Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Klyith posted:

They just added that pretty recently, you aren't crazy. When they added ctrl-to-swap for things like walls a while back it didn't work on splitters.

(Also you can use it to change to smart & programmable splitters. Also you can build merger / splitter boxes onto the bottom of another box rather than only the top!)

One set of my assembler blueprints had this for one of the lifts, it was maddening. Of course I only figured it out after I had built dozens of them in 3 different locations.

What happens is just the 1-pixel difference between "aiming at an I/O hole" and "aiming at free space", but when you're going click-click-click it can be easy to miss the little beep sound that tells you it has connected to something.

Thanks for pointing out that little beep, I never consciously noticed it when spinning elevator heads around.

I think it was something about the order of construction? I'm superstitious now and always replace elevators if I had to replace a splitter/merger it was connected to.

I've started making blueprints out of blueprints when I can. A pair of whatever, blueprint, test outside, then assemble the actual blueprint from that. From that I found out blueprint build mode is actually useful. After I started putting the ceiling/next floor into blueprints, they just snap to each other instead of pixel hunting and nudging.

Blueprint deletion mode is a godsend, I don't know how anyone managed before that was added. Kinda getting towards that efficient building I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1771206918121345370
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJ27aFaoJc

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fun little tease at the end of something that IS coming in 1.0: belt input for biomass burners.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh my god thank gently caress they're removing flowers, feels like every time i do a new playthrough i end up with multiple industrial storage containers of just petals

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Yeah I get tired of trashing flowers when I'm trying to chainsaw some poo poo down to clear up space. It's a good change.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is there any word about controller support?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The biomass burner change seems like a step in the right direction. Makes the grindy stage of the game less grindy. Presumably the ones attached to the hub don't have this, so you still get a little taste of manual feeding before the game gives you automation.

boxen posted:

I believe this is the latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRt32esDsG8

Post 1.0 if ever seems most likely.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Give me teleporters or give me death.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dr. Stab posted:

The biomass burner change seems like a step in the right direction. Makes the grindy stage of the game less grindy. Presumably the ones attached to the hub don't have this, so you still get a little taste of manual feeding before the game gives you automation.

Might also be a hint at farming being added to 1.0. People have been asking for it as long as I've been playing but even if you could automate biomass gathering you still would have had to manually feed all the burners. With an input port you could have fully automated energy production before reaching coal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a list of what isn’t making it somewhere

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's this:

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/search?date=All%20Time&status=rejected

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Off the top of my head:

Big Crab enemy from an early trailer
Flowers are getting cut (alongside previously mentioned beacons)
Circle Foundations are not going to be a thing
Official Mod Support (What people manage right now is pretty considerable, so it's not something they feel the need to focus on)
Roads (they concepted a system similar to rails early on but didnt work very well)
Logic Systems

All mentioned with the caveat of "could be added after 1.0" but it pretty much all boils down to "these are things we don't want to prioritize right now"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Giant Enemy Crab is no surprise. In addition to all the stuff Snutt said, there's just no place to put it now that makes sense from a gameplay standpoint. A boss monster like that would need to sit in the one super-awesome zone in the game with all the best end-game resources. The way that world design has evolved, there isn't a place like that and it would just be a big annoyance.

Flowers and color cartridges getting axed is a good change, one less inventory item to worry about.

boxen posted:

Dr. Stab posted:

Post 1.0 if ever seems most likely.

I would bet heavily against it. The amount of UI work needed to do controllers as a supported feature for a game with this much complexity is ... daunting. The only way it happens is if they actually do console ports.

They might slip the unsupported "controllers work with default Unreal bindings" thing back in again.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I've just unlocked the jetpack for the fourth time; the way you get to play after not having it has to be one of my favorite parts of this game. Ever since power towers the jump in mobility isn't quite as severe but it still feels good man.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Switch gameplay video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zp4FebreOs

I've really been itching to get back into Satisfactory but am torn into waiting until release or going in now and building stuff that i'm just going to delete in what is hopefully a few months or less.

e: Hirdy birdy shirdy

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Have they said anything about the story? (lol)

Are the weird artifacts ever going to have a purpose? How would they even slot into the game at this point?

