Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
The birds, the trees, the rolling hills
Have given way to paper mills
It's sad to see such awful waste
That appears to happen with hurried haste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I think you can find a more effective way to convey the emotion of sadness at the sense of waste than just "It's sad to see such awful waste." Maybe you could use that line to give a vivid description of what the waste is, to perhaps indirectly impart in the reader a sense of sadness, such that they arrive at the conclusion of sadness on their own? Also, I'm not sure that you need to tell us that it "appears" to happen with hurried haste. It might be stronger, punchier to trim that and just say something like "That happens with such hurried haste".

Forgive me if you weren't seeking advice our constructive criticism. The poetry thread is locked, so I suspected that that might be what you were looking for?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I like it. :)

But the last line should probably lose two syllables so every line has eight of them (as in, maybe, "that spread and splayed with hurried haste"). Just a thought.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I have been writing and reading poetry for 73 days, and I can tell you, this poem needs a lot of work. First off, it's too short. Some of the best poems are really long, they even can be the length of a whole book. Also it might surprise you, but a little known secret of poetry is that the words don't have to rhyme. This can sometimes allow you to use better words when you can't find a rhyming one. As an example of what sort of things you could do to expand this, I've rewritten your poem as a longer, more involved experience:

I met a bird one summer's eve
he tweeted down so solemnly
his sorrow fell upon my ears
and stopped me there amidst my steps

I looked upon his feathered face
and asked 'dear bird, what doest thou say?'
he tweet'd again and then I heard
the message couched within his chirps

"oh man, you walk this earth so hard
your steps tramp down on nature’s green
and mash it into muddied brown that
never 'gain regrows or seeds

heed my warning mark my words
the end comes nigh, for all your works
you won’t escape the waves and winds
for climate change doeth now begin."

From that point on I saw the world
in different light and other shades
the paper mills that once brought pride
now dragged my heart toward the grave

Oh man, oh man, don't waste your time!
upon this glowing earth of mine
Oh man, please think before you act
And bring our species back on track!

Mornings passed, and seasons too
and years turned by for me and you
With wrinkled face and wretched knees
with bent back I pass again the tree.

A bird sang down like summer past
A grandchild of the one before?
I looked up there with rheumy eyes
As tweet’d he a song of lore

“Oh man who walks b’neath my tree!
Stop and listen, take my heed!
Though you may have changed your ways
Man as a whole remains the same!

Paper mills abound, and more!
They crush the earth and kill the soil!
The skies are brown with putrid air
My wings are greasy, my mother: killed!

You’ve changed yourself and nothing else
All through your wasted life
What good has all your learning been
If only in one mind?”

I leaned against that gnarled trunk
And there pondered on his words
I knew that what he said was true
And my heart swole with regret

And there until my dying breath
I wrote these bloody lines
To send my message out to you:
To warn ‘gainst wasted time!

© Original idea, do not steal

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
To keep the meter, you must remove that lovely apostrophe from "b'neath", but worry not, for simultaneously is needed a grave accent in "ponderèd".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wizard Master posted:

The title is very close to a line from "The Davinci Code" is that on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Wizard Master posted:

Just a heads up, but this poem comes off as very similar in imagery and meter to William Blake's "And did those feet in ancient time". Compare what you wrote with the following:

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

A few other comments:

1. Reading this on a computer in the 21st century kind of emphasizes the anachronistic nature of the imagery you invoke. In addition to writing something very reminiscent of Blake you also invoke paper mills - something I tend to associate with a slow moving pre-digital past of the old industrial economy of yesteryear, and not something that makes me think of haste. Perhaps that was an intentional juxtaposition, but for me it just fell flat. The old fashioned (and cheesy) title and outdated use of the term "Man" doesn't help either.

2. The second two lines scan awkwardly. The use of "seems" interrupts the flow of the words and feels like an unnecessary qualifier. It's jarring because the sentence is alluding to speed and dynamism and yet your phrasing is awkward and stilted. Consider the alternative: "It's sad to see such awful waste / that happens with such hurried haste". Or if you really want the sentence to flow quickly (to match the subject of the sentence), maybe: "sad to see such awful waste / happening with hurried haste".