Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Martman posted:

I could have screenshotted this clearer, but I'm a little confused by the way the rules play out here:

Specifically, I placed the 5 (baba) + 4 (jiji) stack as one unit simultaneously on the bottom 2nd pile. I understand the previous placements that worked because of the Fofo Is On Any + Jiji Is Any Suit rules, but why does that allow me to place a Baba suit card on a Fofo card? I guess everything starting with the 10 (jiji) is considered "any suit," so I can stack any suit on any part of it?

Can you actually move the stack? Because you can place cards in descending order regardless of suit as a base rule, you just can't move those stacks together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oops yeah, I definitely was getting confused by that at first. My bad. Honestly this game is hurting my brain.

Next question: should I be able to combine the +5 and Opposite rules?

I'm guessing not, so it looks like this is just a near loss. I'd need to turn a 7 fofo into a 7 keke, then opposite it (as it already is in the picture) and also +5 it at the same time, but I guess I can't do both those qualities at once (can't add an "is" to the end of that rule, and stacking the +5 where I'm hovering it places it but doesn't actually do anything). Very fun to figure out what the hell was actually going on, but I think that'll be enough for me for now lol

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 22, 2022

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What happens if you remove all the rules?

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 22, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Martman posted:

Oops yeah, I definitely was getting confused by that at first. My bad. Honestly this game is hurting my brain.

Next question: should I be able to combine the +5 and Opposite rules?

I'm guessing not, so it looks like this is just a near loss. I'd need to turn a 7 fofo into a 7 keke, then opposite it (as it already is in the picture) and also +5 it at the same time, but I guess I can't do both those qualities at once (can't add an "is" to the end of that rule, and stacking the +5 where I'm hovering it places it but doesn't actually do anything). Very fun to figure out what the hell was actually going on, but I think that'll be enough for me for now lol

You can place the rule cards of same type on top of each other, but only rules in the form of "X Is Y" are active, so "X Is +5 Opposite" is a valid config but only the +5 takes effect. If you do a transformation rule (e.g. Baba Is Keke), you can continue another rule from it (e.g. Baba Is Keke Is +5), and there the +5 rule would apply to both Baba and Keke, because the former was transformed into the Keke suit. As far as solitaires go, it's a pretty outlandish one thanks to the rules nonsense but I'm pretty happy with the result, haha.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Once you get On Any, its pretty much still game over. Since you start with all four names its really easy to manipulate any suit. You can even stack numbers on top of rules. I don't mess with Opposite or +5

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

Once you get On Any, its pretty much still game over. Since you start with all four names its really easy to manipulate any suit. You can even stack numbers on top of rules. I don't mess with Opposite or +5

Yeah, fair point. I think I'm pretty much done with the solitaire at this point because I don't want to get too deep with trying to finetune it, but the rules are pretty lopsided still.

EDIT: Immediately after writing this I saw a message on Itch saying that On All being so powerful makes the solitaire less fun, and now I've changed my mind, hahah

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2022

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Have you tried your rule shifting concept in a non-turn based format?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

parthenocarpy posted:

it's called baba is you xtreme and it rules

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
imagining Baba is You but it's FPS, I call it Bullet is Shoot

that's a free one for you Hempuli

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

grate deceiver posted:

imagining Baba is You but it's FPS, I call it Bullet is Shoot

that's a free one for you Hempuli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMRfY23od8

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
well, poo poo

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

I've had some ideas related to that but as jsoh said, the only thing actually released is Baba Is You XTREME (It's freeware: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-xtreme)
Also re: the solitaire, I just updated it to version 1.0.3, in which I tried to make the card formerly known as "Any #" even less enormously powerful.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Made another Baba-themed freeware game, although this one isn't really a puzzle game.
Check it out if you're interested: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-files-taxes

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Can't play this on my phone but i just saw Everything Everywhere All At Once so my imagination is going places

Now that i think about it Baba Is You and ETEWAAO share a certain logic

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My 7 year old saw the Baba Files Taxes icon on my desktop and begged me to play it, even though I told him he wouldn't like it.

He is now on his fourth play through excitedly working his way through the document excitedly chanting "taxes taxes taxes taxes what are clouds made of? Taxes taxes taxes" under his breath.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

My highest signature score was 58, which is surprisingly high!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
THREAD is NOT LOCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQgKTKAAxE

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh and also Hempuli made Baba + Into The Breach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaCjtWsaQI

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hempuli posted:

Made another Baba-themed freeware game, although this one isn't really a puzzle game.
Check it out if you're interested: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-files-taxes

As a US expat, I already experience Baba-level conceptual chaos doing taxes irl :smith:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hahah, amazing, thanks for posting that.

