Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Next week's games
Saturday
Apollos @ Iron - 2PM (TNT)
Stallions @ Fleet - 8PM (NFL Network)

Sunday
Express @ Legends - 4PM (CBS Sports Network)
Commanders @ Hotshots - 8PM (NFL Network)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
APOLLOS!!!!!!!! Still undefeated.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
THE MEMPHIS EXPRESS ARE GOING 4-6 YOU BETTER WATCH THE gently caress OUT

The West is going to be fun to watch.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hack never should've started.

https://twitter.com/PFF_AAF/status/1103091076712329216?s=19

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The AAF trend of replacing your QB with your 2nd string for an instant upgrade has me worried for Perez's future. I know his receivers have been dropping passes left and right and he was up against the Memphis defense last week, but the guy needs to get the ball out of his hands.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Apollos taking prime time over!

Not prime time exactly, but TNT.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1103141905271939073?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/1103480769249509377

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You wouldn't think they'd want under contract players being exposed to injury. I guess if it's practice squad/fringe roster players it might be fine.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

https://twitter.com/aafiron/status/1103693012297756674

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the actual Polian quote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gn=theurbannewz

quote:

Alliance of American Football co-founder and head of football Bill Polian said Wednesday there have been informal discussions about the possibility of NFL teams loaning younger players to AAF teams in the future.

“The talk is ramping up – I’ll say that,” Polian said.

Polian there have been no formal talks, “but lots of NFL people have bandied about that thought with lots of us.”

The idea would be for NFL teams to assign their No. 3 quarterback and other players from the bottom half of their roster and developmental squads to gain more playing time under quality coaches. The AAF has several proven name coaches, including Steve Spurrier, Mike Singletary, Rick Neuheisel and Mike Martz.

This would be similar to young major league baseball players going down to a Class AAA affiliate to gain a few more at-bats.

“As a broadcaster for almost 20 years, and talking to (NFL) coaches, one of the things they have been frustrated with on this latest CBA is the reduction of meeting time and practice time,” San Antonio Commanders general manager Daryl Johnston said. “They just don’t think the guys are getting enough repetition.”

The AAF has launched to good reviews this season, producing favorable television ratings with an entertaining level of football.

Polian didn’t speculate whether an arrangement with the NFL could happen by the AAF’s second season.

“Those discussions will continue but whether they bear fruit remains to be seen,” Polian said. “There are lots of procedural hurdles that have to be crossed before you could make that happen.”

This kind of arrangement would fit well into the AAF’s game plan for the league.

“When we started this journey,” Johnson said. “The one big thing we wanted to do was to be complementary to the NFL with the hope that someday we could be a developmental component to what they are doing."

That's promising

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

playing year-round is great for the league like it is for basketball but they need to get a lot of injuries out of the sport before all the players that it would benefit would buy into it.

you know that a minor league sport has made it when you bash the poo poo out of a used honda painted up like the enemy team

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hifi posted:

playing year-round is great for the league like it is for basketball but they need to get a lot of injuries out of the sport before all the players that it would benefit would buy into it.

Brings up a good point - when I was a kid I followed indoor lacrosse, and a lot of the players who played for MILL/NLL during the winter would play up in Canada during the summer - John Tavares was famous for doing this, and he credited year-round play for keeping him in shape

Is kicker the only position where year-round play would be beneficial to a football player?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I could see it being beneficial for players in positions like receiver, corner, QB, kicker, punter etc. But only IF they don't get concussions or torn ACLs.

Plus if the cba protects players from practicing too much seems like it would protect them from this too

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Playing year round would absolutely destroy most linemen

Do a spring flag/touch league

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I imagine the ones interested here are backups and fringe roster guys looking to show they can play. Starters aren't going to risk injury for 80k.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
2 of the best players in the AAF matching up this weekend.

https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1104111960445005824

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

hifi posted:

you know that a minor league sport has made it when you bash the poo poo out of a used honda painted up like the enemy team

3rd quarterbacks generally don't play in the fall.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The AAF is now known as The Alliance of Apollos Football.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Views: Fleet, bitch

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Salt Lake/San Diego was wild as gently caress, what a game.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat, missed a good one it seems.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

wandler20 posted:

The AAF is now known as The Alliance of Apollos Football.

I picked a good team to follow. To be fair they have the best name/uniform combo in the AAF and NFL so it wasn't tough.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Change the NFL Pro Bowl to a game between the defending AAF Champions and the NFL All-Stars

Orlando clowning Team NFL as their preseason warmup for 2020 would be lovely

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Birmingham Iron suck and as soon as I get home I'm burning my Trent Richardson jersey

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GD_American posted:

The Birmingham Iron suck and as soon as I get home I'm burning my Trent Richardson jersey

I thought Trent Richardson was the best part of that game for the Iron?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ulmont posted:

I thought Trent Richardson was the best part of that game for the Iron?

I dunno, I was in class. I saw where Perez got subbed out, but unless they replaced his entire WR contingent I don't know how long-term of a fix it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

GD_American posted:

I dunno, I was in class. I saw where Perez got subbed out, but unless they replaced his entire WR contingent I don't know how long-term of a fix it will be.

Perez was shell shocked and not making reads.

Price came in and was effective moving on to his second and third reads but didn't have the arm strength to make some of the throws he tried to make.