ASAP.

Now, the reason I've got them doing the bearing is because I have absolutely no access to a press or vise. If I buy complete new LCAs with the bushings installed (that is a thing, right?) I can just pop them on and not have to worry about pressing anything in or out, correct?

As for the motor mounts, how much of a pain in the rear end is that to do, especially considering I won't be doing it on a lift? I know I've got a lot of youtube to watch in my future but in the meantime I've got to get these pestilential children fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

If I buy complete new LCAs with the bushings installed (that is a thing, right?) I can just pop them on and not have to worry about pressing anything in or out, correct?

Yes they should come with the bushings already installed. You'll need a way to separate the lower ball joint from the knuckle, a pickle fork is fine since you won't be reusing the old ball joint. The stabilizer end links will have to be disconnected from the control arms and it can be tricky, I would try some vice grips on the back side of the stud trying not to damage the boot if possible. Or just replace them if you want to spend the extra money.

Here is a picture of what your engine mount locations should be, assuming you have the 1.7:

Book time is only 0.8 hr. per mount so I don't expect there to be any reason you couldn't do them yourself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bearing, I'd have just got a good used complete front upright and bolted it on. Kind of kicking the problem into the long grass compared to doing a new bearing, but gets it mobile again. Moot point if already being fixed.

Yes, complete LCAs should just bolt in, though make sure you have a ball joint separator for getting the old ones off. Also, where possible, get the suspension at normal ride height before final tightening of the inboard bolts. Ball joint doesn't really care much on that front, though if it uses a castle nut and split pin, make sure the split pin hole is in an orientation you can access before tightening everything up.

Anti roll bar links can be a right dick to deal with sometimes, if they're cheap I'd just get new ones.

Motor mounts on most cars are manageable with a jack and block of wood to support the engine and gearbox as necessary when swapping.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thanks, guys. I watched some videos last night after I got the kids in bed and it seems like some pretty straightforward stuff. I'll keep y'all posted as I progress.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I mean "pop them right in" and "14 year old car" may not be analogous. The process is straightforward but the actual work might not be fun. Get a big loving hammer... also install all the bolts first, finger tight, before you tighten anything down. Come ask for help if you get stuck and frustrated and we will have tips to make poo poo easier I'm sure.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

I mean "pop them right in" and "14 year old car" may not be analogous. The process is straightforward but the actual work might not be fun. Get a big loving hammer... also install all the bolts first, finger tight, before you tighten anything down. Come ask for help if you get stuck and frustrated and we will have tips to make poo poo easier I'm sure.

Fortunately, they don't use salt around here, but thanks and I will!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately, unless his car is different than my 07 Civic Si, he can get away replacing the LCAs without a pickle fork or balljoint separator since the lower balljoint is attached to the LCA with two nuts and a bolt.

If you're going to do it I'd be looking for used and STRAIGHT knuckles, OEM lower balljoints ($50-ish a pop), and LCAs. This will let you pretty much replace everything down there with two bolts for the strut, a nut for the axle, and the two (?) bolts for the LCA compliance bushings. Sprinkle in poo poo like abs sensor bolt, etc. The 8th gen Civic knuckles bend up at the top where they bolt into the strut if you look at them wrong.

Initial Dave was right that the LBJ to knuckle is a castle nut with pin, but the problem with these is you can't get a normal balljoint separator in there unless you pull the axle out, so plan on using a pickle fork and replacing the balljoints. (depending on if you tackle everything at once)

edit: I just realized he said 2005 Civic, so nothing I said applies. Rip.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 26, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Fortunately, unless his car is different than my 07 Civic Si, he can get away replacing the LCAs without a pickle fork or balljoint separator since the lower balljoint is attached to the LCA with two nuts and a bolt.

If you're going to do it I'd be looking for used and STRAIGHT knuckles, OEM lower balljoints ($50-ish a pop), and LCAs. This will let you pretty much replace everything down there with two bolts for the strut, a nut for the axle, and the two (?) bolts for the LCA compliance bushings. Sprinkle in poo poo like abs sensor bolt, etc. The 8th gen Civic knuckles bend up at the top where they bolt into the strut if you look at them wrong.

Initial Dave was right that the LBJ to knuckle is a castle nut with pin, but the problem with these is you can't get a normal balljoint separator in there unless you pull the axle out, so plan on using a pickle fork and replacing the balljoints. (depending on if you tackle everything at once)

edit: I just realized he said 2005 Civic, so nothing I said applies. Rip.

Hey, thanks anyway, though!

So, 1AAuto sells both LCA's with a new balljoint already attached for about ~$90 for the pair. My brother in law works for Oreilly's and can get a discount but they're still ~$80 per and that is without the balljoint so it seems like as good a deal as I'm going to get.

edit:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717785

here's the chronicle of other poo poo i thought I'd fix on this car and wound up loving up.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 26, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Stray thought, this is the second driver's side bearing to go bad on this car, the first about 6 years ago. Do I need to be looking for something else that is causing excessive wear?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did you replace it with OEM (or a decent aftermarket like Timken, SKF, FAG, etc) last time?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Did you replace it with OEM (or a decent aftermarket like Timken, SKF, FAG, etc) last time?

