Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Best episode of the season.

The dance sequence should've been the season opener. Would've been the best cold open since Game of Thrones S1.

*head thrust*

*head thrust*

HAPPY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Selachian posted:

"Orifice, god of assholes."

Honestly, new thread title right here.

"I know you! Orifice, god of assholes!"

(or whatever the correct quote is) Had me laughing my balls off.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite bit was when Amanda demanded to know why Sax didn't already "have [Smoothie's] balls in a vice" to get him to tell where Hailey was... and Sax and Smoothie just kind of looked at each other and shrugged.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Smoothie's reaction to Amanda's beating was great overall. Like he doesn't care about getting beat as such but it's so basic it's a waste of his time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have so many questions now

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Wasn't expecting Jeff Godblum.

I wonder what the chances are we'll get more of the show. Considering how much of the finale was spent setting things up for a new season, they were clearly expecting to get at least one more while making it. Gonna be serious blue balls if we don't get season 3.

Overall I think I liked season 1 more. Not to say I didn't enjoy 2, but it felt like a collection of set pieces while 1 had a more coherent story. It's like the difference between the Crank movies except such a spectacle focused style works better in a 90min movie than a 10-episode season of a tv show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bloom posted:

Overall I think I liked season 1 more.

Season 1 was way better. This one had good bits but never really came together into a satisfying whole. It felt directionless, like they were just giving us more of the stuff that people responded well to in season one without having a good reason for any of it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I liked season 1 live, but loved it when binging it in anticipation of season 2.

Season 2 could get a similar boost with a Halloween-centric season 3.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rappaport posted:

I have so many questions now

That about sums it up.

Season 1 was really tight but this one did some major swerving. Looking at the ratings on Wikipedia compared to the first season I have a feeling we won't be getting another unless Netflix or Amazon decides to pick it up. With the hard lean into the super natural this season did a Halloween themed follow up would be fun. Nick Sax as the drunken undead purveyor of vengence in the servitude of Orifice the God of Assholes is a pretty compelling super hero.

I wonder if they let Patrick keep the head?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I liked Nick's Halloween scarf.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Season 1 was way better. This one had good bits but never really came together into a satisfying whole. It felt directionless, like they were just giving us more of the stuff that people responded well to in season one without having a good reason for any of it.

I partially disagree. Blue, Sonny, Smoothie, and Hailey's storylines felt very cohesive and came together really well.

Sax and McCarthy on the other hand... well, it's an unfortunate complaint because I still think this show is spectacular overall. But most of our protagonists' stories felt sort of inconsequential until the end game had been set up and they could finally act, with Happy being almost completely sidelined until the finale.

e: Props to Medina Senghore though, she really sold the addicted-to-slash-pregnant-with-Wishies Amanda

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 30, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Slamhound posted:

I liked Nick's Halloween scarf.

It boggles the mind that SyFy isn't offering the scarves as merchandise.

I found a pattern for the Christmas one: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/happys-feliz-navidad-scarf

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Nick's version of heaven is just beautiful in its perfect mix of debauchery and aesthetic holiness.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Other than needing a Season 3, I have zero complaints about this series. It was amazing. I love you Grant Morrison and also every human being involved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know they like to be extreme on this show but jfc at the scene of the twig imaginary friend having a horizontal stick with a bit of sap on the end after he pulled out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This season was pretty fun. I'd be sad to see this show go, but at least it ended on a cathartic note.

Also, I am amazed at how I was able to identify the 12" for Blue Monday despite only seeing the back of it, which I've never seen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Judging the ratings, one of the streaming services will probably have to take it over.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I don't think it's the ratings that are going to get it dropped (necessarily, or as the only factor) as other shows with similar or slightly lower ratings have been renewed more than once or allowed a final season.

I think it's the viewership that will lead to it being dropped. Not enough viewers, and between season 1 and 2 it dropped by -56.19%.

Anything dropping below -50% between seasons seem to get dropped. I mean ratings play a role (for Happy the first season averaged 0.21 but only 0.09 for season 2), but it seems that holding viewership is more important to SyFy.

(Looking at you Killjoys: Killjoys (renewed) - s4 : 0.08 : -50.59%).

Of course that's not to say some shows weren't cancelled after only one season for bad ratings, but even if the ratings drop, if the viewers are there it seems like a show can struggle on for a bit longer.

So ya, Happy started well with season 1 ratings at a good 0.21, season 2 dropped to 0.09, I think it would have been OK for a third season if the viewership was there... but it was not. So, I think, RIP Happy.

I dunno, I've enjoyed the hell out of Happy. It was one hell of a ride, and I think all the actors/actresses did an amazing job. It got to be wacky as poo poo, not all that cohesive at times, but wrapped up well and kept me watching to the end. I would like to see more, but I won't hold my breath.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Knee posted:

I don't think it's the ratings that are going to get it dropped [...] I think it's the viewership that will lead to it being dropped.

