Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
ABOUT THIS GAME
OrbusVR: Reborn is the first expansion to OrbusVR, the only MMORPG designed exclusively for room-scale virtual reality. It features everything you love about an MMO: a huge open world, over a hundred hours of quests following an intriguing story, interesting lore and characters, dragon pets, five-player group dungeons, world bosses, voice chat, player trading, fishing and crafting, and more! Plus you'll be part of a world brimming with thousands HUNDREDS of other players.

100+ hours of content, including new weekly missions in addition to Main Story quests
NEW dynamic scaling system, allowing veteran and new players to quest together
4 major five-person dungeons, each with unique enemies and bosses with interesting mechanics
Improved monster AI for more challenging combat
Revamped open world PvP and NEW Battlegrounds
In-game voice chat, dungeon finder, fellowships, private messaging, and other socialization features to keep you connected to the world
Dedicated collaborative development process with a hands-on development team that cares about your feedback
Dragon pets, cosmetic capes, achievements, and much more!

Classes
Ranger - Your standard Ranged class - shoots a bow does Robin Hood stuff.
Musketeer - Like above but with GUNS!
Warrior - Sword and Board Tank Guy
Runemage - This is actually a super cool class. You have to actually draw the runes in the air to activate the spells and cast them. If you draw it wrong - no spell gets cast and your tank dies. Oops.
Shaman - Just like from WoW an d Hearthstone combined. Have to use your totems effectively.
Paladin - Just like from D&D. You're a HEALER Tank guy.
Bard - A buffer, healer, DPS combo.... Just like the Red Mage from Final Fantasy basically.
Scoundrel - Twisted Fate from League of Legends somehow made it into this MMO. Plus you get a 6 shooter for extra coolness.

Buy Once, Play Forever
OrbusVR does not have a required monthly subscription fee! Once you've bought the game, you are able to play it as much as you'd like without paying us another dime. We don't have any "Pay 2 Win" in-app purchases or loot boxes, either. Ongoing revenue is provided via an in-game cosmetic with items such as mounts and cosmetic pets for sale. Our ongoing business strategy is to release yearly expansion packs that will cost an additional fee to unlock that new content, similar to other "Buy to Play" MMOs.

Combat
The combat of OrbusVR has been designed from the beginning to take advantage of room-scale VR. That means instead of just mashing buttons on an ability bar, you actually have to hone your physical skill to become more effective at combat.

For example, there's no tab-targetting for Rangers, who have to actually aim and hit targets with their bow. And for the Runemage, your ablity to cast spells is determined by how quickly and precisely you can draw the ancient symbols of runespeak. Whether you're looking for an up-close-and-personal, physically demanding melee role, or a more planned-out approach to combat via the musketeer's orbs, you'll find that combat in OrbusVR is unlike any other MMO you've ever played.

Relax
When you're ready to put down your sword for the day, you've got some great options available to kick back and relax. Fishing is a great way to pass the time and earn a little dram while you're at it. Just pull up a chair and see what fish are biting at Kingsport Lake.

When you finish with that, you can enjoy your own personal Player House, where you can craft potions and age them in your cellar, patiently waiting for the right moment to use (or sell) them. Finally, be sure to spend some time enjoying the company of your pet dragon, who's always interested in what treats you might have for them to munch on.
----------
The above was taken from Steam plus some edits to clarify some things. Orbus is currently offline as the Dev team is converting all existing servers over to the new Reborn expansion. April 23rd is when it's slated to launch. I've always been on the fence about purchasing this since it was an Early Access game. Now that it's "leaving" EA - I've decided to make the plunge into buying it and trying it out along with a few other goons such as Sarsapariller and Butt Discussion and maybe Eonwe? I dunno.

It goes without saying that you must own either an Oculus Rift or an HTC Vive but with all the new and generally more affordable VR Headset options coming out soon - Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift S and there is supposedly a "Steam VR" headset being revealed soon - more people will have more access to this VR MMO.

Discord for those that want to join in - https://discord.gg/ktPygRD

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadDave
Oct 23, 2010
I've had fun with this game so far, mostly as a Runemage. No joke on the 'super cool class' - if you don't learn the stupid runes, your poo poo doesn't work and you're the guy in the corner waving his hands around doing nothing. There are already some decent guides out there for the runemage class, I'm sure just as much is available for the others.

Is there a guild system yet? I didn't really bother to look. - fellowships?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Yes. There is a Fellowship/Guild system but I'm unsure how it works until I can get into the game.

Feel free to join the Discord and I'll make sure we're all on the same page for shenanigans.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I've always been really interested in this game, and might jump in once I check out some previews. Very interested to see the role dynamic in dungeons for groups.

The big problem I had with it back in the day, however, was the combat and the general clunkiness of it. I played as a warrior, and it was really difficult to tell when I was being damaged and how to avoid that. Part of it was due to being right up close to enemies: it was difficult to tell when AoEs and other telegraphs were happening when your face is clipping into a monster's crotch. The other bad part was you couldn't reactively block an enemy attack: you had to predicatively block, since once the enemy starts to do his attack motion, you had technically already taken damage. A lot of these things are acceptable in other MMOs due to the 3rd person camera and hotbar/queue-style combat, but really frustrating for something that wants to do real-time VR action combat.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
My head hurts just thinking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfHEeuIPnw

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It won't work, you can't release an mmo in TYOOL 2019 without letting players have a nice butt. This game doesn't even let you have any butt at all!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could play, but I started having issues with my Vive and def can't afford a new one.

Honestly one of the coolest MMOs I've ever played though

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Release is today at 12pm PST. Pre-load available at 11am.

I'm going to run a Shaman but I won't be online till about 8pm PST.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Woop release day for Reborn. I was hoping there would be some Goons playing this. We'll have to get a fellowship going or something. I really hope more people get on board, but it may be hard for some people to get past the jankiness of it.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
They've done a great job improving the game. Had a lot of fun the last 2 nights playing. I am also rocking the Shaman. I don't think it's a good solo class but if you got a friend to tank it works well. Lots of people playing again also which really makes it fun.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh hey there's a thread for this game now, good. I played it briefly before Reborn and thought it had potential but poor execution.

Now I've put in a couple hours post-relaunch and I think the execution has improved enormously. A brief review:

Character Creation and Fashion:
Apparently you can only have 2, which is bullshit, but whatever. The character editor allows for a surprisingly wide range of expression. I managed to make a character so viscerally horrifying that it actually startled a small child when he turned around and saw me behind him, so I consider that a complete success. Fashion is (so far) more of a loser- while you can select your appearance from your home wardrobe, so far I have only had two types of armor drop, and both are basic-bitch tier, so this is probably relegated to end game.

Feel of combat:
Uh, it's still pretty crap. I'm a runemage and I'm pretty good with spells, so I don't tend to die in normal combat. But it's not particularly interesting. The enemies look better than they did in V1, and the lag seems to largely be gone, but they still have terrible animations and it's next to impossible to tell what they're supposed to be doing. Having a stick-man spin around several feet from you, while a health bar attached to your right hand ticks down, is not viscerally thrilling.

However, all of this works pretty well in a social setting. Watching somebody tank the stick man while you lob fireballs over his head and maintain a shield on him is a pretty cool feeling. It seems pretty clear that the game is designed around this mass-combat feeling, with lots of elite mobs and group quests scattered just outside the initial starting area. Right now that feels great. If the pop thins out, though, it's going to be a real slog.

Quests and Flow:
Terrible. The quests are actually worse now than they were before, if that's possible. You have to earn rep with weekly vendors before they'll give you story missions, which are not laid out well at all. I like the new terrain style for the world, but it's much larger and seemingly much harder to navigate than the old version, and the quests are much lighter on directions. All in all I've hit level 6 and barely gone beyond the gate and the first couple dirt roads, doing weekly missions. Maybe the story draws you in as you go but right now this part is a thumbs-down from me.

Social Activities and Grouping:
Awesome. I love being able to just talk and have people passing by actually hear me. Grouping with nearby people is a breeze, and the mobs seem designed for group combat, as mentioned. There are group quests all over the drat place now, with big lights in the sky to indicate when they will start, and that flows pretty well for me. There are also a lot of social activities- fishing, and dragon racing, and dungeons, to name a few- that can keep you coming back to the people you meet early on. Definitely makes me wish I had the stamina to stand and play for more than an hour or two.

Feeling Of 'Presence':
The one metric by which VR games should be judged. Orbus is...pretty bad at this. The 2D interfaces all over the place, for your health bars and inventory and enemy attacks/damage and so on, really draw you out of the world. The actual mechanics of each classes' main attacks are all in-world, which is nice, and I do like that you have to wave to NPC's to interact with them. There's not much physical interaction between players either. Basically this is Everquest but your viewpoint is stuck inside your character's head. Short of the combat mechanics there is very little here that you wouldn't find directly in a 2000's era PC MMO, and that can be a bit jarring.

Final Verdict:
It's flawed but fun. It has one clever idea, which is basically "What if MMO but in VR?" and then everything else it does, you can find somebody else doing it much better in the MMO space. But... it's a really good idea. VR, for me, is where I want to be playing games and being social. This is the space I want my MMO's to grow in. I'm okay if this first one is... a bit poo poo, to be honest. If it's successful, even just enough to keep itself afloat, I think there will be more on the way.

Let's Play: Bridge Crew VR!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I've picked this up recently and have been having some fun. So far I'm not deep in it yet; just testing out all of the classes at the firing range to decide what works best for me. It still does remain a bit of a clunky game, but it has made some good moves since I last played it before Reborn.

Pros
*Changes have been made to make some classes less physically demanding. For example: Warriors only need to do their combo once initially, then you can do charged single swings to repeat the combo. No more constant flailing.
*Changes have been made to make some classes less monotonous. For example: Rangers have a cool mini-game where weak-point targets appear on the enemy you can hit for extra damage, and they get a damage buff for long range attacks. So you need to pay attention where you're aiming instead of just plinking away.
*Cartoony graphics aside, the level of immersion is pretty cool. You really get to learn the areas you're in by being there. Fun to create mental maps, whereas in other MMOs I'd just be staring at the radar

Cons
*Damage feedback is pretty bad; difficult to tell where/who/how you're being hit
*Still a bit buggy and clunky in general. For example, I kept hitting my shield with my sword as a warrior even though I was holding it far away from me. Relogged and it started working fine again.
*Runemage toes the line behind being complex and annoying (how in the world do you draw an icelance symbol consistently?)
*Tutorials still need a bit of work. For example, they don't teach you how to switch instruments as a bard very well (and also bard is pretty weird and difficult to tell if you're doing anything)

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

FutureCop posted:

Cons
*Damage feedback is pretty bad; difficult to tell where/who/how you're being hit
*Tutorials still need a bit of work. For example, they don't teach you how to switch instruments as a bard very well (and also bard is pretty weird and difficult to tell if you're doing anything)

These two are my biggest ones. I think there might just need to be a more present and visible health indicator to help some but also something indicating direction and magnitude of hits would go a long ways.

The tutorials are around but I feel like you have to hunt for a lot of stuff.

That, said the novelty of something like this in VR is pretty strong and I enjoy the idea of the different class mechanics if not always the difficulty of executing some of them. My brother is going to be getting into VR pretty soon and I'm really looking forward to messing around in this with him.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

If anyone is interested in OrbusVR, there's a sale going on right now: 25% off, dropping it down to $29.99. Lasts from the 16th to the 19th. Looks like it is to celebrate the imminent Oculus Quest release, since it is cross-buy.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Bit of a shameless plug, but if anyone is curious about how the game/classes play in OrbusVR: Reborn, I made a concise summary you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6B3wo9I838 Hopefully it helps!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Oh hey, I'm actually part of the Dev team (Community Manager) on this, if anyone has any questions!

We originally launched in early access last december but the last 6-8 months we've spent on Reborn to overhaul most of the game to build a more stable foundation for the game.

Like FutureCop mentioned it's going to be on the Oculus Quest at launch if anyone is thinking of getting one.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I wanna know when everyone's gonna ditch the dumb controllers and use hand tracking for everything.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

FutureCop posted:

Bit of a shameless plug, but if anyone is curious about how the game/classes play in OrbusVR: Reborn, I made a concise summary you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6B3wo9I838 Hopefully it helps!
Just to let you know, your vid made me pick it up on the Quest. Won't be able to play in the coming days, but looking forward to this weekend.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I'm going to be giving it a go with my brother this weekend likely. I played the old version some but I haven't done much in Reborn.

Sometimes it's fun to just people watch and listen to what people are talking about which is a totally new MMO experience for me. People have mostly been pretty nice though occasionally you'll get someone being obnoxious or someone's mom yelling at them while they're fighting monsters which is more funny than anything.

DeadDave
Oct 23, 2010

DisposableHero posted:

...someone's mom yelling at them while they're fighting monsters which is more funny than anything.

I was fishing on the first version and some kid's mom kept yelling at them to clean their room while they were viciously fishing next to me.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Anyone play this? I started last night and think I'm going to stick with it for a bit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I keep getting intrigued by this, but am on the fence.
How social is it? How in depth are the systems (combat, quests, raids,crafting)?
Is it big enough to lose yourself in for a good while?
Thanks for any info :)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I only played last night, so I'm definitely not an expert. The systems seem pretty basic, but solid. I do like how the combat tries to incorporate VR controls in different ways. This video shows it off a little. But it does seem old school MMOish and grindy. That could be a plus or minus depending on preference. I like the old school, wild west, "we're figuring out what we're doing as we go along" feel it has. No idea about crafting or raids.

Socially, I don't know about guilds or anything. But there seems to be a decent population. I ran around and did some public events and quests with some kids I just bumped into. The proximity voice chat is really cool. Late in the night when I was tired and a little drunk, I just sat down in the middle of town and watched people prep for dungeons. It was a pretty chill way to pass some time.

If you pull the trigger, let me know. I'd be down to start leveling a new class.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Potion crafting is wonderful, you toss crap into a pot and wait for it to turn the right color. No menus needed just lay out your ingredients and get ready to brew

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'd be interested in giving this game a shot tonight if anyone else is down!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Professor Wayne posted:

I only played last night, so I'm definitely not an expert. The systems seem pretty basic, but solid. I do like how the combat tries to incorporate VR controls in different ways. This video shows it off a little. But it does seem old school MMOish and grindy. That could be a plus or minus depending on preference. I like the old school, wild west, "we're figuring out what we're doing as we go along" feel it has. No idea about crafting or raids.

Socially, I don't know about guilds or anything. But there seems to be a decent population. I ran around and did some public events and quests with some kids I just bumped into. The proximity voice chat is really cool. Late in the night when I was tired and a little drunk, I just sat down in the middle of town and watched people prep for dungeons. It was a pretty chill way to pass some time.

If you pull the trigger, let me know. I'd be down to start leveling a new class.

Thanks for that, sounds cool, I think I'll pick it up when I get a bit more free time, I'll post here when that happens :)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

I'd be interested in giving this game a shot tonight if anyone else is down!

I can play a bit tonight. No idea how to connect with people on my Quest, though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I can play a bit tonight. No idea how to connect with people on my Quest, though.

Add me on steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/lljkkrion

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Cool. Anyone else who wants to play can add me: https://steamcommunity.com/id/lookitdisvideogame/

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I am still in the middle of setting up my vr space again since some furniture had to be moved, but I am kinda intrigued to at least give this game a shot. Are there different servers for US, EU and such players or is it all the same? Also, what is playing a healer like in this game? I really enjoyed the FFXIV style where you got decent time inbetween to toss out damage spells and not needing to spam heals at all times.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've been playing less than a week, so I'm no expert. But I have played the two healer classes, Musketeer and Bard, to levels 11 and 14.

Musketeer involves equipping four active orbs that represent spells. These will spawn and orbit your musket until you grab one and shove it down the barrel to fire at whatever you're trying to hurt or help. There are offensive and defensive orbs, so if you can mix and match your loadout to do a little damage if your party is good on heals. Between orbs, I was free to shoot whatever with regular bullets.

Bard similarly equips spells, but to different xylophone keys. Gameplay is literally Guitar Hero. When you hit a key at the right moment, you send out the passive version of that spell. You can set three spells that will "crescendo" after hitting it a certain amount of times. Hit a crescendoed orb to send out an active version of the spell (like a big heal that targets the party member with the lowest hp). Don't expect to do much damage. Soloing is honestly rough, but it's my favorite class so far. There is no penalty for hitting a key at the wrong time, so for me, dungeons are me following a group of strangers, going to town on a xylophone as fast as I can, and insisting it sounds just like Jessie's Girl.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been playing less than a week, so I'm no expert. But I have played the two healer classes, Musketeer and Bard, to levels 11 and 14.

Musketeer involves equipping four active orbs that represent spells. These will spawn and orbit your musket until you grab one and shove it down the barrel to fire at whatever you're trying to hurt or help. There are offensive and defensive orbs, so if you can mix and match your loadout to do a little damage if your party is good on heals. Between orbs, I was free to shoot whatever with regular bullets.

Bard similarly equips spells, but to different xylophone keys. Gameplay is literally Guitar Hero. When you hit a key at the right moment, you send out the passive version of that spell. You can set three spells that will "crescendo" after hitting it a certain amount of times. Hit a crescendoed orb to send out an active version of the spell (like a big heal that targets the party member with the lowest hp). Don't expect to do much damage. Soloing is honestly rough, but it's my favorite class so far. There is no penalty for hitting a key at the wrong time, so for me, dungeons are me following a group of strangers, going to town on a xylophone as fast as I can, and insisting it sounds just like Jessie's Girl.

Please tell me that you can gently caress up as the Musketeer and end up shooting your friend with an actual bullet when you intended to heal them.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I've played a bit of the game and it's pretty cool for the "first" VR MMO, even with the children screaming and people mouth-breathing in your ear as they run by. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the combat though. Does it get better? It seems like you never really unlock any skills but you just get your full kit immediately and in that case, every class just plays like a Wii game to me. Lots of waggle and no real mechanics except maybe the support classes and the Runemage. Maybe I'll just stop complaining and explore what the game has to offer outside of combat.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Some of the melee classes have more to them than you think if you don't read their entry in the journal, learned that the hard way when trying the paladin

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Played a bit of this game now, getting used to the combat. I have been trying Musketerr and... Warrior? The sword and board style class so far.Got a couple questions if anyone knows:

Musketeer: The journal mentioned shooting the turret with the lifewell orb to revive players. I tried throwing my turret near a random dead player I saw, picked up the orb that I THINK is the lifewell one (the one that is always there and is in front of your chest instead of orbiting the gun) and shot it at the turret but nothing seemed to happen.

Warrior: Getting used to the combos, but I have been having trouble using the Cleave/AoE combo reliably. I can use the one that adds extra damage pretty reliably, but it feels like only one out of 20 tries I can pull off the combo that is supposed to hit multiple targets. I am going off the journal for the directions, starting to wonder they either have the wrong directions in that or something. If anyone has any experience with it, lemme know if it's just finnicky or I am doing something wrong. Also, being able to charge to keep a combo effect going is nice but either I am bad with timing or after a certain amount of swings I lose the effect.

Overall, the game seems alright, though probably wouldn't play it if it wasn't for the novelty and the weird social aspect of locational voice chat. Probably will dive a bit deeper in it in the next few days.

(Also, I spotted at least two people talking to themselves like they were doing a Let's Play or stream. Next time I see one like that I should ask if I get part of that sweet youtube money if I am in the video :v:)

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I should play this more. I've realized though that one of the reasons I like MMOs is because it's my go-to type of game for zoning out and binging a tv series, and you can't really do that with Orbus. Well, VR in general really. I definitely find myself enjoying it more when I just pop on and mess around for half an hour to an hour instead of trying to go full poopsock into it.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Greader posted:

Played a bit of this game now, getting used to the combat. I have been trying Musketerr and... Warrior? The sword and board style class so far.Got a couple questions if anyone knows:

Musketeer: The journal mentioned shooting the turret with the lifewell orb to revive players. I tried throwing my turret near a random dead player I saw, picked up the orb that I THINK is the lifewell one (the one that is always there and is in front of your chest instead of orbiting the gun) and shot it at the turret but nothing seemed to happen.

Warrior: Getting used to the combos, but I have been having trouble using the Cleave/AoE combo reliably. I can use the one that adds extra damage pretty reliably, but it feels like only one out of 20 tries I can pull off the combo that is supposed to hit multiple targets. I am going off the journal for the directions, starting to wonder they either have the wrong directions in that or something. If anyone has any experience with it, lemme know if it's just finnicky or I am doing something wrong. Also, being able to charge to keep a combo effect going is nice but either I am bad with timing or after a certain amount of swings I lose the effect.

Overall, the game seems alright, though probably wouldn't play it if it wasn't for the novelty and the weird social aspect of locational voice chat. Probably will dive a bit deeper in it in the next few days.

(Also, I spotted at least two people talking to themselves like they were doing a Let's Play or stream. Next time I see one like that I should ask if I get part of that sweet youtube money if I am in the video :v:)

For the musketeer thing, you also need a reagent in your inventory so it's possible that was the issue.

Warrior combos should be accurate, I'd say watch out and make sure you aren't accidentally hitting your shield, or that your upwards swing is not registering as a side swing. That combo is not used very much though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

discord link is dead, do any goons still play this? is there a guild or something?

is the game worth the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

First 10 levels are free to try. I have been burned out in VR in general lately so I haven't been on in awhile