Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
There have been several air fare sales lately so my wife booked a trip for us over Easter weekend to Orlando, with the intent to drive to one of the beaches. The more I look the more I’m thinking we ought to go another way, honestly just looking to chill at a hotel on the beach (figuring Atlantic side?)

What’s a good bet for a long weekend (hoping Easter won’t be a disaster)?

Much obliged for any thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks to too many work trips from Orlando, I've been to most of the beaches in Central Florida.

Cocoa Beach is a fairly low-key beach town. It's easy to reach from Orlando and it seems quieter than the towns to the north or south. The larger hotels are more toward Cape Canaveral. Via the Bee Line, it is an hour from the airport to the ocean. The towns south of Patrick AFB are busier but probably not terribly so.

Canaveral National Seashore is the closest thing to wilderness you'll find on the coast (which does mean you can't walk there from your hotel room). The last beach on each end of the access roads is a nude beach and those are probably the only places you will see very many people.

New Smyrna Beach is a nice beach town but they let cars on the beach so gently caress that. Daytona Beach is the same but with a lot more condos. St. Augustine is pretty neat. You can stay in a fancy old hotel (not by the beach) and see actual old buildings. If you just want to sit on the beach and do nothing all day, it's probably overkill to go up there unless your "Orlando" flight is actually to Sanford.

I actually prefer the white sand beaches on the Gulf side but they are twice as far from Orlando. Honeymoon Island, Caladesi Island and Fort De Soto are parks that are great for long beach walks. The towns in the middle are where Spring Breakers was filmed. The coast north of Clearwater is all mangrove swamp. South of Tampa Bay is where the really rich people go when they want to spend time at the beach.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I live in St. Augustine, and if you are looking for a beach I'd go there over Cocoa/NSB/Daytona. St. Augustine also has a downtown district with great restaurants and shops.

Some beaches to look into are Vilano and Fernandina.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm taking a trip to Miami Beach, and we'd like to go down to Key West for a day. Don't plan on renting a car for the overall trip, and the offices don't open early enough or stay open late enough to rent a car for the day. I'm looking at tour buses, but they all seem a bit like a tourist trap.

I guess that comes with the territory, but is there maybe one that's better? Also, all of them head back by 6pm, is there one that maybe stays out later so I don't have to get the early bird special for dinner?