Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Problem description: I'm following the Setting up a share using Windows ACLs guide, but when I reach the section "Granting the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege Privilege" I get:
code:
[root@SERVER ~]# net rpc rights grant 'domain\Domain Admins' SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U'domain\administrator'
Enter domain\administrator's password:
Bad SMB2 signature for message
[0000] 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........ ........
[0000] 81 8D EE 34 E2 D5 68 7A   47 F3 DF 95 9C 57 E0 77   ...4..hz G....W.w
Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
my current smb.conf is:
code:
# See smb.conf.example for a more detailed config file or
# read the smb.conf manpage.
# Run 'testparm' to verify the config is correct after
# you modified it.

[global]
        workgroup = domain
        netbios name = servername
        security = user
        username map = /etc/samba/user.map
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        passdb backend = tdbsam

printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw

vfs objects = acl_xattr
        map acl inherit = yes
        store dos attributes = yes
Attempted fixes:
  • Creating a user mapping file called user.map in /etc/samba with "!root: domain\Administrator domain\administrator" and adding "username map = /etc/samba/user.map" to smb.conf.
  • Adding the lines "bind interfaces only = yes" and "interfaces = lo eth0" to smb.conf.
  • Using different domain admin accounts on the -U flag
  • Specifying "bind interfaces only = no" in smb.conf

Recent changes: This is a freshly spun up VM of CentOS 7.

--

Operating system: CentOS 7 x64 with KDE.

System specs: VM in Hyper-V assigned 1 CPU, 4GB RAM, and 100GB storage.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Are you setting this up as a standalone server or have you joined a AD Domain, are you using the server as an AD DC or are you trying to use this as a NT4 PDC?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

This is a server joined to an AD domain. I can use getent to get users and groups from the DC, and I can log onto the server using domain credentials so I believe that part is working correctly.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

McPhearson posted:

This is a server joined to an AD domain. I can use getent to get users and groups from the DC, and I can log onto the server using domain credentials so I believe that part is working correctly.

You're not contacting a DC to authenticate for the rights grant, net rpc is trying to authenticate against the local system

Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

For the NET command try adding -w|--workgroup target-workgroup which Sets target workgroup or domain. You have to specify either this option or the IP address or the name of a server.

You may have to add a realm=your.kerberos.REALM, security=ADS, and possibly password server = your.kerberos.server to specify what server to authenticate against in smb.conf.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

zharmad posted:

You may have to add a realm=your.kerberos.REALM, security=ADS, and possibly password server = your.kerberos.server to specify what server to authenticate against in smb.conf.

This was it! Adding that gave me a different error message: Failed to grant privileges for DOMAIN\Domain Admins (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
That led me to some Googling and apparently instead of net rpc rights grant, I should have been using net sam rights grant. Now I have samba shares that can be managed with windows ACL's! Thank you!