Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here are the descriptions of his traditional powers.

"Speed of Mercury: By channeling Mercury's speed, Captain Marvel can move at superhuman speeds comparable to the Flash and fly at supersonic speed. He is able to move at sub-light speeds in orbit and, in outer space, he can fly at trans-light speeds.The pre-1985 stories also let him travel to the Rock of Eternity by flying faster than the speed of light."

How many DC heroes can do this? You'd think it'd step on what the Flash is all about, everyone and their grandma having super-speed and also super everything else.

Definitely, the Flash having crazy causality-breaking speed that he uses for time travel and poo poo is my favorite aspect of that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xealot posted:

How many DC heroes can do this? You'd think it'd step on what the Flash is all about, everyone and their grandma having super-speed and also super everything else.

Definitely, the Flash having crazy causality-breaking speed that he uses for time travel and poo poo is my favorite aspect of that character.

Like, basically all of them. Superman obviously can, Martian Manhunter is basically Superman with a bunch of extra powers but a hilariously common weakness so he can, Wonder Woman I think has the speed of Hermes or something and is super-sonic but not sub-light but still like bullet catching fast, I think Green Lantern can travel FTL when he is actually in space and can just travel planet to planet by focusing really hard (but he can't perceive poo poo in slow-motion like the others), then each of those guys has like 3+ and sometimes in the realm of a dozen derivative characters like -boys, -girls, lads, kids, etc

That's why they had to give Flash a bunch of hyper weird poo poo like inter-dimensional travel, time travel, the ability to tell his own atoms to move around other atoms so he can like walk through walls, etc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also as that thing mentioned he can only go at stupid fast speeds in space or orbit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given Green Lanterns are specifically meant to be an interplanetary police force with nothing but the ring, being able to travel FTL and even bring people with them is kind of necessary. The ring is basically an AI and can handle FTL travel mostly by its wielder basically thinking about where they want to go.

Given the somewhat more sci-fi derived nature of most DC superheroes, more recent depictions have played up Shazam's magical nature and the implications thereof. The movie absolutely had the right idea in showing Billy's just dipping his toes into the worlds of sheer weirdness that the mantle is connected to.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given Green Lanterns are specifically meant to be an interplanetary police force with nothing but the ring, being able to travel FTL and even bring people with them is kind of necessary. The ring is basically an AI and can handle FTL travel mostly by its wielder basically thinking about where they want to go.

Given the somewhat more sci-fi derived nature of most DC superheroes, more recent depictions have played up Shazam's magical nature and the implications thereof. The movie absolutely had the right idea in showing Billy's just dipping his toes into the worlds of sheer weirdness that the mantle is connected to.

My favorite example of that is Billy and Superman doing a thing in space, and of course Superman can hold his breath for hours but Billy's magic allows him to breathe and talk in space so he's just chatting away like it's a Sunday stroll.