Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

KittyEmpress posted:

It's amazing how Five is both the only competent character, and also somehow the best actor of the bunch.

Klaus is at least funny though, yeah. The whole main band is just.. bad otherwise though.

I actually really liked Diego and Lila's subplot this season--I think the actors have genuine chemistry and a lot of the moments were very fun and sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Agreed they were much better than season 2. But it really is something to watch how much better Five is than everyone else on screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Alison does bring up an interesting point, when the old guy apologises for erasing her daughter and killing their mothers - apologies are a linguistic trap. You can't win. If you apologise, the only word in our language is "sorry" and in some cases it's just not strong enough. However, if you neglect to use it, despite knowing that using it will only piss off the other party, the other party STILL gets pissed off even if you are working to resolve whatever you have caused (provided it has a resolution that you can achieve) because "how can I believe you care if you haven't even apologised?" It's a bullshit social trap that there is no way out of. Either way, apology or no, there is nothing you can do or say, especially if there isn't a way to fix the problem. Especially since in this case it was an accident. If the offense is intentional, then fair enough, but when it's unintentional and just a thing that happened that was out of your control, then it's just an impossible situation to navigate.

Alison is right that "Sorry isn't what you say when you obliterate someone's daughter", but what is? If he didn't apologise she'd get pissed for a whole other reason.

It's the aggrieved party's right to decide whether an apology is accepted. A person shouldn't apologise with the expectation that they get to decide whether they're forgiven or not.

I'm fine with people apologising and then getting told to gently caress off. It's not up to them.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe cause he was in the alien control whatsits.

Yeah this was my guess, gotta figure being in the cockpit of a machine that gives you Q-like ability to rewrite all of space and time to your will gives you some pretty good stat boosts

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I enjoyed this season because I enjoy hanging out with the characters but by the end I realised that the writing process was just "add more weird complications" until they suddenly realised that there was no way for everything to wrap up so they just threw in a reset button and called it a day.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Allison is also the one who have never had to learn to understand or care about other people's viewpoints or social skills. With her power she can just overwrite her demands on other people's minds or make the person feel like she wants them to. She knew perfectly well that Harlan had nothing to do with her losing her family, it was their original series of gently caress ups which sent them to the past, and their second series of gently caress ups which caused Viktor's powers to leak and corrupted the timeline...Which also then caused Harlan to accidentally cause the grandfather paradox that ultimately broke the existence. She blames and kills a completely innocent person because he makes her feel bad, and she knows it.

I mean, being timelined out of existence is the first time something happens to her private social circle that she cannot fix, because that girl isn't her biological daughter. Had she done adoption originally, she would have just overwritten everyone's minds and been happy on the Sparrow timeline, because she is an awful person who doesn't have any moral problem on using her powers to manipulate everyone around her for her selfish benefits. She was an implied millionaire pop star and general celebrity in the original timeline in S1, after all.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 14, 2022

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I liked this season, but I still don't get the finale. Reginald is killing the Umbrellas and Sparrows with the machine, and just as he is about to press the red button, he gets killed by Allison. Who then presses the red button anyway. Why didn't that kill the others? Also, Allison tells Viktor to trust her. Why would she know what the red button does?

Finally, Reginald made a pact with Allison, and from the half of conversation we got, he said "I can't do this without you". What was the pact? She did nothing except vote yes, her apology to Viktor didn't change his mind, and the only reason the Team went in the pocket dimenion was Luther getting killed. What did Allison do as part of the "pact" ?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Done with this show. Everyone is mean and unlikeable now and just snarls at each other and does dumb poo poo on impulse or over some grudge they just now decied to start caring about. None of them even manage to be menacing, they just come across as a bunch of try hard kids trying to be edgy. Ben and Allison in particular were just so lame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think it’s about intimidating characters, it’s about showing the various ways that people love and revictimize each other by holding onto a family.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Was there anything behind the room numbers being all the same depending on which group was walking around the hotel in the last episode? Couldn't tell if they matched their codename numbers.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Was there anything behind the room numbers being all the same depending on which group was walking around the hotel in the last episode? Couldn't tell if they matched their codename numbers.

They didn't, and went higher than 7. I think the point of them appearing repeatedly was to show that the characters were being shifted to different floors by the shimmering barriers.

canepazzo posted:

I liked this season, but I still don't get the finale. Reginald is killing the Umbrellas and Sparrows with the machine, and just as he is about to press the red button, he gets killed by Allison. Who then presses the red button anyway. Why didn't that kill the others? Also, Allison tells Viktor to trust her. Why would she know what the red button does?

Finally, Reginald made a pact with Allison, and from the half of conversation we got, he said "I can't do this without you". What was the pact? She did nothing except vote yes, her apology to Viktor didn't change his mind, and the only reason the Team went in the pocket dimenion was Luther getting killed. What did Allison do as part of the "pact" ?

This was some of the many things in the finale and season in general that just didn't make sense to me.

I'll add:

why did all of the characters, including Five, Viktor, and Klaus, assemble on the stars at Reginald's command after a whole episode of them resolving not to trust him or go along with his plan?

