Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheDiceBagLady posted:

It launches tomorrow! I'm mucking about with some more photos which I'll be dribbling out (ew), but in the meantime.... Paul has finished The Ghoul Matriarch and she's the most wonderful thing I've ever seen!

Here's a tease!

She certainly seems, uh... shapely!

Can't wait, these look super useful so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
AND WE'RE LIVE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
GHOOOOUUUUUULS

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Thank you, thank you! The ghoul-a-ning has begun! All hail the ghouls!

I am very delighted that you appear to be almost as excited by ghouls as I am, or just backing the project due to fear - both valid choices.

The first stretch goal has been unlocked, at £3000! Hooray!

This 28-piece resin set is perfect for building your spooky scene straight away. We've taken parts of many of our spooky scenics, to put together in a fresh mould so you can have this variety without having to spend a fortune on all the full sets. You can do that as well though, if you want! To add this set to your pledge, increase it by £35.

I'm really happy with this set, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. If this is popular, I'm more likely to do this with other themes of our sets later on.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

It's pootling along nicely! I'm extra appreciative of anyone who shares it to... anywhere! As social media at the moment is on fire, it's hard to get anybody to see anything. Also it's a lot more...nude than the usual Bad Squiddo productions!

We're on Day 3 of the Wonderful World of GHOULS, live now on Kickstarter. Something especially wonderful about ghouls is how they fit into every scenario. Any era can be jazzed up with some ghouls, not just your classic fantasy horror.

Here, much like a herd of guinea pigs around a large, freshly discovered vegetable, the ghouls have swarmed this downed plane in the midst of WW2.

This scene features not only our fresh ghouls from Paul Muller, but also existing ghouls from Andrew May and snuurg, which you may have missed the first time around.

Diorama base by F4freddieterrafirma, backdrop with permission from Handiwork Games . Minis painted by Mystic Spirals Miniatures , Warpfiend Studios , Andrew Taylor & Ralph Plowman. Photo by Annie Norman.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Hooray, we had a nice bit of activity this morning and have almost unlocked Chopper! We might have even unlocked her by the time you read this, fingers crossed!

She's temporarily nicknamed Chopper..... but you know what happens when I do that, it's never temporary! Sculpted by Shane Hoyle, She is single piece pewter.
You can add her to your pledge by increasing the total by £5.

Something we don't do TOO often, is a backer number pledge goal.

We also don't give TOO much away, being a small company we can't afford to, which is why the best deals are usually the bigger the bundles you get.

SO, at 140 backers (fingers crossed again) everyone at Fresh Ghouls pledge level and above will get a FREE MODEL. A FREE MODEL! We've just cracked 100 backers, so let's spread the word and get that number up, this mini is lovely.

What's next after this?

More minis! These (and the above) are minis that have already been sculpted, which is why they are before MORE GHOULS in the unlocking order. As I'm hoping these will help bump the total up enough to be able to afford more ghouls to be sculpted. It feels weird to say, but this is how Kickstarters were always supposed to be.

I LOVE these ladies below, I still haven't decided whether they will be separate goals or a single two pack yet, but by the time we've got this far, we'll be able to free Paul Muller from his dungeon to sculpt more ghouls. He has the putty and the tools, but he's currently locked up. Could "Free Paul Muller from the Dungeon" be a stretch goal? It'll be something like £5,500-£6,000, so not far off! I'd like the ghoul unlock to be a pack of THREE, which would most likely be £12.

Blackjack Legacy

At 9pm UK time tonight (Monday), I'll be on Blackjack Legacy, it's a really chilled-out show, great people in the chat, basically a bigger version of my Sunday Morning Coffee!

You can watch it live, or at a later date if you can't make it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Z9wZBTOPg

Partizan

The last day of the Kickstarter is this Sunday, where I'll be at Partizan - a convention in Newark, UK. I don't have a trade stand as I'll be helping Fenris Games, but I'm also on the prowl for more ghoul fans. I'll have a ghoul t shirt on, and actually have some of the painted ghouls with me, and some casts! So if you see me - come ask about me ghoulies!

Thanks for reading, I hope your Monday hasn't been too painful!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Hooray, Chopper has escaped the holding pen of stretch goals and is now rampaging around unlocked! To add her to your pledge, just increase it by £5.

And I am very excited to show you the next one....

Classic Adventurers!

These look like such a joy to paint. I know they're not ghouls, but I'm hoping enough people who love ghouls will love these, and it'll push us that last bit to being able to get more ghouls sculpted by the end of the campaign! The greater good! There's just REALLY COOL minis too, and I can definitely see them jumping through portals chasing ghouls around through different eras and places. There's definitely a homage to some classics in their design too. Sculpted by Shane Hoyle.

You could increase your pledge by £8 if you want to help unlock them, we're not far off now! Woo!

AND THEN
GHOULS!
PRECIOUS GHOULS!

If we get to this point, we will have another set of THREE ghouls, sculpted by Paul Muller. Unless he goes really wild with the design, they'll be £12 for the 3. I'm excited that it's looking more likely we'll get there now. Thank you everyone who has been sharing the campaign around, it makes so much difference.

and a couple more of the photos I've been playing with on those Jon Hodgson backdrops, with my terrain collection, and just a camera phone!

Link to the campaign is here>> http://kck.st/48nVBhI

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Wahey we had a nice little surge last night (thank you!) and it unlocked.... the Classic Adventurers! Please do tell your chums about these that might not have peeped due to ghoul aversion, as they are a bit of a hidden gem.

MORE GHOULS

And now we're currently only about £250 away from unlocking.... more ghouls! Hooray! It's actually happening! I was worrying we were too far away but it's looking more and more doable, so much that Paul Muller has made a start. SQUEE!

As it says on the image, the photo here has three angles of the same ghoul - only one has been sculpted so far! But he is beavering away on the second ghoul, as we speak. I have given him briefs, but for this project, I have let Mr. Muller use my notes as a baseline, and if he feels a specific ghoul calling, he can sculpt in that direction. So all we really know is that it will be three lady ghouls.

Doesn't the first one look ace though! She beckons you...

To help unlock them you can add £12 to your current pledge, so fingers crossed we get there!

It's not a poo on her base, it's a tester bit of sculpting putty so the sculptor can prod it and see what level of dry it is, without damaging the mini, it will be gone before moulding!

All Kickstarter and no play makes Annie craaaaaazy....

My flyers are here! They are very specific flyers, only for use, in person, this Sunday at the Partizan show in Newark. There are usually around 1000 visitors, how many do you think I'll manage to convince about the mighty word of ghoul over those few hours?

Spoooky Scenic Set

I filmed this video yesterday showing more details of what you get in this lovely set (you can add it to your pledge by increasing it by £35)

https://youtu.be/l4nhjl1rF_E?si=yPdjOIMdrCMWqJp7

A couple more of the photos I've been taking! On the Jon Hodgson photo backdrops, which you'll be able to add afterwards in the pledge manager if you wish!

The farm animals look on with horror as they see another critter have it's soul sucked out.

Thanks as always, especially for this latest lil surge, we can get that RISING DAWN and EXTRA GHOULS out there, we can, we can!

Thank you

Queen of the Ghouls

Anniiiiiiiie

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Here we go, the final countdown!

And what perfect timing as I have JUST been sent fresh ghoul pics. The best things to arrive unexpectedly in one's DMs.

The final pack to be unlocked, The Ghouls Yet to be Named, now have two [mostly] complete sculpts! They take time, so the third won't be complete until after the campaign has ended (estimated Tuesday), but you can see how brilliant the first two are! You can add these to your pledge for £12.

Three Pewter Miniatures sculpted by Paul Muller. Second ghoul needs her left hand finishing! WIP!

Here are more angles of the latest ghoul. They're rough pics from Paul, and I'm out of the office so I can't do my usual sleek editing. This one will be in two pieces, joined around the waist.

A FREE DAWN

Dawn has now been unlocked.... almost! Well, 139 backers, so hopefully by the time I have finished typing this she will have been!

If you've pledged for Fresh Ghouls or higher, you will automatically receive her free with your pledge. You don't need to do anything, she is yours, woohoo!

ANOTHER FREE THING?

I know right, hold me back, I'm out of control! There's no picture yet as it doesn't exist but.....
A GUINEA PEEG EATING A GHOULS HEAD

At last, they will defeat the ghouls, at last they will have revenge.

Well, hopefully. If we reach £7,000 by 8pm Sunday. It's a wild feat, but not impossible! Help the peegs win!

If unlocked, this will be added automatically to all pledges of Fresh Ghouls & Above.

PARTIZAN

Tomorrow I will be at the Partizan trade show in Newark. I'm not trading as Bad Squiddo, but I will be based in the far left corner of the hall with Fenris Games, and next to Great Escape Games - who are conveniently stocking Bad Squiddo!

I have specially made a mini Ghoul Display Cabinet for the occasion! It's so cute! And you'll be able to see the painted ghouls in person, as well as hold some of the casts in your hands. And talk to meeeee, about ghouls.

There are other erm, stealth marketing schemes going on there that day, which gives me some hope for unlocking that Final Peeg. Watch and see....watch and see....

THANK YOU

Thank you for supporting this, it means so much to myself, and the independent artists also involved in the project, such as the sculptors, figure painters and the graphic artist. Supporting these little ventures makes a huge difference and champions unique & innovative expression. Also, everyone involved is lovely.

AFTER THE CAMPAIGN ENDS

If you don't hear from me before then in this official update capacity, my weekly live show is on at 8pm tomorrow night, yes, literally just after the KS finishes! So you can see a very tired Annie discussing how it's all gone, as well as how Partizan was. Time to flood this around the internet, and maybe get some of that sleep stuff I hear so much about!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You know, I hadn't considered ghouls, thank you.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Yay consider the ghoul!

I've had a super day at Partizan, nice to show people the ghouls in the flesh! Just a few hours left so plugging away in hope we unlock the last stretch goal at £7000 - a guinea pig eating a ghoul head! Revenge for them!

http://kck.st/48nVBhI

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

The KS was ace!

And look I'm on this thread with non Kickstarter related news, hooray!

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Halloween-Deals/c/158504353

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

GHOULS!
The pledge manager is now available!

And open for late pledges if you missed it,

All the info is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls/posts/3965670

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Just popping this here....

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh nice!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

We're officially launching on the 30th January, and anyone at Vapnartak in York, I'll bring some sample prints you can have a closer look at,

You can sign up now here
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-backdrops-two-backdrops-boogaloo/

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looking forward to more backdrops. Also looking forward to my Ghouls, just had the shipping notice :)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I love everything behind the entire concept of what you're doing here. I also LOVE finding gnarly lady monsters that are allowed to be as gross and unsexy as a male monster. These ghoul gals are magnificent.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Yay! Thank you! The ghouls are pretty much all shipped (rest will go out in a week or two) so super early, well happy about that! Then they'll be in the shop, just in time for The Old World fever!

----

BACKDROPS 2: BACKDROPS BOOGALOO!

>> SIGN UP HERE <<

This launches on TUESDAY, that's Tuesday 30th January - very soon indeed!

I am REALLY chuffed to be working the fantastic artist Jon Hodgson on these again. They're by him aka Handiwork Games, but I'm on board to assist with various bits and bobs of the campaign. Second brains are always handy. I help!

The first two books will be RUINS AND TUNNELS - one sci fi, one fantasy, as well as the existing books in A3 size.

If the campaign goes as wild as the last one, Jon has been frantically painting on some examples of other books we can add as stretch goals, including WINTER and CLOUDS. And perhaps those in A3 too?

WHAT ARE THEY?

Last year, after an enthusiastic chat at UK Games Expo and doing the spiderman meme of "wait, we're the same!" the idea formed to turn some of Jon's backdrop art into a published book, so everybody had access to them in high quality print.

We put together a short Kickstarter on a hope and a dream, and IT WENT WILD. The phonecalls were mostly going "OH MY WORD THEY'VE SMASHED ANOTHER STRETCH GOAL WHAT DO WE DO!" and so the SECOND book came about - Sci Fi Designs.

Since then, they've only gained and gained in popularity and we realised there are SO MANY different themes we can do. We being Jon doing the actual work and me saying "Hey this could be cool." TEAMWORK!

You can buy these NOW from the Bad Squiddo Games shop, also Handiwork Games, the latter is the only place you can purchase the commercial license if you wish to use these...commercially!

HOW DO YOU USE THEM?

You simply pop them behind your minis and take a photo! It helps make your minis look cooler, and it can be as simple as that, or a tool for more elaborate scene making. During the last campaign I found a new passion for photographing miniatures so I am hoping to share this with you over the next week - what I have learnt along the way and top tips and tricks.

Here is one of Jon's example pics, expect to see lots more like this. Literally a hill, a book,, the mini, and some blocks of wood (it can be anything, I use books!) He's written a series of tutorials on how to make a photo rock and taking the photos.Click here for them. and I made a nice little video with some tips here.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Having such a big catalogue to choose from, I decided this morning to focus just on the same background, and the Krautcover Soil of Sparta (my favourite). Simple changes like slightly different lighting can change the feel of the scene.

All the minis shown are from Bad Squiddo Games, Rubble City from Fenris, bits and bobs by Bad Squiddo, and other bits of terrain made by berlintuesday.

These backdrops work by simply putting the model in front of them, or even better - on a little plinth, but I like to see where I can push it by making whole scenes. And it's a great excuse to show off some Bad Squiddo minis!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

I made this scene to reflect me having a break between all the million things I have to do before Vapnartak!

That sitting down ATS lady is so versatile, she's seen some things, for sure.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Looking forward to more backdrops! I've only had a chance to play around a little bit with the first batch but they've been great already

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah the backdrops are great. I need to get a proper rig and some base boards up for photos but so far been getting by with some boxes and dice trays (made from gaming mat offcuts I got years ago at Spiel).

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Yessss, it's wicked seeing other people's pics with them, and dear lord those minions.

and thanks for replying, I know lots of people read this thread but it's nice to be assured I'm not just chatting to myself :D

launches tomorrow! I THINK 5pm uk time

-----

Here's a short video that shows off some of the new ones, I've had more land since then so I'll show them off in the next couple days, but also get Jon to put them all together in smaller images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn4o0PTKco&t=1s

and a peek of one of the new ruins from the fantasy ruins book

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

AND WE'RE LIVE!

Please help share around, weeeeeeeeeee!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-backdrops-two-backdrops-boogaloo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Changing the name may be more trouble then it's worth, but if you start getting weird comments on the KS be aware that the term "boogaloo" has some baggage in the US at the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Oh lawd, thanks for the tip off! I had no idea! (You can't change the link but you can change the title, I don't know if doing that would look worse or not!) Hopefully it comes across that we're not wronguns, either way!

TheDiceBagLady fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Oh lawd, thanks for the tip off! I had no idea! (You can't change the link but you can change the title, I don't know if doing that would look worse or not!) Hopefully it comes across that we're not wronguns, either way!

Anyone who reads beyond the title will figure it out quickly, I'm sure! And don't worry too much, plenty of people made "x 2: y Boogaloo" jokes in good faith without knowing the word had been co-opted. Avoid igloos and Hawaiian shirts on the page and you'll probably be okay. :)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just wanted to say congrats on hitting almost £14K in less than 24 hours.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I love my first set so this was an insta-back for me.

That said, for the next one y'all should REALLY get your OTT van wizard aesthetic on. >:D

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Midjack: Cheers! We mentioned it in the update JUST IN CASE anyone was unsure!

Gravitas Shortfall: Thanks, pretty gobsmacked!

sasha_d3ath: Yussss thank you! I actually want to, I've been mucking about already with some silly foreground stuff, the bright blue tunnel works well. There are so many ideas of where to go with them, it's pretty cool.

------

WELL THAT ESCALATED! Thank you!

From Jon:

"
We're racing through those stretch goals! Thank you so much for your support!

A lot has happened in the campaign, but I don't want to bombard you with updates on every little detail, so we'll keep it to one a day!

Last night we unlocked the two new books - Fantasy Ruins and Tunnels, and Sci-fi Ruins and Interiors - in A3 size. You can add those onto your existing pledge, or get a pledge level for just those books.

The Winter Backdrops Book is also unlocked, and maxed out as I'm typing this! You can now add it to your pledge as an Add On, or pledge for it on its own. I think it's going to become a fast favourite for the sheer moodiness and story it brings.

We're looking at Winter in A3! Exciting times!"

Here's one of Jon's pics, i love the little fire in the barrow

and a couple of mine! I've been taking most of these on my phone to show how it can be done without anything too fancy

If you have the two existing books, I'd love to see what you've been doing with them, please do post below,

I get hold of some A3 test prints tomorrow so I can't wait to muck about with those, and show you the scale comparison and whatnot.

link to Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-backdrops-two-backdrops-boogaloo

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Jon Hodgson's stuff is cool, it inspired me to take up watercolours to make my own backgrounds!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Team_q posted:

Jon Hodgson's stuff is cool, it inspired me to take up watercolours to make my own backgrounds!

That's wicked! It's make me ponder it too, especially much larger ones for mighty shots. A Bob Ross background behind the minis..... hehe.

Jon lives in a particularly picturesque part of Scotland, so the scenes he shows me of his casual dog walks show where the inspiration for lots of them come from, it's beautiful. I don't get that same inspiration in Nottingham :D

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

SKIES ARE UNLOCKED!

We've nearly unlocked everything.

Please do have a peep as there's so much more in there now
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-backdrops-two-backdrops-boogaloo

I've been playing with some sheets of the A3, still test prints but these ones are closer to what the book will be. They are stunning art pieces in their own right.

I've used a single figure to show the difference here

and a line for more scale, all 25mm bases.

I'll be playing with busier pics tomorrow; I wanted to show you some idea of scale first.

Here's A3 next to A4, ignore those shadows, the office lighting is terrible, thats just some stuff above making a shadow, it's not on the print!

and one of the sky pics from Jon, more to come:

The extra cool thing about this book is that it's not tied to any location or time period, so the most versatile.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

I've been busy packing for Vapnartak this Sunday (in York, come say hello if you're there!) but managed to get some photos sorted in between.

I'm REALLY enjoying the A3 backdrops. I really enjoy building little scenes so having more backdrop gives more room to play, the extra height is also really useful.

This photo was taken quickly with a camera phone before I left work last night and it's so beautifull!

Here is one of the sci fi A3 backdrops with an unreleased Bad Squiddo mini (just not released YET!)

And I keep meaning to take more photographs that use more figures, so heres another of the A3 Sci Fi book to show some of our Ghosts of Gaia range.

Here's the link, we've almost unlocked A3 skies!

http://kck.st/4bj1q1C

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

EVERYTHING IS UNLOCKED!

I managed to get the last of my own Kickstarter: "Ghouls by Paul Muller" all shipped out before traveling, just as the latest painted ones arrived, yay! This is another shot on A3.

and all the books, for reference

(A3 Skies backdrop IS unlocked, image just hasn't been updated yet!)

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Thanks everyone who came and chatted at Vapnartak! It was nice being able to show off the A3 and A4 sample pages that I have, and I even found an old book on how to make dioramas on Dave Lanchester's stand! Success!

The Kickstarter ENDS today, at 5pm UK time.

It's extra important that people realise there is no pledge manager, for this, ie you cannot add anything to your pledge after 5pm today. This is unlike most other Kickstarters (including Bad Squiddo Games ones) and is to make things as simple as possible for Jon, as he juggles all sorts of other projects.

So please do check your pledge has everything you want in it. If you have any questions, PM Jon direct on Kickstarter (or the comments section) and he'll help you.

I had a nice chat with Jon on Youtube last night, it was fairly last minute and I had to learn how to use the streaming software (go me!). I stream a lot but just myself directly which is easy, using something that can show a guest and images was more complicated than I thought, but I got it, hooray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tIZ3IYb-M

link to the project is here:

thank you everyone who's been involved so far, genuinely looking forward to seeing the photos that result from these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

It's International Women's Day! "But Annie, at Bad Squiddo Games isn't every day IWD?" It sure is, keen reader! Thank you for supporting this woman owned business that centres women and women minis in tabletop gaming! Women! Yay!

It's our tenth year in business and I've written every combination of speech on this day each year so I'll keep it short this time. Thanks for supporting us, it's super cool that so many of you like this zany idea I had one day for it to still be going and growing. It's been DELIGHTFUL seeing the diversity of gamers & painters expand and new generations of hobbyists get their first minis and dice.
Teaching folk about women from history has become my absolute life passion, and being able to do this through the power of tabletop gaming is pretty dang neat.

ANYWAY ONTO THE BIT YOU'VE CLICKED FOR

Free shipping! From now til Sunday night, on all orders over £15 that are all Bad Squiddo Games or Rolltex products. You can, of course, add anything else to the cart, but you'll lose the free shipping. Why? The other products are heavy! and blokes! It's women's day so you have to buy women things, duh. Why Rolltex? Rolltex is a fairly new company owned and ran by fellow lady Becky Gallo and we're working together to make wicked things happen, so I'll let you have free shipping on those during this promo too, as a treat.

It's a great chance to dip your toes in or add to your collection!

Just add IWD24 into the coupon section at cart and you'll see it applied, BEFORE payment.

THANKS ALL!

https://www.badsquiddogames.com