Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I guess with the new AI the Zeta fight in the sand pit wouldn't work. That one was always a bitch in the original. Hope you brought wave beam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

In the original release I considered zetas to be the hardest fights (or at least the most drawn out and tedious) of the game.

Then Samus Returns came, and they were the worst fight in EITHER game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgErWJbza7s

Samus takes a trip into the planet's core for what is probably the coolest part of the game.

Also photosentivity warning. This section has a lot of flashing effects on the screen. So watch out for that.

Also the music in the first part of the video is extremely quiet, and we talk over it so give it a listen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLp0bFqnB0

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 3, 2019

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

As interesting as the thermal reactor sequence is, I don't think I like it in the grand scheme of the game.

For one, the whole escape feels tacked on when it's just smack dab in the middle of the game like that and doesn't feel right. Samus Returns I think manages to make a mid-game "escape" work a bit better narratively with the Diggernaut Chase developing that mini story further, plus manages to twist it a bit by not being about yet another explosion, but rather something massive chasing you through the caverns.

Then for another thing, unfortunately an area I feel AM2R falls short in is when it tries to do original boss ideas like this weird chicken tank thing which looks and feels like a total joke that takes me out of what should be an intense sequence.

Lastly, I don't know if I like detonating the bomb to leave you on that little health with a fair bit of obstacles between you and the nearest health refresh. It's not exactly hard to be careful on your way back, but it still feels like artificial difficulty for doing everything right.

Been enjoying the LP so far, it's interesting to see how the game's developed since the launch version.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I really enjoyed this escape the first time I played it, and I think there's a lot to appreciate about it. I like the way it creates the tension and atmosphere of a timed escape while actually being scripted (as far as I know, the "temperature" only advances based on your progress, and you actually can't lose; I know I've dawdled a lot in this section, although they could've changed how it works since the release I played), and the "you fail but survive" ending is a nice subversion that's very surprising the first time you see it. It's wonderfully atmospheric.

What I don't like is that most of what makes this great is lost on a replay, except insofar as it evokes nostalgia for the first time you played it (at least, this was my experience). Once you realise the timer isn't a timer, all the tension is taken out and feels really artificial, so the sense of challenge is lost; when you know what to look for, it's easy to see the "temperature" metre advancing at fixed points, especially close to the end of it (this is especially obvious if you use normal bombs instead of power bombs in that room near the end). And when you know to double back for the energy tank, you no longer have that panicked moment of "must get to save point without dying" after you actually do get out.

I don't know. On balance I do still like this sequence, but it's definitely not perfect.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkew85RdnE

Onto Area 5, a wholly new section for AM2R.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQqmzbGUpoc

Today's update features That Shinespark Puzzle.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Those are screwy puzzles.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DoubleNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgErWJbza7s

Samus takes a trip into the planet's core for what is probably the coolest part of the game.

Also photosentivity warning. This section has a lot of flashing effects on the screen. So watch out for that.

Also the music in the first part of the video is extremely quiet, and we talk over it so give it a listen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLp0bFqnB0

oh gently caress that was a cool segment

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyCIA059bA

Today's video comes with another photosensitivity warning because I start using power bombs offensively against the boss. This also marks the last major upgrade in the game!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd love a comprehensive hate LP of Other M. Honestly, it's what we all deserve, and a discussion of gameplay design issues would be interesting (alongside the execrable story).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love a comprehensive hate LP of Other M. Honestly, it's what we all deserve, and a discussion of gameplay design issues would be interesting (alongside the execrable story).

I don't remember if it's comprehensive, but maple leaf did a hate lp of other m that's on the archive
https://lparchive.org/Metroid-Other-M/

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Serris here feels like one of the biggest misteps of AM2R. We already know how Serris acts and fights from Fusion and it's just... incredibly lacking compared to its fusion version.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

that serris fight was incredibly lame. he didn't even go fast. going super-fast and destroying the platforms would have made it a much better fight.
weaponizing the power bombs against him was really cool and i can think of only one other boss (coincidentally, also in a Metroid 2 remake) that uses the power bombs for massive damage.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

weaponizing the power bombs against him was really cool and i can think of only one other boss (coincidentally, also in a Metroid 2 remake) that uses the power bombs for massive damage.

Metroid Prime's Thardus really doesn't like getting hit by power bombs either. :science:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Power bombs let you shortcut the Arachnus fight! :eng101: (That guy what guarded jump ball)

You only need to lay 3. Each one destroys one of the conduits on the walls, and the boss is programmed to die when all the conduits are gone.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDcJPGpg2s

Today's a short video, just grabbing a couple of powerups to finish off the Distribution Center.

The 20 seconds of silence toward the start is where I cut out a joke that fell completely flat. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbV0cJm8Hg

Today we grab a few items from across the game world and then we go to the deepest depths of SR388!

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Got to say my favorite change to the AM2R 1.0+ versions was that little option hidden in the settings of "more Metroids" I hope you've turned it on.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEr-E5e4hoM

We kill the final Alpha Metroid in this one and get introduced to their bigger, meaner brothers... the Omegas.

terrenblade posted:

Got to say my favorite change to the AM2R 1.0+ versions was that little option hidden in the settings of "more Metroids" I hope you've turned it on.

Is that the one that makes larval metroids a lot more threatening? I didn't turn it on for the recording, sad to say.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't know if this is a common opinion, but I actually think the omegas are easier than zetas in this game? At least once you get used to them, anyway.

I don't want to backseat game too much, but it seems like the big mistake you were making fighting this one is trying to use diagonal aiming. It's a lot easier to make short hops and fire the missiles horizontally, especially because you can keep your distance that way and don't need to get in range of the claws. Then it's just "missile the thing, back up, missile, etc until you run out of room, space jump over it, repeat until dead". They're all fought in pretty open rooms, so you can use the same pattern on all of them once you work it out.

I like them and I certainly remember how scary they were on first encounter (so it's nice to see you show that off in the LP!), they just do so much damage and the stun timing is awkward to avoid at first, but I don't find them too bad now.

I think the reason they were nerfed was to make low% runs more feasible, because they just had too much health otherwise?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Explopyro posted:

I don't want to backseat game too much, but it seems like the big mistake you were making fighting this one is trying to use diagonal aiming. It's a lot easier to make short hops and fire the missiles horizontally, especially because you can keep your distance that way and don't need to get in range of the claws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABwstJNw2xE

Hopefully this new video shows that, yes, I can fight Omegas properly. All remaining three of them, in fact!

There's two more videos in the LP, and rather than stretch this out to next Tuesday, I'm gonna adopt a slightly faster update schedule for this week.

This video today, a short "everything I missed" on Thursday, and then the finale on Saturday.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The empty area and the giant room at the end of it appear intended to tell a story about where the metroids came from. I look forward to seeing if I'm right.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's kind of funny how you say the Omega fights in this one are easier than the GameBoy version.
I always considered the Zeta Metroids to be the hardest enemy in Metroid II because they very aggressively hound you without letting up, while the Omega Metroids seem a lot more sluggish and sedate. Sure, they take more missiles and hit like a truck, but I remember being relieved to see an Omega Metroid rather than a Zeta one.
They're bastards in the 3DS version, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZieGTdSe-bU

Very short video today! This is something you can do any time after getting power bombs. You just have to return to that one hallway where you found the research team's remains.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

for a bonus boss, i was expecting something actually, y'know, cool and challenging. not that. that was lame and you basically bitchslapped him.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

for a bonus boss, i was expecting something actually, y'know, cool and challenging. not that. that was lame and you basically bitchslapped him.

It's kinda weird for a bonus boss too, since it's just a random enemy from Fusion that's not a boss. They just hang out in crawl spaces and drip acid down pretty non-threateningly.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think it worked better as a blind encounter on a first playthrough, when you weren't expecting it to be there in the first place and it's hard to keep track of in the dark. Once you know what it does and how to fight it, it's pretty toothless, but it was a pretty scary encounter the first time (the music and environment help to build tension too).

It's also one of the few bosses in the game that can be harmed with beam weapons. I think it tends to last a bit longer if you don't use super missiles (or don't manage to connect with them and run out).

Calling it a "bonus boss" is a bit misleading, really, because people tend to assume that means a higher level of challenge than the rest of the game. It's just an optional fight that isn't based on anything in Metroid II (which I guess satisfies the meaning of "bonus").

They've definitely added a lot of lore content since the version I played, though. The dead soldier logs weren't in the first releases, and I remember different text on the ship itself.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I think it worked better as a blind encounter on a first playthrough, when you weren't expecting it to be there in the first place and it's hard to keep track of in the dark. Once you know what it does and how to fight it, it's pretty toothless, but it was a pretty scary encounter the first time (the music and environment help to build tension too).

It's also one of the few bosses in the game that can be harmed with beam weapons. I think it tends to last a bit longer if you don't use super missiles (or don't manage to connect with them and run out).

Calling it a "bonus boss" is a bit misleading, really, because people tend to assume that means a higher level of challenge than the rest of the game. It's just an optional fight that isn't based on anything in Metroid II (which I guess satisfies the meaning of "bonus").

They've definitely added a lot of lore content since the version I played, though. The dead soldier logs weren't in the first releases, and I remember different text on the ship itself.

Fighting it with normal missiles, two powerbombs and I think wave beam is !!fun!! in randomizer (he locked speedbooster.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGf6JiKHkw

Here's the final video! That's all, folks.

In case you're interested, here's all three ending screens:

>4 Hours
2-4 Hours
<2 Hours

These and all other AM2R art stuff were drawn by Zim Kahn

Facebook
DeviantArt
Instagram

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 1, 2019

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Metroid Queen was kind of an incredibly lame final boss.

The end fight against Meta Ridley in Samus Returns is weird and comes out of nowhere, but ends up bridging the gap between Prime and Super Metroid pretty well and it's a really cool fight.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Hmm. There's definitely some stuff here that I hadn't seen before, too. A lot of the lore stuff here wasn't in the version I played (like that Chozo message, and the stinger with the crystals being X), and the queen didn't have the green spray attack. I'd been wondering why you were saying the fight was tough, because I remembered it being pretty easy once you realise you can shoot the projectiles to get refills (it's still a long fight, but that's about it), but that last phase at least adds something.

Thanks for showing off this version of the game!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
So, was that extra cutscene with the X parasite added by the team who took over? Because Samus Returns had a very similar one, even down to the same creature showing up.

edit: ^^^That answers my question! Thanks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The cutscene, IIRC, only shows up if you get 100% items and scans. Also the first time you get it, it unlocks Fusion Mode, where the whole planet is taken over by X Parasites and the Metroid fights are that much harder. Also on top of Hard Mode halving the value of powerups in the game, you take 40% more damage from all sources.

It's really hard.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 1, 2019

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So you noticed that your bombs did damage to the Queen, but iirc, it's not regular bomb damage, she's actually weak against them and takes as much damage from them as super missiles, possibly more? Also those are some neat additions from when I played, I think I'll need to run through this myself and try out that fusion mode.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Eopia posted:

It's kinda weird for a bonus boss too, since it's just a random enemy from Fusion that's not a boss. They just hang out in crawl spaces and drip acid down pretty non-threateningly.

I mean, the whole thing is an extended Alien/Aliens reference, what with characters named things like Dallas, Ash, and Hudson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://lparchive.org/AM2R/

Thank you thread and good night!