He sells it with "it's the only way to stop the guardian!" but most of the people in the room have just killed the other two guardians conventionally.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Did I miss something, or was Harlan really killed off-screen? I thought Allison was lying about it, for, I don't know, leverage? Treachery? Her character had all but disintegrated by the midway point, but last time I saw Harlan, he was alive and well in the trunk of a car.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

He looked dead eyed in the trunk, but I wasn't sure till Allison mentioned it.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I figured Allison "rumored" him to kill himself and if they filmed or even wrote the suicide it got nixed for mood, tone, theme and general content reasons the writers decided didn't belong in the show, hoping the audience would fill in the blank.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Did I miss something, or was Harlan really killed off-screen? I thought Allison was lying about it, for, I don't know, leverage? Treachery? Her character had all but disintegrated by the midway point, but last time I saw Harlan, he was alive and well in the trunk of a car.

I got thrown by the same thing.

The whole subplot of Allison making a deal with Reginald didn't make sense. He tells her he can't do it without her and spares her from the machine, but she didn't do anything substantive to help him.

She also seems genuinely surprised that the machine is eating her siblings, so what was she even hiding from them?

I wonder if the original plot was for the machine to eat Harlan, and Reginald needed her to keep him confined and rumor him into it. Reginald says the machine is powered by the particles in the family, and maybe Harlan has those in abundance.

She seems to walk off with Reginald right after bringing Harlan to the Sparrows, and it would make sense that she'd want to hide this arrangement from the others.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One more season

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1562794570039296000

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Cool, always good to know it's the final season going into it so it can be wrapped up satisfyingly.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Avasculous posted:

why did all of the characters, including Five, Viktor, and Klaus, assemble on the stars at Reginald's command after a whole episode of them resolving not to trust him or go along with his plan?

He sells it with "it's the only way to stop the guardian!" but most of the people in the room have just killed the other two guardians conventionally.

I took it that Five realized in the instance he hesitated that his 100+ years old self had thought he was saving the world from whatever Reginald Hargreeves had planned, because the event had to happen between the instant he got his arm sliced off and the end of the universe, if it was still preventable and not a loop, and there wasn't much time for that to happen, so that instant had to be the only chance. Viktor's character arc this season involved a lot of people mad at him for going it alone even though all his ideas seemed like good ideas this season, so I can see him going along with the others. The battle with the third guardian would have had to have more screen time for them to realize it was much stronger than the others for it to make sense for any of the others, though.

canepazzo posted:

I'd been expecting that she'd rumor them into going along with the Hargreeves plan, but that never happened

I only felt like posting pile-ons for the nitpicks for the last episode, but I really enjoyed watching this show

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 25, 2022

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
S3 was a lot of nonsense but hopefully S4 wraps everything up in a way that sort of makes sense.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

pik_d posted:

That doesn't make sense but then it was a paradox proof room.

This part killed me. But what is it made of?!
Anti-paradox material of course :science:. Should be a universe destruction proof room too if they can manage that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I get everyone wanting to skidaddle after all that, but before going their separate ways at the end of S3, they could have waited long enough to exchange contact information, or if they didn't pop out of the reset with any contact info, someone could've suggested a meetup.

Character rankings:
1. Five
2. Klaus
3. Allison (S1, >Klaus for S2. Klaus' plot drags on as Allison's plot gets more intense)
4. Luther (S1, S2) - it's funny how he's so naive and sheltered, having less traditional life experience than everyone else, but so big but then they didn't know what to do with him besides the romance plot in S3. They could have reduced his screen time, like how The Swedes had screen-time compared to Hazel and Cha-Cha proportional to how much less compelling as characters they were, which evened it out.
5. Viktor
6. Diego - switches with Luther for S2, the "I need to be a hero" thing with Kennedy was interesting. I liked the callback to Five being afraid his dad would tell him "I told you so" at the end of S2
7. Lila
8. Harlan (S3)
9. Hazel and Cha-Cha
10. The Handler
11. Reginald Hargreeves
12. Robo-Grace from S1
13. Pogo - the ones near the bottom are still awesome in the screentime they have

edit (didn't want to necro): also, there were a few things that felt too coincidental in S3, like Harlan's mom dying from cancer on the exact day that the Umbrellas were due to be born, which might have been added to make Harlan more sympathetic. Lila accidentally removing Supercentenarian Five from the iron lung and killing him also felt too convenient a way of tying up that loose end. little things, but the broad idea of everything they did with the Kugelblitz and the universe reset was cool

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Worst dad ever being a squid person feels so superflous. Going to take one hell of a needle drop to redeem that plot point

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
needle drop + dance number, of course

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

latinotwink1997 posted:

This part killed me. But what is it made of?!
Anti-paradox material of course :science:. Should be a universe destruction proof room too if they can manage that.

Why don’t they make the whole universe out of that???

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Trying posted:

Worst dad ever being a squid person feels so superflous. Going to take one hell of a needle drop to redeem that plot point

This was hinted all the way in S1 with the flashbacks and stuff that wasn't addressed on screen. Well, not the squid-part per say, but that Hargreeves is a skinsuit for something very different.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Der Kyhe posted:

This was hinted all the way in S1 with the flashbacks and stuff that wasn't addressed on screen. Well, not the squid-part per say, but that Hargreeves is a skinsuit for something very different.

Don't think the main cast would notice but I noticed he didn't age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Der Kyhe posted:

The comic tells you right away. At the beginning of the first issue in a very matter of fact manner. As far as I can remember, it's totally unimportant and never comes up again.