How do you think ratings are calculated? The ratings wizard?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Ok, so ratings are based solely on change in the amount of viewers and different then someone giving something a "rating" like how much they enjoyed a show, or live viewings?

I honestly don't know... just trying to make sense of a bunch of numbers and percentages on a website that don't always add up to why something is renewed vs cancelled. Especially when it comes to SyFy.

And yes, just like the economy I think ratings and decisions are made by wizards, and that's why it's so drat confusing at times.

Regardless I think it's the -56.19% change for Happy, not that it's at 0.09. The change between seasons that will kill it.

Knee fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 1, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
sy-fy cancellations are attributed by throwing darts at the lineup after a bottle of turps.

e: really it's live views, syndication deals, cost, social media. They have cancelled just on live views alone, if you believe the bullshit statements they make.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is true. But “ratings” as in the numbers specifically is about viewership. It’s like the percentage of TVs turned on at the time that were tuned to that channel.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I want season 3, I really do, but even if I don’t get to see the god-hunting witch sisterhood in action and Hailey Nick her way into prison to save Amanda I’m okay with that.

Was kind of hoping to see Orcus get killed and a little cartoon devil imaginary friend pop out of Blue’s body but hey, I am still super pleased with what we got.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon the international Netflix deal will save this show, that and Wynonna Earp going into a crazy state of arrested limbo, Killjoys ending, etc.

If it goes I'll genuinely be sad about it. I thought this second season was the tits, and I reckon I liked it more than the first all up.

I think it suffered from that classic dark-night-of-the-soul structure that a lot of seasons go through and people typically dislike (cast split up, get depressed, deny some inherent quality of theirs, then decide they were wrong all along and end up back together at the end). But I think it helped that they laid out the season's plot explicitly right from the very start, with Sunny's rant about what Easter means ("there's always a resurrection!" or w/e).

I also enjoyed all the answers they gave this year. There's basically no hanging mythology left over at this point, yeah? Imaginary friends are lost deities, with domain over different fields. Happy's a love god, and Orcus is a god of suicides. The Wishes were all about children's dreams.

I reckon a Hallowe'en season could be absolutely killer though. They'd have to introduce a lot of new plot though, I reckon the lady cult isn't quite enough to carry a season.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

It's official, SyFy cancelled it :smith:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Kinda figured. C’est la vie. I’m still happy with what we got.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Labes for days posted:

Kinda figured. C’est la vie. I’m still Happy! with what we got.

ftfy

I hope Netflix picks up Happy and the actors stick with it. Either they are really good actors (which they are) or just really seemed to enjoy the craziness that they were performing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That's a shame if not exactly unexpected.

A Halloween season with undead Sax would have been interesting to see.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Universal is going to shop it around so there's still hope that Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. may pick it up.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I also hope it gets picked up by a streaming service. This and Preacher are about the only live-action shows I’ve followed in like...a decade because they’re insane and weird and amazing.

(Don’t tell Jesse though because I like Nick more. :ssh:)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Labes for days posted:

I also hope it gets picked up by a streaming service. This and Preacher are about the only live-action shows I’ve followed in like...a decade because they’re insane and weird and amazing.

I recommend What We Do In The Shadows if you're looking for more stuff to watch that's dark and goofy. It's closer to Happy! than Preacher in tone but each show has a really unique voice.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I LOVE the movie but haven’t gotten around to the show yet, so I’ll give it a look.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Being a fan of the movie myself, the show trailer worried me because it just made it feel like a rehash of the movie. Luckily it's not the case. By episode 2 you can tell it's its own thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Labes for days posted:

You should try Doom Patrol

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love the Morrison comics but don’t have the service it airs on. :smith:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Labes for days posted:

I love the Morrison comics but don’t have the service it airs on. :smith:

:filez:

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Also killed deadly class and kill joys :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Godmode Enabled posted:

Also killed deadly class and kill joys :(

Killjoys was given a final season last year though

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't hate this show but I'm not feeling this season like I did one. (smoothie is one of the coolest villains ever, I love that guy) Like, I know the point is 'shows weird' but when you get THIS weird you better have your core conceits solidly defined because its harder to hold onto them and I don't think they did. The first season was about innocence but now its about... parenthood? Addiction? dropping acid and waking up sobbing next to a huge pink monster??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I don't hate this show but I'm not feeling this season like I did one. (smoothie is one of the coolest villains ever, I love that guy) Like, I know the point is 'shows weird' but when you get THIS weird you better have your core conceits solidly defined because its harder to hold onto them and I don't think they did. The first season was about innocence but now its about... parenthood? Addiction? dropping acid and waking up sobbing next to a huge pink monster??

It's about lost innocence. What people do when they've been through something traumatic and are trying to recover, and how that's essentially a process of self-transformation.

Everyone hits rock bottom, everyone tries to be someone they're not, etc. etc.