Also give me coal tier trains.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

Have they said anything about the story? (lol)

Are the weird artifacts ever going to have a purpose? How would they even slot into the game at this point?

nope, other than it's all coming in 1.0 which will be out sometime this year

my general assumption has been that the story rewards will be some new buildings that you can make using the artifacts that are convenient but limited. a teleporter for people or items, a no-input power generator, a nuke waste disposer, that sort of thing.

Demiurge4 posted:

Also give me coal tier trains.

what are you doing that needs complex logistics in the coal tier? you are dealing with 3 resources, all of which are abundant. stop building coal poo poo and tech up.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It would be nice to be able to train in far away coal tbh, it's often in a pretty inconvenient spot

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 2, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like coal is slightly inconveniently located, such that scaling up power or steel tends to lead me to just build big long belts, or resort to building all my power plants up on crater lake.

Like the southern grasslands start doesn't have a lot of coal and water near each other for easily scaling up of power. Northern Forest and Western Desert, I both just end up using crater lake for power, then the coal by the sea for steel, and I haven't done a eastern desert start yet so I don't know how that'd go.

That said, I still don't really like the idea of using trains for coal-power. I'm too nervous about something getting out of balance and then losing power and having a huge headache trying to get stuff started again, even though the math should roughly work out the same as by belt.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like coal is slightly inconveniently located, such that scaling up power or steel tends to lead me to just build big long belts, or resort to building all my power plants up on crater lake.

Like the southern grasslands start doesn't have a lot of coal and water near each other for easily scaling up of power. Northern Forest and Western Desert, I both just end up using crater lake for power, then the coal by the sea for steel, and I haven't done a eastern desert start yet so I don't know how that'd go.

That said, I still don't really like the idea of using trains for coal-power. I'm too nervous about something getting out of balance and then losing power and having a huge headache trying to get stuff started again, even though the math should roughly work out the same as by belt.

I think that's intentional to try and get you to expand from your starter base and either set up another outpost or do a bunch of belting and poo poo back to your starter to get it all going. Once you get trains you're at the point where moving that much poo poo around is actually a good idea

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you've been messing around with the building mechanics instead of critical pathing your way up the tech tree you probably have a ton of biomass burners you immediately want to replace with automated coal power, which can take getting coal from several sources to fully replace on top of like, all of the non-power stuff you may want to use coal for. building belts and then upgrading them as you get higher tier miners and more power cores to shove inside the miners is a really long and tedious process if you've stretched those belts long distance because you didn't have trains.

i think the game intends for you to use cars instead at this stage but i can't say i enjoy that solution, would much rather be able to set up a train track i can largely forget about instead of using the much more frustrating car autopilot system to accomplish exactly the same thing

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Klyith posted:

what are you doing that needs complex logistics in the coal tier? you are dealing with 3 resources, all of which are abundant. stop building coal poo poo and tech up.

Counterpoint: chugga chugga chugga

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I absolutely refuse to use trucks for ferrying anything grid-critical. But in general I just find trucks too much of a hassle because the fuel requirement introduces a secondary headache of "what i need is not where I need it" and plopping down big long belt highways is easier and more reliable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also, bring your power plants to the coal, not coal to your power plants. It's dead easy to build long power lines, much easier than long belt or truck or train lines.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TK-42-1 posted:

I think that's intentional to try and get you to expand from your starter base and either set up another outpost or do a bunch of belting and poo poo back to your starter to get it all going. Once you get trains you're at the point where moving that much poo poo around is actually a good idea

So the intention of the grasslands being the easy start dates back to a time when fluids didn't exist and coal power didn't need water. If you didn't need to worry about water, grasslands would absolutely be the "easy" start in that you'd have everything you need for tier 0-4, none of the advanced resources like quartz or caterium to add extra complication, and a fairly relaxed time learning the game.

You really have to understand that the starts are defining "easy" and "advanced" in terms of cognitive load, not how easy it is to get resources or blitz higher tech levels.

As it is now you get to coal and then get kinda choked because you have about 1GW power max without expanding. If I were on the game's dev team I absolutely would have re-modeled that south tip of land to have a bit more extractable water.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I absolutely refuse to use trucks for ferrying anything grid-critical. But in general I just find trucks too much of a hassle because the fuel requirement introduces a secondary headache of "what i need is not where I need it" and plopping down big long belt highways is easier and more reliable.

