Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoiler policy: This is a blind playthrough of a pretty new game, so for both my sake and for others, no spoilers for the story of any kind. Spoilers for the previous two Metro game along with the book trilogy ARE allowed. :siren:

Metro 2033 was originally a Russian novel written by Dmitry Glukhovsky and released in 2005 (Russia) and 2010 (United States). In this story, the world has been destroyed through nuclear war, and in Russia, a large group of people managed to survive in the underground metro stations. Since the bombs dropped, mutants, bandits and unexplained anomalies have surfaced within the tunnels, making survival a massive challenge. Twenty years later, our protagonist, Artyom, is sent on an errand to a far-away station in an attempt to save the very metro itself from mysterious beings known as the Dark Ones. Since then, two more books and two video games had been released, with the books and games following their own continuities. Metro Exodus is the third game in the series, having released just earlier this month on the 15th. In this game, Artyom and his wife Anna leave the oppressing walls of the Moscow Metro and venture outwards to find survivors in other parts of Russia after Artyom picked up a faint radio signal one day. As mentioned above, this is a live and blind playthrough of the game, and I actually know very little about the game outside the main premise, though I have done playthroughs of the previous two games, which can be found here and am very familiar with the overall lore of the series. I will try and find all the collectibles I can, but won't be able to get all of them. I am aware there are multiple endings, though how many I am not sure of. I will play as I would normally play and game, and will simply accept whichever ending I happen to get.

So Long, Metro:
Part 1 - The Aurora
Part 2 - Church of the Water Tsar
Part 3 - Trouble With the Tsar Fish
Part 4 - The Bunkers Have Eyes
Part 5 - Caspian
Part 6 - Caspian Sidequests
Part 7 - Anna's Condition
Part 8 - Taiga
Part 9 - The Forest Master
Part 10 - Into the Metro
Part 11 - The Exodus' End

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
In a nutshell, epic games bought the exclusive rights to sell this game on pc a few weeks before release, after it had been on steam as a preorder for a good long while, people didn't really take kindly to this.

Also I'd check if there's motion aim in this, would probably help your aiming a lot :v: (Oh and a Klick is a Kilometre)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nalesh posted:

In a nutshell, epic games bought the exclusive rights to sell this game on pc a few weeks before release, after it had been on steam as a preorder for a good long while, people didn't really take kindly to this.

Also I'd check if there's motion aim in this, would probably help your aiming a lot :v:
I can imagine, that's a pretty lovely move.

Sadly, no such luck with the motion aim function.

Part 2 - Church of the Water Tsar

Things picked up really fast in this episode. Almost right away I encounter a cult that worships a giant monstrous fish in the nearby lake. Sadly these chumps got nothing on the Great Worm Cult from the first book, which was a lot cooler and even had a whole bunch of lore to go along with it. One genuine problem I'm having with this game so far is everyone keeps talking over each other. Seems like if two or more people are nearby Artyom, they'll all blabber in his ear at once and it comes to the point where I have trouble following what's going on and what I should do. Like when I went into the room with the mother and daughter, the two of them along with Anna kept talking at the same time to the point where I only had the gist of the mother and daughter's story while playing and didn't know exactly what Anna wanted me to do. Being in the room with all the cult members was just headache inducing because it felt like a dozen people were going off at once and I wasn't able to follow any of it as I played. It was a nice treat to get to see mutants though. In the books, the mutants got mentioned from time to time, but I don't recall Artyom really encountering any of them. At least none of the more extreme mutants like ones with trails or no heads. Hopefully more mutated mutants show up, rather than just somewhat generic zombie-type ones. Also surprised at how poorly I'm doing with the game so far. I was by no means an expert with the last two games, but I really did poorly once the mutants show up, where I was constantly out of ammo. I apologize for that, and hopefully I won't do so poorly in future episodes, I may even just go ahead and go Reader mode to help speed things along and make things less clunky.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Trouble With the Tsar Fish

Well things go a lot more swimmingly this time around due to me changing the difficulty. I have to say, it's pretty interesting doing all these quests in a Metro game considering the first two were pretty linear. Just going from Point A to Point B and not much else to do in the meantime except maybe find some extra gear or listen to NPCs chatter. I'm hoping the complexity of this side content intensifies later on since I can't say rescuing some rear end in a top hat cultists or getting a teddy bear guarded by a single enemy is all too exciting. Doesn't help that it can take some time to get to the proper locations, so it almost felt like a waste of time. I looked it up on the Metro Wiki and apparently yes, the Demons got redesigned as these horrifying man/bat hybrids, very different from how they were presented in the other two games. Glad the Tsar Fish wasn't wasted, I was hoping he'd pop up again in a more direct confrontation. Surprised I didn't end up killing him though, especially since I doubt I'll be facing him again. Doesn't seem like much room in this area to do anything water-related as part of the main mission is all.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - The Bunkers Have Eyes

I actually thought that Tsar Fish was gonna pop up again near the start of the video or when Artyom and the others went to the bridge by boat. The last Metro game already showed that having a boss fight with a giant monster isn't beyond the realm of possibility with the series. Even more surprised there was no option to kill the cult leader or let him live as it seemed like the perfect place for a karmic choice. There really doesn't seem to be as much going on in this game that effects karma, at least in comparison to the previous two games. It certainly doesn't feel that way, though I may just be missing a lot of karma gain/loss situations. I think the only time I had the chance to explicitly lose karma was killing people when they gave up. Of course the bunker situation was very obviously going to go to poo poo, I just thought the government guys would be regular evil, not a whole bunch of cannibals ready to dine on Artyom and friends. They sure are an idiotic bunch, coming at me with hatchets and torches before pulling out the guns. At least that one guy had the brains to put on armor and bring a huge gun to mow me down. Really curious as to where the story is going to go once the bunker is escaped.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Caspian

Have to admit, I'm surprised we get this new biome in the game. I was kind of expecting to just see snow and rocks for most of the game, or at least just areas similar to the Volga area. Speaking of which, turns out you can kill the Tsar Fish, but for some reason it's an optional thing to do. Feels a bit strange to me, but whatever. Despite not usually being fond of desert biomes, though I guess technically it's kind of a shore/beach biome, I like the change of scenery. A bit disappointed in the lack of new mutant monsters, at least so far. That is, new mutants to the Metro series, not ones from previous games like the Spiderbugs. Speaking of which, the journey through the Spiderbug-infected bunker wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it'd be. Despite myself, I always got a bit freaked out in Spiderbug sessions in previous games, but this one wasn't bad at all. Also, I can't believe it took all of five minutes for Artyom and the crew to run into another cult. These things just pop up everywhere, don't they?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Caspian Sidequests

Not much in terms of story progression this video, aside from getting my next batch of orders from Miller that is. Decided to ditch the van with the knowledge it'd take longer to walk about because God drat was it annoying to deal with. It's unusual, aside from straight-up game crashes, I've had pretty good luck avoiding glitches in my playthroughs. The only two glitches I can remember are the one in this video, and one during Metro: Last Light. Stupid strange Metro eldritch magic at work here, I guess. My only theory on what the gently caress happened was I guess when the Demon divebombed the van, it somehow managed to get close enough to Artyom that the "pick up and carry" attack triggered and the game had no idea how to handle that sequence being activated while I was driving and so it freaked the gently caress out. Pretty entertaining though, I gotta say. A bit disappointed that there's still a lack of brand new mutant creatures in this area, which I've talked about before. Except now I've gone pretty much everywhere, so if one was going to pop up, it probably would have by now. I've noticed a lack of new enemy types in the game overall, honestly. It's really just been that Tsar Fish and the mutant people, everything else has appeared in previous games. Though I guess the Demon did get a redesign, which looks plenty freaky so that's a plus.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Anna's Condition

I think I'm supposed to warn that there's some brief nipple shots in this video, but nothing too gratuitous.

Somewhat surprised the final assault on the Baron wasn't just Artyom and the group storming his base, though I assume if I had gone in guns blazing things may have gone quite differently for the characters involved. Namely Guil and Demir but I can't say for sure. I love the little touch in the game that whenever Artyom comes back from dangerous mission and Anna sees him, she instantly goes to hug him and let him know she's glad he's okay. God drat wholesome is what it is. I like Anna, though it's hard to say I like the relationship itself when Artyom never actually talks to her because of the whole "silent protagonist" thing, despite the protagonist not really being truly silent. Still, Anna's part of it is nice. And of course anyone with half a brain realized was wrong with her when that cough of hers persisted. Hoping she makes it out alright, I'm going to guess that will change depending on the ending I get. Speaking of which, if I had to guess I'd say this may be the last area. A big green, lush forest that's the perfect place to plop down and truly live on the surface. Can't imagine a better final biome.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - Taiga

