Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marbychu
Apr 16, 2018

Pokemon. You know 'em, you love 'em, You Gotta Catch 'Em All.

Pokemon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition, more commonly known as Pokemon Yellow, was a special version of Red and Blue that gave you Pikachu as your starter instead of one of the other 3. It also featured different encounter rates and new trainers to match the anime that was ongoing at the time, a following Pokemon that reacted to various things that happened to it (the aforementioned Pikachu), and, perhaps most importantly... bug fixes. Lots and LOTS of bug fixes.

I'm here today to bring you this fine game in LP form. Keep in mind that I have never beaten a Gen 1 game, in fact I've barely played them, so hopefully my co-host (who is a far greater expert on the matter) will be able to assist me.

"Wait, just who the heck are you?"

I'm Marbychu, or just Marby for short. Some of you may recognize my name from the Fantasy Maiden Wars Dream LP, as I posted there occasionally towards the end of its run, though I don't think any of you really know who I am. This is my first LP, and it'll serve not just as an LP for this game, but as an introduction to me... I guess? Nice to meet you all!

But it's not just me. I'm joined by my... "acquaintance" (he doesn't really like the word "friend", you see) from another online forum, someone I've known for... Gosh, it's probably been around 5 or 6 years now? Great_Reapette is his (user)name, but everyone just calls him Reap. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an account here though.

"So... why a VLP? Wouldn't a SSLP work better for this kind of thing?

I guess it would, but honestly from the research I've done, VLPs are far easier to deal with. My track record with finishing various projects is... not the best around, so if I had to do a SSLP I probably would never get it done. Also, I wanted to work on this with someone else, and if I do a SSLP there wouldn't really be that much work for Reap to do, right? (Not that I think he'd mind, of course...)

"So how's this gonna work? Will there be viewer participation?"

As a matter of fact, YES! In fact, scroll to the bottom of this post, and you'll see there's already a vote! Before each Gym Leader (and maybe at other times too), I'm going to have you guys vote in a team to face that Gym Leader (or section of the game). This team will also be used up until the next vote. With that, there are a few rules in mind:

1. Pikachu is always forced. I know we can box it, but, as Reap so eloquently put it, "(I am) a major Pikachu fanboy". Plus it wouldn't really be Yellow if we didn't use this thing to the end.
2. I can also force other Pokemon for certain sections. I'll try not to do this TOO often, but you will see it from time to time.
3. You can vote for Pokemon we don't have, as long as we have access to that Pokemon at that specific time (stuff like Weedle, Ekans, etc. are never allowed, as we can't get them in Yellow without glitches). Just please, don't intentionally vote for things that we don't have that would be a major pain, like anything super rare in the Safari Zone (I'm assuming that's in Yellow, right?)
4. Please don't vote for a team that solely exists just to give me a hard time. What I mean for this is, for example, with Surge; PLEASE don't vote a full team of Water and/or Flying types. I don't mind you voting something with a type disadvantage, but don't make that the whole team. There's a challenge, and there's a living hell.
5. Don't vote for duplicate families/species. By which I mean, don't vote for a full team of Poliwhirls, or a team of 2 Poliwags, a Poliwhirl, and a Poliwrath, stuff like that, for example. With a few exceptions, I don't plan on capturing more than 1 of a Pokemon in a family (For example, I'd be catching only one of Oddish, Gloom, or Vileplume)

I know that's a lot to take in, but think of it this way: Vote for up to however many Pokemon I say (you CAN vote less, if you want), as long as we can actually obtain them, they're not all designed to give me a tough time (again, a few are okay), and they're all different families.

You can also vote on nicknames! Feel free to vote for a nickname for any Pokemon you're voting for! I didn't give them nicknames upon catching, but thanks to the power of cheating technology, I can change them at any time (or I should be able to, anyway)

There may also be other ways you viewers can participate. One such instance comes at the end of this post.

"Is there a spoiler policy?

Pokemon games usually don't have much story to spoil, ESPECIALLY the older ones. I'm going into this somewhat blind, but I don't mind you telling me about mechanics or how some fights may go.

So with all that said, it's time for the first vote! And there's 2 things to vote for!

First is our team for Brock. Pretty much anything from Routes 1, 2, or 22 and the Viridian Forest are available, and I think we've caught most of them. Pikachu, as will be the case for this entire LP, is forced, but I'm also forcing Mankey for this fight. So vote for up to 4 Pokemon. Brock is a complete and utter pain in this game solely because you have no access to Bulbasaur or Squirtle before this fight, or really any Grass or Water type. I need all the help I can get.

I believe the full list of Pokemon available at this point (besides forced) are as follows: Pidgey/Pidgeotto, Rattata, Caterpie/Metapod, NidoranM, NidoranF, Spearow, and... I think that's actually it. Not much in the way of variety here. Rule 4 is gonna be hard to avoid too, as most of these mons suck against the Rock type, so I'm gonna be a little bit flexible on this one. Our options will expand VERY soon though.

The second thing I want you guys to vote on is this: We'll probably be tackling Mount Moon next episode, assuming Brock doesn't give us too much trouble, so I need to know now: Dome Fossil or PRAISE HELIX?

If you see the above lines describing the first vote and they've got the strikethrough tag around them, then it no longer applies. Sorry for any confusion.

UPDATES

Part 1: Wait, THAT'S in Viridian Forest?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marbychu
Apr 16, 2018
Reserve post just in case it's needed.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Dome Fossil

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So uh, since nobody else seems to be bothering, let me be honest.

I don't know if you ran this LP through the sandcastle before posting it here, but anyway.

Old-gen pokemon games have been done so often, LPing them is a challenge. You have to truly bring something original to the table like a humorous take or some special challenge or whatever or people will probably not be very interested anymore.

I watched about 20 minutes of your video, and even though you're not really doing a bad job (other than that awful Prof Oak impersonation) it can't keep my attention. Pokemon is hard to LP... and doing it as a video LP is even harder because turn-based RPGs are quite boring to watch in video form. Keeping my attention for 20 minutes was hard enough, let alone for nearly an hour and a half (!) which is very long for any kind of LP video.

For these reasons I'll be skipping this LP. But if you ever decide to do a game I'm interested in and that hasn't been done to death I might well watch that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pokemon is hard to LP

Not really. It's the video that makes it fall apart. You need a ton of editing and even then, it's 1st generation Pokemon, it's not much to hear or look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marbychu
Apr 16, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

So uh, since nobody else seems to be bothering, let me be honest.

I don't know if you ran this LP through the sandcastle before posting it here, but anyway.

Old-gen pokemon games have been done so often, LPing them is a challenge. You have to truly bring something original to the table like a humorous take or some special challenge or whatever or people will probably not be very interested anymore.

I watched about 20 minutes of your video, and even though you're not really doing a bad job (other than that awful Prof Oak impersonation) it can't keep my attention. Pokemon is hard to LP... and doing it as a video LP is even harder because turn-based RPGs are quite boring to watch in video form. Keeping my attention for 20 minutes was hard enough, let alone for nearly an hour and a half (!) which is very long for any kind of LP video.

For these reasons I'll be skipping this LP. But if you ever decide to do a game I'm interested in and that hasn't been done to death I might well watch that.

Before I say anything else, I wanna thank you for the feedback. This is (or rather, would have been) my first LP and I wanted to start with something that I was pretty familiar with (Pokemon in general) but also could learn something new about (Gen 1 in particular)

The reason I didn't go through the sandcastle was because I didn't really think I needed any help. I had the idea of what I wanted to do, and I knew how to execute it, so I felt it would've just been an interest check... which doesn't seem to be allowed. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I knew of 1 Yellow LP before this one, which happened a while ago, so I didn't really know Yellow had been done to death. I had been considering a special challenge, but the only one I could think of was a Nuzlocke, and I kinda suck at those. That, combined with my comparatively low knowledge of Gen 1 compared to other generations, made me opt for a normal run. I had decided to make a VLP for the reason I specified in the OP, but also because I knew most Pokemon LPs were SSLP (for good reason) and I thought even if SSLP was a better format, a VLP would be a different enough idea to make it stand out a bit. Guess that wasn't quite the case.

I guess I'll just stick to streams, at least until I see a request in the request list topic for a game I would actually feel comfortable playing. Suppose I'll close this topic too, unless a mod would rather delete it so it doesn't take up space? I don't know if that's how it works here.

Thanks again for the feedback, seriously, I'm glad someone told me this now instead of like halfway through the game.