Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Spoilers for a fun sequence in Alien Isolation & a nice throwback of sorts:

When you board the Anesidora whose interior is based heavily on the Nostromo, there's limited lighting at first, then you see what looks like an Alien right in front of you...only for it to be just a part of the ships' equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Livo posted:

Spoilers for a fun sequence in Alien Isolation & a nice throwback of sorts:

When you board the Anesidora whose interior is based heavily on the Nostromo, there's limited lighting at first, then you see what looks like an Alien right in front of you...only for it to be just a part of the ships' equipment

Hah! Yes, I remember that now that you mention it.

I just about jumped out of my skin.

I also watched Alien last night. Unfortunately my small(er) town doesn’t show old films so it was at home, but it’s still an all-time top three film for me.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I read the first two issues of the Burke comic and I'm not wild about 2 aspects. The company 100% would have covered up the real events of lv 426 to the general public. And they are trying to give Burke any level compassion for others. He was an irredeemable remorseless piece of poo poo from the start. He sent the knowingly colonist there to get impregnated in the first place. I could buy the "saving my wife at any cost" aspect though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 28, 2024

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

redshirt posted:

What if? question: Could you save the mission to LV-426? If so, what would you have done differently? And try to be reasonable with hindsight.

Like, for me, I find it unconscionable that the ship in orbit was left so unmanned and unable to provide assistance to the ground forces.

It would have least allowed them to retreat without losing everyone.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Mission could’ve been a partial salvage if the dropship had stayed airborne, rather than landed and an alien got aboard. Bishop would’ve had all the time in the world to study the xenos, and WY probably would’ve gotten better data out of it before the descent into David-style madness

MarcusSA posted:

They could have just nuked it from orbit.

We're all forgetting that an egg and possibly two facehuggers appeared on the Sulaco completely inexplicably. The xenomorphs work in mysterious ways...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Doctor Zero posted:

I recognized it too, but I started to doubt myself when it didn’t attack. I think it’s there for people to see or not. It does blend in pretty well with the equipment if you aren’t looking for it.

Same with the hive walls in Aliens.

Yeah the main takeaway with that scene is just about how well the creature blends into its surroundings. Some folks will be caught off guard, others might be like "isn't that the alien's head? ...or maybe not. OH poo poo" and still others will be all "hey the alien is right loving there, you better move your rear end, Sigourney Weaver! There, see? What'd I tell you!" And I don't think any of those is a more 'correct' reaction at all.

The post-self destruct scene with Ripley casually hitting switches in her undies has gone on for so long at that point that even first-timers watching in 1979 KNEW the creature was still alive and chilling in the shuttle somewhere, it was all about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Put on the Alien soundtrack at work today. It was fun watching customers get startled and bewildered by some of the big orchestral hits.

"The Droid" is my motherfuckin' jam!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79OJP4-3gU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

deoju posted:

I read the first two issues of the Burke comic and I'm not wild about 2 aspects. The company 100% would have covered up the real events of lv 426 to the general public. And they are trying to give Burke any level compassion for others. He was an irredeemable remorseless piece of poo poo from the start. He sent the knowingly colonist there to get impregnated in the first place. I could buy the "saving my wife at any cost" aspect though.

lovely people often change their tune when they are affected personally.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The post-self destruct scene with Ripley casually hitting switches in her undies has gone on for so long at that point that even first-timers watching in 1979 KNEW the creature was still alive and chilling in the shuttle somewhere, it was all about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yeah, that too. I was thinking, “okay why aren’t the credits rolling?” And also “I should probably be enjoying seeing an adult woman in a skimpy top and undies but I am way too terrified for that.” :lol: