Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
grand jury calvinball is part of why 90% of prosecutions never see trial and defendants just go "gently caress it :shrug:" and plead out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

assange is a poo poo person and has taken wikileaks in an obviously partisan direction...

...but no one knew that in 2010 when WikiLeaks mostly just published stuff that damaged US imperialism and the military-industrial complex

for that matter, and crucially in Manning's case, wikileaks was (as far as outsiders could tell) responsibly curated re: the content of their leaks until

well

their handling of the Manning leaks

and yeah, it wasn't yet clear A) how garbage Assange is and B) that he'd purged / was in the process of purging Wikileaks

i maintain that chelsea should have received a slap on the wrist, and holy poo poo was her time served by the time of sentencing, never mind commutation, more than that slap on the wrist

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Calibanibal posted:

For what its worth I'm glad that julian Assange has been arrested for textbook contempt

not yet he ain't, afaik

sadly

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
yay lets cheer for someone getting tortured in solitary for life without edible food in a private prison at the insistence of NatSec ghouls who are still bitter about being exposed for war crimes

Centrism 2020!

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Slutitution posted:

They are doing this to someone that was pardoned by a goddamn President and they openly don't give a gently caress about it.

She wasn't pardoned lol, Obama loving commuted her sentence. Basically saying "well, she deserved some of it".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i gave up all hope for this country when i realized that the popular reaction to whistleblowers revealing horrific crimes the government committed was to blame the whistleblowers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you'll also be pleased to know that whistleblowing in any given industry gets you blacklisted

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1113887170652192769

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i gave up all hope for this country when i realized that the popular reaction to whistleblowers revealing horrific crimes the government committed was to blame the whistleblowers.

Our dumb authoritarian nation that thinks police, FBI, ICE,CIA and the military are the good guys.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
good news everyone! we put a translady in genpop!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

good news everyone! we put a translady in genpop!

adseg bad tho

hopefully this is a step up

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
She's going to shiv some bitches.

You know why?

Because when you're in general pop you can't take poo poo from nobody.

Chealsea will shiv someone, then everyone will start calling her Crazy Horse 18.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
28 days in solitary for defying a grand jury

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gently caress America tbh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
she's going to be in prison until the grand jury expires

and then if they convene a new one, theyll put her back in prison for that

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

and yeah, it wasn't yet clear A) how garbage Assange is and B) that he'd purged / was in the process of purging Wikileaks

wait what do you mean by purge?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

adseg bad tho

*throws away the key* ain't nothin nobody coulda done.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
literally denied PC because it would defeat the purpose of an indefinite sentence to compel through torture

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

wait what do you mean by purge?

Insane libs think Assange has been a russian asset all along. Idk why doing what you can to avoid ending up in the hands of us natsec masked you bad but Greenwald and Snowden alsogot the raw lib deal.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i wonder what they will do with julian

its great how much hes aged in his state room

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i wonder what they will do with julian

its great how much hes aged in his state room

hasn't he been in that embassy longer by now than he would've been imprisoned in sweden for whatever charge he's avoiding

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hasn't he been in that embassy longer by now than he would've been imprisoned in sweden for whatever charge he's avoiding

the charge was not limited to what was spelled out in the order trying to make him appear for interview, but, yeah, he has probably spent 10x what he would have realistically gotten cooperating

sweden had a pretty reasonably low bar for sexual crimes, but the punishments are also rather too low for the less heavy stuff

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the charge was not limited to what was spelled out in the order trying to make him appear for interview, but, yeah, he has probably spent 10x what he would have realistically gotten cooperating

sweden had a pretty reasonably low bar for sexual crimes, but the punishments are also rather too low for the less heavy stuff

i think the fear has always been that he'd be immediately extradited to the US so he could go to one of the hell jails here

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

i think the fear has always been that he'd be immediately extradited to the US so he could go to one of the hell jails here

that's a pretty realistic concern. sure, assange is a piece of poo poo, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be disappeared into an american hell prison.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Condiv posted:

while sweden has been jackasses on that front before there was *way* less risk of that in sweden than in the uk. modern sweden has a been a good-when-it-"matters"-but-cynical (e.g. heavily bankroll the end of apartheid but extrajudicially send a ton of egyptian rebels to their death because their struggle wasn't working out anyway) minor geopolitical force, where the uk is just in bed with the forces that be. though, granted, trying to have a some consistent philosophy from that basis.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

This very grand jury seems to be trying to get an indictment on him before the statute of limitations expires. Kinda seems like the feds have hope they can get him, in spite of all the reasons he supposedly couldn't be extradited.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's a pretty realistic concern. sure, assange is a piece of poo poo, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be disappeared into an american hell prison.

i thought sweden didn't extradite to freedomland specifically because of our hellprisons

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought sweden didn't extradite to freedomland specifically because of our hellprisons

in principle true, and realistically a lot more true than for the uk, but sweden has a history of expedient shortcuts when it gets to that stuff. same tendency that brought it through ww2 not only unharmed, but rich.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This is one of those wonderful lib lies people propagate to try and blame whistleblowers for running from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
Cool cool. Normal world.