The idea of a laser sight or a scope on a crossbow is just so funny to me, I can't help it. That aside, this area has been pretty interesting so far. Artyom has so far been cut off from absolutely everyone, not even being able to communicate with a radio as he goes along. Really makes for a good feeling of isolation, at least as far as allies are concerned since there's crossbow-wielding enemies every few steps. I'm interested to find out what the deal is with these forest-dwelling people and the situation with this "Teacher" character. At the very least they don't seem quite like a cult...at least not entirely. And finally we get a brand new enemy type with the wolves, though I admit I try to avoid them as much as possible due to them traveling in large packs. While I wish we didn't just have to face off against another large bear, like in Last Light, at least the design of this one is far, far better. Of course, not facing a bear when in a big forest area would probably be even worse so I guess it's not too much of an issue. I just can't help but feel disappointed at the severe lack of brand new enemy types. Mutant humans and wolves are pretty much it, drastic redesigns like with the Demons not counting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - The Forest Master

Well, another area done. Goodbye, Valley. Finally got to tangle with a giant mutant boss which is nice. Shame it's another bear, like in Last Light, but at least the battle itself got changed up a bit. I looked on the Metro Wiki, and apparently the second fight was supposed to end that way. I guess I was just supposed to keep fighting until I eventually "lost" but still ending up with a win? I have no idea. I read the description for that Aloysha description I found, and it said I got it because Aloysha got out without getting injured, so I guess I must have done something right during the chapter. Speaking of which, I was mildly proud of myself for managing to brute-force my way out of that situation at the swamp camp even though it was my sheer stupidity that got me into that situation at all. I wonder what kind of area we'll go to next and if Anna will be okay. She's really started to grow on me, especially since I she was really annoying when first introduced in Last Light. I have a pretty strong feeling her living or dying will depend on what ending I get. Fingers crossed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Into the Metro

Back to old territories, it seems. Or at least, very similar looking ones. I kind of missed the suffocating, dark, terrifying tunnels of the metro. It's nice to be back in one after so long. I guess all metros are just haunted since this is the only time we've seen ghosts in the entire game. No other locations seem to have them. In a way, I like that because I loved the paranormal stuff in the series and missed seeing it in this game. On the other hand, it makes the Moscow Metro seem a lot less special, although in that tunnel, there seemed to be straight-up minor deities skulking about the tunnel in the games and books. There was the implication in the books especially that the Moscow Metro was always...off. There was always something deeply wrong with it, even before the bombs fell. I recall Homer talking about how he was a conductor in the metro before the bombs fell, and how mysterious disappearances would occur in the tunnels, and the higher-ups would tell him to just shut up and pretend nothing happened. Made the entire tunnel system seem cursed, a curse that increased tenfold when the bombs fell. Either way, I won't shy away from any ghosts or eldritch entities despite them making the Moscow tunnels seem less unique. Bring that poo poo on, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - The Exodus' End

I know what I said in the OP, but I couldn't stop myself from wanting to get the good ending, hence how long it took for this episode to come out. Had to replay the whole game and I unfortunately didn't have a lot of time to do so. Pretty typical good ending and bad ending situation going on here, and just like in Last Light, the bad ending involves Artyom dying. Sad that Miller dies no matter what you do, but having him more heavily involved in the main story was a nice treat. I never even stopped to thing, not even as I was doing my second playthrough, that the difference between Artyom surviving or not would be that there'd be more people on the train to give him blood. Seems really obvious now that I've seen it happen. Overall, I had fun with the game, I gotta respect the really ballsy decision to make a Metro game that takes place out of any kind of metro for 90% of it. Didn't really feel like a Metro game in those parts, but that's not automatically bad. The concept of having sidequests was nice and I wish there were more of them to do. That being said, aside from the occasional karma, there's no real reward for doing any sidequests except for more materials or weapons to loot off of bandits, but that hardly seems fair to count. I'd totally be down for a fourth game where, as I said in the video, the crew goes back to convince the Moscow Metro that there's a place for them above-ground they can live in peace. This way the game can take place nearly exclusively in the familiar, dark tunnels we all know and love. I tried searching about and there's been no news I've come across on whether this is meant to be the last game or not. It's worth noting the book series is all over, but that doesn't automatically mean no more Metro games. Can't find any information on planned DLC either, though even if there is I'm not sure I'll show it. Maybe if it continued off the main story, but who knows. And chances are if DLC does come out, it will be released long after this thread locks anyway, so who knows? I'd be fine with either outcome.