Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Device: http://tinyurl.com/y2zuoaq3
Previous device with the same issue: http://tinyurl.com/y5phkhn6

Problem description: Any time I connect to a voice system like Discord or Skype that uses the mic for my headset/headphones, the headphones immediately go dead. If I want to hear anything, I have to set the audio device to the headset, which is always, inexplicably, of super lovely quality.

Attempted fixes: This is the second set of BT headphone/headset that has pulled this poo poo. I've found that straight up disabling the headphones can save me a lot of time messing with program settings just trying to get anything to work at all, but that's pretty far from optimal.

Recent changes: No. Been dealing with this for over a year.

--

Operating system: Win 10 Home x64

System specs: i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, 4GB GTX 1080, Sandisk 450MB SSD, 650W PS, Intel 7 Series MB(?)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Is this just a BlueTooth "feature" that I wasn't aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010
I don't know about the audio disconnect issue, but I can speak to the lovely sound quality part of it. It's a "feature" of Bluetooth: when the headset detects that the microphone is active, it decides you're on a phone call and as such don't need much audio bandwidth. It then immediately sends your audio quality to hell for your convenience. For this reason alone I'd advise against using a Bluetooth headset for anything that requires better audio quality than voice calls. I hate to suggest buying more stuff as a solution, but if you want to use a wireless headset, you'll get a better experience using a wireless gaming headset, which typically comes with a USB dongle rather than using Bluetooth. Using a standalone mic instead of the headset mic should circumvent the (audio quality) problem as well.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Erotic Thomas posted:

I don't know about the audio disconnect issue, but I can speak to the lovely sound quality part of it. It's a "feature" of Bluetooth: when the headset detects that the microphone is active, it decides you're on a phone call and as such don't need much audio bandwidth. It then immediately sends your audio quality to hell for your convenience. For this reason alone I'd advise against using a Bluetooth headset for anything that requires better audio quality than voice calls. I hate to suggest buying more stuff as a solution, but if you want to use a wireless headset, you'll get a better experience using a wireless gaming headset, which typically comes with a USB dongle rather than using Bluetooth. Using a standalone mic instead of the headset mic should circumvent the (audio quality) problem as well.

Wow. That's an interesting design choice. I'm just going to return and replace. Thanks for the information.