Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Problem description: My work desktop was recently upgraded to Windows 10, and whenever I open up a video file while having something playing in the background in a web browser (tested with both IE and Chrome), the web browser boosts its volume. This happens with WMP, VLC, Quiktime, etc.

Attempted fixes: Windows support forums don't seem to cover this problem. The closest thing I found was here, specifically the JonDisqus post from August 8th 2015, and it didn't work.

Recent changes: My station was upgraded about 2 months ago from Windows 7 and it's been like this ever since. On Windows 7, playing a video in WMP or VLC or whatever had no effect on the volume level of a web browser. For some reason it happens every time with every application combo on Windows 10.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro. 64-bit

System specs: HP Prodesk 400 G3 mini

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Some on-keyboard volume controls respect per application volume levels; some do not. Do you have on-keyboard volume control? When you open up the whole mixer, is it respecting per application settings?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Some on-keyboard volume controls respect per application volume levels; some do not. Do you have on-keyboard volume control? When you open up the whole mixer, is it respecting per application settings?

I don't think it's the keyboard since that hardware along with the mouse and speakers carried over from my last station.

I opened up the mixer and see Speaker, System Sounds, and Chrome sections. When I open up a video in WMP/VLC/QT/Whatever, the Speaker section boosts itself, but only Google Chrome (playing Soundcloud) gets louder, even though its levels stay the same as before in the mixer view weirdly enough. A separate section does not appear for whatever playback application I just opened, and its own volume seems to be at the desired level that Chrome had been playing Soundcloud at up to that point. The blue level indicator does not move on the speaker section after opening the playback application; it's just the green/gray bar behind it that starts boosting itself and playing louder.

I unplugged the speakers and plugged my headphones directly into the new computer, and the same thing happened. So it's gotta be the Windows 10 OS or some other new software (probably not Chrome or any other web browser; same thing happens when playing sound from IE and opening a video)

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It sounds like some kind of Normalization is turned on, almost? Does the sound chip have its own companion app, if that setting isn't in the Sound control panel? Some do. Some are even Windows Store based, now.

More than likely, reading your post again, the SCCM tool they used to upgrade your desktop to Windows 10 used a more basic version of the sound driver than it should have, despite being functional elsewhere. Take a look to see what's on offer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/desktops

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the scanning tool and selected the PC, which had an update for the sound driver ("Conexant High Definition Audio Driver for DT (Sustaining)"). However after installing and restarting, no change.

How might I find out if my sound chip has a companion app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

That Conexant driver should have put a folder in your start menu, or a new icon in your system tray, I'd imagine.

Instead of the automatic scan tool, see if you get different software if you search by serial number; which should be on a sticker on the top of the HP.