Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Either way, that's still better than the system that is normally in place :v:

Anyway, here's today's run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpCVgAuie4

:honked: VOTING TIME :honked:

Keeping up with things, PICK ANYTHING ON THE TREE. Voting will end June 9th at 2 EDT.

2 more missions! Almost home!

We'll get that space elevator if it's the last thing we do!!!

Which it... very well may be if we're near it when it goes down. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

We'll get that space elevator if it's the last thing we do!!!

Which it... very well may be if we're near it when it goes down. :ohdear:

It'd make for a great ending to a prog metal concept album.

Last track summary: Hero dies when a goddamn space elevator falls on him.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
The next mission is going to be a target rich environment. F-22 with 8AAM, and fill the skies with truly anime levels of missiles.

Edit: I can't remember that the G in AGM stands for Ground...

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Bob Smith posted:

The next mission is going to be a target rich environment. F-22 with 8AAM, and fill the skies with truly anime levels of missiles.

Edit: I can't remember that the G in AGM stands for Ground...

Eh. I personally find the AAMs to be aggressively mediocre. They're good for clearing the offshore platform of planes for that one ACE spawn or taking.out bombers, but otherwise it's better to go for QAAMs IMO.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bob Smith posted:

F-22 with 8AAM
Yeah this, on this mission in particular they're pretty good. And poor Duck hasn't gotten to use either of the 8-series in any mission so far.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Sindai posted:

Yeah this, on this mission in particular they're pretty good. And poor Duck hasn't gotten to use either of the 8-series in any mission so far.

While that looked INCREDIBLY cool to fire, its effectiveness was dubious at best save for 1 situation

Anyway, take a look at the results!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UFmjF3Udg

:honked: VOTING TIME :honked:

Pick anything. Make it good; its the last mission!

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 12, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There's a couple of spots with weird video distortion from me trying to cover something up, so sorry about that.

Also: Sorry for completely ruining any and all impact :haw: this episode's major dramatic moment should have had. I couldn't contain myself. :v:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Man, that Arsenal Bird part of the mission. I died so many times to the Beam Laser.

For this mission, I wouldn't recommend anything other than SU-57 w/ PLSL.

Welp. In researching ideas to further refine throttle/rudder emulation for the X56 Rhino, I managed to enable native support for the entire drat thing. After I pretty much did that through hours of trial and error. :smithicide:

Native is smoother than what I managed to throw together, though not necessarily more functional. Just have to remap the buttons in the input.ini to my preferences, plus now the thumbsticks actually mimic POV headturning. :pcgaming:

If anyone wants to check out the methodology, here ya go, final product.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

There's a couple of spots with weird video distortion from me trying to cover something up, so sorry about that.

Also: Sorry for completely ruining any and all impact :haw: this episode's major dramatic moment should have had. I couldn't contain myself. :v:

You shouldn't be sorry. That was a stupid and unnecessary "plot twist" that was played to simply be emotional impact. The actual even seems to have had very little impact on any of the characters, so I just chalk it up to lazy writing.

Blasphemaster posted:

Man, that Arsenal Bird part of the mission. I died so many times to the Beam Laser.

For this mission, I wouldn't recommend anything other than SU-57 w/ PLSL.

That laser was quite the pain in the rear end--basically like Anime Grandpa's from mission 18 in terms of effects, but completely unexpected when it targets YOU for the first time. I wasn't going to ever finish that mission without shooting it out first.

Blasphemaster posted:

Welp. In researching ideas to further refine throttle/rudder emulation for the X56 Rhino, I managed to enable native support for the entire drat thing. After I pretty much did that through hours of trial and error. :smithicide:

Native is smoother than what I managed to throw together, though not necessarily more functional. Just have to remap the buttons in the input.ini to my preferences, plus now the thumbsticks actually mimic POV headturning. :pcgaming:

If anyone wants to check out the methodology, here ya go, final product.

That sounds pretty awesome (and labor-intensive)! Something I would definitely check out if I had the equipment, as the throttle gives me fits sometimes (hence the numerous stall warnings/actual stalls)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Looked it up out of curiosity and Hugin and Munin are the names of Odin's raven pals.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Su-57 with PLSL is a fine choice.

Huginn and Muninn are the names of Odin's two ravens in Norse mythology. They're called that because that drone model is the ADF-11F Raven and there happen to be two of them I guess. :v:

Also the Raven is flyable now if you have the season pass or DLC.

Speaking of names, I don't think this is mentioned in game ever but since the arsenal birds were Osean (the not-USA) originally they're actually named Liberty and Justice. You're directly responsible for destroying Liberty and Justice, you monster.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 13, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sindai posted:

You're directly responsible for destroying Liberty and Justice, you monster.

Somehow I find this unsurprising.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

That sounds pretty awesome (and labor-intensive)! Something I would definitely check out if I had the equipment, as the throttle gives me fits sometimes (hence the numerous stall warnings/actual stalls)

I suggest seeing if you could find a refurbished X36/X45/X52. They're being discarded in favor of the newer stuff what with the RGB stuff, toggle switches and thumbstick support for separate gimballed weapons for *COUGH*heavilyanticipatedtitles*COUGH*. I had the first two models, they use essentially the same programing software as now. Sturdy stuff, well worth picking up. Otherwise, there's a bunch of HOTAS options on Amazon, I'm just not sure about the programming and customization and such.

Check ebay and whatnot for the used Saiteks though.

After a bit of fiddling I remembered that the Saitek profile doodlyboo program sits atop stuff already running. :science: So I pretty much loaded up my thing, disabled the throttle and rudder stuff in favor of the native support, and now just laugh super hard at everything. I've got smooth throttle and rudders, buttons for months, and both smooth headlooking AND the yoke thumbstick remains my finesse-y aim-y stick.

Now if I could just stop flying around at ridonculous speeds blasting the crap out of everything from nearly impossible angles and turning every engagement into a series of dives, flips and corkscrews just for the glory of it, I might just get my Ace S run.

Yeah that's not gonna happen. :awesomelon: <- this but a pilot helmet

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Also, for the benefit of anyone confused by the dialog in 19, which is probably everyone, including me who's heard it three times, this is from the main thread where someone finally managed to figure out what's going on:

Warmachine posted:

As a side note, the epiphany hit me way back when I was doing my guns only run, but for a while I couldn't figure out why Huxian was so surprised when Count did his thing in Mission 19. It only hit me that in Mission 16 he talks about having a civilian radio in his cockpit and everyone else was a bit surprised by it. Considering that the only way you'd know that Cosette was sabotaging the space elevator is if you were listening to Avril's civilian broadcast... it suddenly makes sense why Count's "scam" worked.
While his allies are dying left and right Count decides to prank them, what a kidder.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 13, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Well, its been quite the ride, but it had to end sometime. Here it is: The big finish!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbDqNNuRG0

Personally, I thought my title was better (Muninncratz and Huginnstern are dead), but I'm not the editor of this outfit :v:

Anyway, this was fun. While the story was....uh...really convoluted, and felt like some of the decisions the writers made didn't really do much for the story, the gameplay is drat fun. if you've played an Ace Combat game before, the controls are more responsive then they've been (maybe just because its generation removed from the last real iterations), the missions are fun to fly (except maybe 9), if not a little predictable. I've messed with multiplayer a little bit and got smacked around pretty hard, so there seems to be quite the learning curve there. Also, the soundtrack is EXCELLENT--as someone who spends their days nit-picking about ensemble performances, I was really impressed with not only the composition, but the orchestration as well. I don't think there was a second where I hated the soundtrack, and that coming from me is high praise.

...now, if you asked me about the soundtrack for Dragon Quest XI, you'd get a different story....

Anyway, if you like Ace Combat, or like flight-based, or action-y games, you almost can't go wrong with this!

I hope you guys enjoyed the thread, and my bumbling attempts to be an ace pilot. Hope you'll join us next time for...well, we haven't decided yet. Thanks for hangin' out, picking planes, and generally being cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Definitely would have to agree that you can't go wrong with AC7 for your shooty planes fix, this was a great pickup even on my side of things. Admittedly even with as dumb as the story was it was at least entertaining. I think being too vague is one of the most inoffensive ways to do bad storytelling, I'd take this over another David Cage joint any dang day.