But yeah, Mobile Suit Baba was released in December:

https://hempuli.itch.io/mobile-suit-baba

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is that... Baba and INTO THE BREACH style?

Wow.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Bought it day 1 and it's real good (although i'm not used to the characters having this much dialog). Got a whole bunch of patches too already!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
BABA is REAL

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1757450876237885696

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Been grinding through this game finally over the last few days, avoiding hints, but I've finally hit a level with a solution where the implementation is so finicky I want to know if I'm solving it 'as intended' or if there's a way to simplify it that I missed.
Level is ???-Extra 7 "Getting Together".

My solution is

1. shift flag and 1 rock up against the wall on the same space, 3 pips below the top right corner
2. use "WALL on ROCK is BABA" and "WALL is PUSH" to manufacture BABAs. create 2 stacks of 2, a 3rd stack of 2 is probably a good idea, but you can either make it a stack of 1 and be careful, or maybe create it later.
3. Shift the walls to make a vertical wall somewhere out of the way with spacing such that if you push down you'll be able ot get around it.
3. Use "ROCK on BABA is WALL" and "BABA is SHIFT" to, thanks to your stacked BABAs, be able to make your BABAs move 2x speed. Beyond here it gets super finicky.
4. Use your 2X speed and 2 baba stacks to push the remaining spare text piece "PUSH" onto your other BABA stack, so that the text ends up on the BABA/ROCK square at the same time as the ROCK gets turned into a WALL. (eg BTBRW -> -B(TWB)W )
5. push "WALL IS" above the "PUSH + WALL" block. push it down past your makeshift wall until you can move it right.
6. shuffle the whole thing over to the right, nestled between a baba on the left and baba on the right until you hit the FLAG+ROCK you made in phase 1, using your right baba to push the wall onto the left baba.

It seems to work but the need to manage 2/3 stacks of baba at 2x speed, while shuffling text around, and very specific wall shuffling seems painful enough I thought it's worth a check, since I haven't really seen any puzzles so far where the actual implementation is this finicky once you have a solution.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

A Banana posted:

Been grinding through this game finally over the last few days, avoiding hints, but I've finally hit a level with a solution where the implementation is so finicky I want to know if I'm solving it 'as intended' or if there's a way to simplify it that I missed.
Level is ???-Extra 7 "Getting Together".

My solution is

1. shift flag and 1 rock up against the wall on the same space, 3 pips below the top right corner
2. use "WALL on ROCK is BABA" and "WALL is PUSH" to manufacture BABAs. create 2 stacks of 2, a 3rd stack of 2 is probably a good idea, but you can either make it a stack of 1 and be careful, or maybe create it later.
3. Shift the walls to make a vertical wall somewhere out of the way with spacing such that if you push down you'll be able ot get around it.
3. Use "ROCK on BABA is WALL" and "BABA is SHIFT" to, thanks to your stacked BABAs, be able to make your BABAs move 2x speed. Beyond here it gets super finicky.
4. Use your 2X speed and 2 baba stacks to push the remaining spare text piece "PUSH" onto your other BABA stack, so that the text ends up on the BABA/ROCK square at the same time as the ROCK gets turned into a WALL. (eg BTBRW -> -B(TWB)W )
5. push "WALL IS" above the "PUSH + WALL" block. push it down past your makeshift wall until you can move it right.
6. shuffle the whole thing over to the right, nestled between a baba on the left and baba on the right until you hit the FLAG+ROCK you made in phase 1, using your right baba to push the wall onto the left baba.

It seems to work but the need to manage 2/3 stacks of baba at 2x speed, while shuffling text around, and very specific wall shuffling seems painful enough I thought it's worth a check, since I haven't really seen any puzzles so far where the actual implementation is this finicky once you have a solution.

That is not the intended solution.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Your solution being finicky and annoying to implement is usually a good indication you are on the wrong track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks, came back to it after a break, with a much simpler solution. Now just need to work out
How to bridge the last square between that level and the ?mark level, what unlocking that extra cursor line from the water level to nowhere did, and whether destroying the cursor with "sink" on exiting the level as incomplete is just a cool interaction or the path to unlocking something further

Cool game.
Edit: nm worked the first one out like a minute after my post

A Banana fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 11, 2024