Pretty much every place you get coal in the game also has water available, so yes using trucks to transport coal for power is silly when you could just build power lines. The only exceptions are the grasslands (see above), the dune desert (intentional), and the red forest (not a place anyone will build coal power).

Moving coal by tractor is very easy, the fuel is also the cargo. And like, if you're building a foundation skyway to bring belts back to your base, then just build the skyway and drive the tractor on that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

I want to build and plan around trains from much earlier instead of relying on long belts across the map and THEN getting to do trains when I'm more than halfway through the tech tree. I'd also like train stations to be much smaller.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Oxyclean posted:

This is an argument in favor of using trucks specifically to transport fuel items such as coal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

I want to build and plan around trains from much earlier instead of relying on long belts across the map and THEN getting to do trains when I'm more than halfway through the tech tree.

Well, number one, halfway through the tech tree in number of unlocks is not halfway through the game. Things are... strongly non-linear at the later stages of the game. Believe me, you will have plenty of time to play with trains even if you don't plan on doing the final elevator challenge.

Number two, don't build long belts halfway across the map before you have trains! You don't need stuff from halfway across the map until you are in phase 3, which is where you get trains!

The only complication is that you need computers to unlock trains, and computers are a logistics heavy item. But there is a smarter way to handle this. To build trains, you need to unlock Oil Processing, Industrial Manufacturing, and Monorail Train Technology. That's it. Those 3 techs are easily blitzable as soon as you're in phase 3.

Minimum oil-tier stuff needed for trains:
1.5 stacks computers: one for unlocks, the rest to build some stations & a train
2 stacks plastic: one for tech unlocks, one to build a few HMF manufacturers
1 stack rubber: for unlocks
the rest is coal-tier items (including the HMFs, which you can now automate with the manufacturers)

There are two easy ways to assemble that list:

1. build a crappy plastic refinery on the nearest oil. fill a tractor with 23 stacks of plastic and 1 of rubber. drive back home, put together your initial electronics assembly line, feed it from a crate. unlock trains, build your first rails back to the oil, now you have a self-sustaining system.

2. spend 15 tickets for that minimum list above. now you can make trains without extracting a single drop of oil.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd also like train stations to be much smaller.

Once upon a time I agreed with this. Then I realized I was wrong, and the rest of what I was building needed to be much bigger.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Oxyclean posted:

The answer to this issue is Factory Carts. Lots and lots of Factory Carts.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Belts. Belts for miles and miles.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would just like to be able to use stackable supports as the default on-ground support when building new belts, ffs. :negative:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I would just like to be able to use stackable supports as the default on-ground support when building new belts, ffs. :negative:

Or at least have them snap to the small support regular belts have.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

Or at least have them snap to the small support regular belts have.

This would be extremely welcome.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Dune Desert is the best starting location. The only issue is do I pave it over at the same height or make it follow some natrual undulations of the dunes ?

There is plenty of biomass to get you power. Moreso when you go exploring for stuff.
VERY abundant iron
Craterium close (Its BS its so far up a tier)
Quartz is 1km away
Very good option for a massive (8/12 coal power plant before you level up miners)
Further away but still near-ish coal next to iron for steel
Near-ish Sulphur next to coal for big bada boom
At least 2 HDDs that have 0 requirements to open.

And in my dedicated server game with kids we are about to make some oil products 'around the corner'. Seriously we dont need to leave the desert proper for anything. Nearest quartz is debatable but its literally on the bordeline of woods and desert. 4 automated miners let me take back enough for a lot of unlocks

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1778042430392082502

Didn't get in. Unsurprising, they said on a dev stream about a month ago that chances of being approved were roughly 0.05% going by the number of applications they had at the time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Didn't get in. Unsurprising, they said on a dev stream about a month ago that chances of being approved were roughly 0.05% going by the number of applications they had at the time.

they saw your logistics via flying cybertruck save and were like "gently caress no, if this guy is a beta tester we'll be here for another two years"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

either they do two years now or Josh makes them do two years after launch :v: