Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Problem description: Installed a new Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD and now the USB ports on my case, connected to the motherboard header, no longer work.

Attempted fixes: Updated BIOS as well as reverted to older versions. Checked the cables, everything is still plugged in properly. Removed the new SSD and the USB ports work again.

Recent changes: None other than adding the new SSD

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Gigabyte Z170-Gaming7 F.22 Bios (I7-6700K, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

So as above, I installed a secondary 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD last week and ran into this issue. My system already had a 1TB 960 M.2 and a 512gb Samsung 950 Pro. As well as 2x 2TB WD Black HDD's in a Raid array for storage and misc items. For whatever reason the 2 USB 3 ports on the front my case just stopped working when I installed the 970 last week. If I remove the 970 they work again. I even put the 960 into the slot and they don't work either, so it's obviously something with that one M.2 slot. Upgraded the BIOS to the newest available, and also reverted to a couple older versions. My power supply is fine 1000 Watt EVGA Supernova (platinum rated) - There are no additional setting changes in the BIOS when I add/remove the 970, it just either shows it in the port or not really. Everything else works completely fine, including the SSD itself. Just those 2 usb ports. I don't really need them, but they were handy for quick connects of thumb drives etc.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Did I just discover some motherboard bug/pcb power routing issue on my motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
Well, I'm not sure of this particular motherboard, but often times at least one M.2 slot will share bandwidth with something else; like a SATA port (or 2) or a PCIE port. When you use that particular M.2 slot, it will disable or reduce the capabilities of whatever port it shares bandwidth with. Maybe check the MoBo manual and see if there's something like that going on.