Unfortunately, I don't recall.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Got my parts in last week from 1AAuto. Opened them up this afternoon...hmm, this doesn't look right....oh, they shipped me tie rods for an F-350. Very nice. Let's see how their customer service is.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Got my parts in last week from 1AAuto. Opened them up this afternoon...hmm, this doesn't look right....oh, they shipped me tie rods for an F-350. Very nice. Let's see how their customer service is.

Pretty good, they're rushing out new parts and I can keep these F-350 tie rods. For self defense, I guess.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
haha those are probably beefier than any suspension component on your civic

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

User Error posted:

haha those are probably beefier than any suspension component on your civic

They are.... substantial

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

They are.... substantial

OK, so the right parts came in just now. I'm following their https://youtu.be/Ox0vdQR5H3U?t=122 guide and immediately run into a snag.

My car looks like this:

https://imgur.com/hsjFS0M

No stabilizer link. This is the driver's side which has had the bearing changed twice now so I checked the other side in case it had been forgotten but no stabilizer link either. What the hell?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile I didn't realize that I need to press the old ball joint out and press the new one in so I went down the Advanced to pick up a snap ring tool and they want $260 for the tool they use in the youtubes. And it isn't returnable. I mean goddamn, I've got a C-clamp. I think I'm going to let the ball joints lie for now and stick to the control arms.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

tactlessbastard posted:

Meanwhile I didn't realize that I need to press the old ball joint out and press the new one in so I went down the Advanced to pick up a snap ring tool and they want $260 for the tool they use in the youtubes. And it isn't returnable. I mean goddamn, I've got a C-clamp. I think I'm going to let the ball joints lie for now and stick to the control arms.

Harbor Freight is good for this kind of stuff but try Autozone or O'Reily too they all have different loaner tools (sometimes even varying per location)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

No stabilizer link. This is the driver's side which has had the bearing changed twice now so I checked the other side in case it had been forgotten but no stabilizer link either. What the hell?
If I'm looking at this right (and, no guarantee I am), that looks like it's a swaybar. Lots of cars don't have swaybars to begin with, and a fair number of vehicles that had them to begin with have had them removed. Since it looks like the mount is there on the control arm, it's even possible that your car had it and then it was removed.

Upside, you may be able to graft one on easily (since they exist on similar models) and it's a nice upgrade for on-road handling.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

If I'm looking at this right (and, no guarantee I am), that looks like it's a swaybar. Lots of cars don't have swaybars to begin with, and a fair number of vehicles that had them to begin with have had them removed. Since it looks like the mount is there on the control arm, it's even possible that your car had it and then it was removed.

Upside, you may be able to graft one on easily (since they exist on similar models) and it's a nice upgrade for on-road handling.

I'm the only owner of this thing and I know I didn't take them off... And who the hell would steal them?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm the only owner of this thing and I know I didn't take them off... And who the hell would steal them?
Ah. Well - it's not impossible they were stolen, but I'd bet it's more likely it just wasn't equipped with it, knowing that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
OK, well skipping the sway bar/stabilizer thing the driver's side LCA came off and the new one went on without too much drama. I've moved to the passenger side and even had a little help

However, I have beat the absolute poo poo out of this ball joint with the pickle fork and can't get it to let go. I think we've moved beyond 'leave the ball joint on it', too

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

However, I have beat the absolute poo poo out of this ball joint with the pickle fork and can't get it to let go. I think we've moved beyond 'leave the ball joint on it', too
Fire.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Torch the poo poo out of the LCA, or set the fucker on fire and buy another car?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Get the LCA good and hot, and snack it with a hammer. The ball joint should pop out. I'd recommend leaving the nut partially threaded as it will separate at speed.

Edit - or buy/rent a ball joint separator. I've never gotten much use out of pickle forks for their intended purpose.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 22, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

Torch the poo poo out of the LCA, or set the fucker on fire and buy another car?
Intentionally ambiguous.

And yeah, I'd agree with angryrobots. Definitely torch the LCA good and hot and hammer it, but also, if you can, get the separator - they work better.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Also put your floor jack under the end of the ball joint and get some preload on the suspension. Then use a sledge hammer on the outside of the control arm where the ball joint is mounted. That usually helps

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

Also put your floor jack under the end of the ball joint and get some preload on the suspension. Then use a sledge hammer on the outside of the control arm where the ball joint is mounted. That usually helps

Fire did it just fine. Ran out of daylight though so I'll be diving into ball joint replacing tomorrow AM, which is slightly more involved than I had envisioned.

Remove the wheel hub, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So harbor freight is a 40 minute drive from here

:argh: