Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

The LP World? It's a Mess.

So how did I go about this LP in a semi-technical manner? Well there are best I can figure like 2 or 3 major ways one does this sort of thing.

The first and probably the most infernally tempting is the VLP method which I have basically no experience in but if someone wants to go into brass tacks on it go wild. The pros are everyone gets to hear your Radio Voice, people can see the interface in real time and perhaps better learn how to navigate it, and you can edit things into your videos I guess??? Cons include everyone hearing your Radio Voice, people get to see the interface in real time and you might feel compelled to spice everything up with further editing. I never bothered to learn or get the software for VLP stuff and I am a curmudgeon set in my ways so fie!

So instead I opt for the SSLP because I don't know I like text and can better manage pacing and I know how to do it. But... you need those screenshots from your turns of course...

So one thing people do and maybe you can do it too if you like is they make copies of each of their turns. They go into the save games folder, make a copy, change the name of the file so that they can find it and they can revisit it at any time in the Continue An Old Game thing in the menu. I guess you might want to partition them off in a different file until you need them or your Continue An Old Game thing will have like 50 save games named like DominionsNoKremaths[integer]. I don't do that because lordy that seems like trouble. There are definite advantages to this though. You CAN go back to get additional screenshots or to turn fights into videos or gifs if that is your thing. If someone wants to get blow-by-blow about it go wild. You can also ask around in discord someone probably knows way too much about it.

So what I did was make use of the the LPix SSLP test thing. You can use it to make test things and edit them. When you Create a Test Post it creates a persistent URL for that post that you can see if you click the 'click here to edit'. So what I did was I took all the screenshots I wanted, uploaded them and created a draft LP turn with my notes and etc. I was able to view it to see how it looked, make sure my screenshots were in order and edit it later if I wanted. You could, of course, also do this with, like, notepad or something in that ballpark, but I found the ability to see my work in relative real time convenient.

So I took all the URLs to the various turns and organized them in a googledoc as I went, then when the time came I would do pass on the turn the night before I was going to post it to flesh out the commentary so I could just copy and paste the entire thing the next morning. A word of caution on using the SSLP site anyway. If you close the window (hitting x, computer crash, etc) it will not save anything since the last time you hit Create a Test Post. Anyway this is the system I used and I was able to keep a persistent daily post schedule despite the best efforts of fashy landlord sympathizers.

If you are going to undertake a Dominions 5 LP, GOOD LUCK TO YOU. My advice would be

1- Have Fun With It.
Not to be confused perhaps with 'stop doing it if it isn't fun anymore' exactly (but you know do whatever you gotta for your mental health in 2019) but just be ready to own the ups and downs of playing Dominions. If you are going down, do your best to die legendary on the fury road and take everyone along for your fatal ride Find your voice and own it. If you are going to have boring stretches do your best to keep it engaging even if you are just expanding underwater for like two goddamn years. There is a lot of colorful and weird cruft to highlight and explore in the world of Dominions when things are dull. throws up piles of bless discussions to distract from doldrums

2- It's Just a Game
Don't get mad at video games. If you get really mad and quit when the game doesn't work right (ha ha dominions) or you get insanely backstab betrayed (ha ha goons) um don't! Everyone is ultimately just here to have a good time watching Odin glass Anubis' soul-eating super dog while zoroastrian demigods drown because you took off the water booster robe that also gives UW breathing and why WOULDNT the daeva of sweet waters or whatever breathe underwater actually illwinter what the heckkkkk

There is probably other sage wisdom to be had, so if you have questions or want advice the discord channel is always there we are mostly nice!

In conclusion, Dominions 5 is a game of contrasts. Thank you all for reading along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Thank you again for the LP Ramc, your writing is always entertaining.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

If you want even more Dominions, the newbie game is being lped here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
And I did a report on a game that just finished here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842007&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post495897599

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hey what was with the MOON BLADE? memes? I don't understand them. Do they do randomized damage or something?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Artificer posted:

Hey what was with the MOON BLADE? memes? I don't understand them. Do they do randomized damage or something?

Moon blades deal double damage to magic beings. The presence of a moon blade on the unit was just extremely unexpected and borderline absurd but it worked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, they're a refence to the infamous MOON GOD!? panel of a comic mocking muslims made by the creepy American fundie Jack Chick.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Mu posted:

im posting picture this: a militia man, squaring up to the colossal head. the militia man is wiry, energetic, itching for a fight. he's probably in his early twenties, and still figuring out what kind of man he is and his place in the world. the colossal head is a giant stone head. it weighs like 20 tons. it's over 2000 years old and it doesn't do anything at all. the militia man winds up-- and he punches the stone head. he punches it hard. i mean, this guy, he gives it everything, he gives it everything he's got. as his fist connects with the stony surface of the colossal head, his hand instantly shatters into a hundred pieces. you can really hear it too, as it breaks into bits. it's this wet crunching noise. the militia man himself, he doesn't scream or cry anything, he just makes this really sad sound. it's not quite a wheeze and it's not quite a whine. it's like when you step on an old balloon. just this weird kind of drawn-out squeak from somewhere in his throat. and then he just falls to his knees. what's the moral of the story? there's isn't a moral to the story. the guy just smashed his hand to pieces. there isn't a moral. it's not--it isn't that kind of story. listen, i'm done talking here. i'm done talking. just, get out of here. get out of my face already. we're done here.
hi im only halfway through the thread but i wanted to post to say this dumb poo poo made me laugh so hard i started crying last night. ok thanks bye.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Ramc posted:

Moon blades deal double damage to magic beings. The presence of a moon blade on the unit was just extremely unexpected and borderline absurd but it worked.

he wasn't even set up to fight a magic being. It was just a big enchanted sword

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What independent strength do most multiplayer games use?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

5 just 5, op

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
But I always do test games versus 7. For a safety margin

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
setting it to 9 is good fun

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What's the maximum value for indies? Would be hilarious to see a max value game. I think I tried it against the AI once and it just hamstrings them so badly that you take over the entire map before they manage to expand.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Washout posted:

What's the maximum value for indies? Would be hilarious to see a max value game. I think I tried it against the AI once and it just hamstrings them so badly that you take over the entire map before they manage to expand.

Max out Indies at 9 and then set all resources/recruit/income at 300%. Then play the Pankor map. Massive 2200 unit battles.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Donkringel posted:

Max out Indies at 9 and then set all resources/recruit/income at 300%. Then play the Pankor map. Massive 2200 unit battles.

That's a mo' money game, friend.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm on vacation next week, but would totally play that game. Max all the things. Including thrones. Whoever goes AI last wins.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i ran a 300% indie level 9 game and i recommend something more like uh, maybe 150%

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and also a map that isnt pankor

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tollymain posted:

i ran a 300% indie level 9 game and i recommend something more like uh, maybe 150%

Same, turns started taking forever because several AIs got themselves 5000+ unit doomstacks by the end of the game. They were fun to defeat but the lag wasn't fun.

FnkyTwn
May 26, 2004

I Wanna Rock Yer Body
(To The Break Of Dawn)

LordSloth posted:

Just for clarity’s sake, you can do a direct connection blitz game, but god help you when multiple players start watching battles. The only sop to your sanity is the new turn sound when the turn posts. I hope you didn’t turn off those classy dom5 sounds.

Outside of a PDF or patch notes, you're the only person on the internet to mention the "turn sound" (which is crazy). The sound only plays when i'm tabbed out of the game, but is there a way to get it to play while the game is up?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
poo poo wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wrong thread

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 27, 2020