Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There are some posts in the SAL Teacher venting about students thread where someone talked about her experience teaching the American Civil War in mainland China and it is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

I've heard a variation on this where we intimidated Germany into surrendering by nuking Japan, and then Japan got revenge on us by bombing Pearl Harbor.

Like we called up Hitler and said "hey Adolf, look east, check this poo poo out," and then just dropped a couple of atomic bombs on some random people we weren't even at war with.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ASAPI posted:

That's pretty cool actually, I never thought that I would even be considered as a potential quote in an academic paper. Now I'm going to be all full of myself for a day or so.

I actually did quote you and your words were very useful to me! "I think our interactions have a hierarchy for statements. Our get help thread is untouchable, everyone knows that is NOT the place to poo poo post. It might be a by product of our service. Everyone of us have been in situations where we had to go from "gently caress off" mode to "get poo poo done now" mode at the flip of a switch. We just organically applied that mentality to the various threads to various degrees." (ASAPI)

ASAPI. “Help me be a cunning linguist” The Something Awful Forums. 20 Apr. 2019. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887132&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2. Accessed 30 Apr. 2019.

I just wasn't able to work in the bit about the military never changing, which bums me out to no end.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I do have to admit, I need to take more care with my typing- I shouldn't have (sic) four times in one sentence.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I do have to admit, I need to take more care with my typing- I shouldn't have (sic) four times in one sentence.

I felt bad including it because your meaning was clear, but that's MLA for ya.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

I felt bad including it because your meaning was clear, but that's MLA for ya.

I wasn't upset, I just need to proofread more.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

I actually did quote you and your words were very useful to me! "I think our interactions have a hierarchy for statements. Our get help thread is untouchable, everyone knows that is NOT the place to poo poo post. It might be a by product of our service. Everyone of us have been in situations where we had to go from "gently caress off" mode to "get poo poo done now" mode at the flip of a switch. We just organically applied that mentality to the various threads to various degrees." (ASAPI)

ASAPI. “Help me be a cunning linguist” The Something Awful Forums. 20 Apr. 2019. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887132&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2. Accessed 30 Apr. 2019.

I just wasn't able to work in the bit about the military never changing, which bums me out to no end.

Sweet! Now I get to be full of myself for longer...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm adding this to my resume, along with 'quoted in an NPR print story'. Lol

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Just finished reading the paper, and it was very well done. Again, thank you for thinking that we're an interesting enough group of people to write about.

I found it interesting that you mentioned that women are under represented in the forum (to be clear, I agree that this does appear to be the case) and that we skew towards the GWoT generation. When you were conducting research for this and looking at other communities, did they tend to steer older, like first Gulf War or late Cold War era?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Valley Stared posted:

Just finished reading the paper, and it was very well done. Again, thank you for thinking that we're an interesting enough group of people to write about.

I found it interesting that you mentioned that women are under represented in the forum (to be clear, I agree that this does appear to be the case) and that we skew towards the GWoT generation. When you were conducting research for this and looking at other communities, did they tend to steer older, like first Gulf War or late Cold War era?

My prospectus for the paper was to compare the overall official and unofficial moderation styles of SA as a whole, Reddit, and Facebook and talk about how (im)politeness played out in ways that were similar and dissimilar to spoken American English. I obviously focused it down a little... So basically I didn't really do a survey of vet communities online. I chose to write about GIP because I was already familiar with SA's culture, you guys were actually willing to talk to me, and the real-world military connection bolsters my argument about online communities becoming increasingly hybridized with offline life.

I mentioned the demographics as a hedge against anyone drawing broad conclusions about all vets from my descriptions of GIP.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Can i read it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wroughtirony posted:

That's ok, it's earned a guaranteed place as forward to the next edition of Dickbook

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Soulex posted:

Can i read it?

sure just give me an email address.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sent you a pm

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

55 points out of 55, YAY!

Depending on how badly everyone else bombed the final, I might just get away with an A in the class!

Thanks, goons!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dope! Congrats!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Valley Stared posted:

Another reply to this, now that it's been graded:

My professor did pick up on the gender thing, and his question was that since a lot of "coarse language" is gender marked (men generally cuss more than women in the US) did the anonymity of GIP allow for more female Gippers to adopt typically male-coded language, and if so, why?

Without conducting a demographic study of GIP there's no way of knowing the percentage of women. But I would wager that the women vets/servicemembers that do post here are probably influenced more by military culture than anonymity in the way they speak.

More interesting stuff to think about.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Without conducting a demographic study of GIP there's no way of knowing the percentage of women. But I would wager that the women vets/servicemembers that do post here are probably influenced more by military culture than anonymity in the way they speak.

Anecdotally, I'd say this is the case. The military dialect isn't just the jargon and acronyms, it's also the liberal use of profanity.

Though then I suppose the question is whether the it's a case of service members of whichever gender adopting the military's mode of speaking, if the military is giving them freedom and permission to adopt more profane language, or if the language is inherently male and females feel pressured to adopt it to fit in. Or some combination of the three.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Loden Taylor posted:

Anecdotally, I'd say this is the case. The military dialect isn't just the jargon and acronyms, it's also the liberal use of profanity.

Though then I suppose the question is whether the it's a case of service members of whichever gender adopting the military's mode of speaking, if the military is giving them freedom and permission to adopt more profane language, or if the language is inherently male and females feel pressured to adopt it to fit in. Or some combination of the three.

gently caress it man, who gives a poo poo what people think about the way that you use profanity. there's no rule anywhere that says you can't curse or you won't be allowed to be remembered by history or something. plus, life is short, use the language that suits you best.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

Another reply to this, now that it's been graded:

My professor did pick up on the gender thing, and his question was that since a lot of "coarse language" is gender marked (men generally cuss more than women in the US) did the anonymity of GIP allow for more female Gippers to adopt typically male-coded language, and if so, why?

More interesting stuff to think about.

I've found my experience in the Army showed that the women adopted the men's coarse languages. A lot of "suck on _this_ cock!" and etcetera. The dopest chicks had the foulest mouths. Guar-an-loving-teed.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

thetechnoloser posted:

I've found my experience in the Army showed that the women adopted the men's coarse languages. A lot of "suck on _this_ cock!" and etcetera. The dopest chicks had the foulest mouths. Guar-an-loving-teed.

It makes it difficult to come back to a normal society when women are looked down on for speaking that way.

A male coworker says gently caress and no one cares; if I say gently caress I get dirty looks from everyone.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sarah posted:

It makes it difficult to come back to a normal society when women are looked down on for speaking that way.

A male coworker says gently caress and no one cares; if I say gently caress I get dirty looks from everyone.

gently caress em if they can't take a joke

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sarah posted:

gently caress societal norms.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's professional work.

Most of the women I've worked with, especially at bars, in warehouses, and definitely in the weed industry, all swear to at least a moderate level. Not on par with me, but swinging in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I find people who were raised by sailors have no problem saying a cuss