Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know what you're thinking. "Wasn't World War Z a contemplative series of short stories that don't really fit with run and gun shooting"? That's only if you were some sort of nerd and read the book! This game is based off the Brad Pitt movie based off the book, in a three way bastardization worthy of Will Smith's I, Robot!

World War Z is a zombie horde shooter that's a little bit of Killing Floor, a little bit of The Division, and entire limbs and organs of Left 4 Dead. Pick out the basic class that you like, send them through short levels, level up their skills and guns, move on to four higher levels of difficulty. In an increasingly common twist, the entire game is in third person, allowing you to get some good swings in with your knife between reloads.

IS THIS JUST LEFT 4 DEAD THIRD PERSON MODE?

No, there's a lot less humor now, since everyone is sad. But the general thrust of the game remains the same. Move from place to place, raiding ammo and weapon caches as you go, until you hit a wall and have to hold out against a swarm. You can quietly go through the halls like L4D to an extent, but it diverges in that it's more action oriented. Melee weapons are still one hit kill, except everyone gets one now. You can go down a certain number of times without fully dying until you get one of the limited health packs.

The biggest difference is the Killing Floor-esque class system. Each class gets a starting kit (medic starts with an SMG, first aid pack, etc) as well as certain perks that unlock with experience. If you've seen the weapons perk selection IU from Destiny, that is this. One pick per column.

SPECIAL ZEDS THEY RIPPED OFF

- Hazmat: A mix of the Boomer and Spitter, with a larger area of effect. Will release gas from inside their suit if said suit is punctured or if they suicide near you. Not entirely clear on how the suit got filled with gas.

- Bull: It's a Charger. It even slams you down with one fist like Charger. Noticeable by being the size of a small car and decked out in SWAT gear. Shoot them in the back!

- Hunter: I can't remember the in-game name for this but he's a loving hunter.

- Screamer: A special zed with a megaphone implanted in him for...reasons. Screams to attract more zeds.

IS IT GOOD?

It's alright. They did the right thing of upping the number of zeds rather than making them more tankey, which makes horde swarms cool and exciting. Zeds break apart when shot, and there are a lot of small details like how you can kill zeds on the bottom of a zombie pyramid to make the whole thing fall over. I also like how the matches allow you to quit out and rejoin between maps, since a L4D match can be kind of an investment. World War Z won't blow your mind if you are new to the genre, but it's definitely a fun little timesink.

It's also only $35.

Oh and there is a bog standard multiplayer shooter game in there, but who cares.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So wait are the servers and matchmaking working or is that only a problem on PS4?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The United States posted:

So wait are the servers and matchmaking working or is that only a problem on PS4?

I haven't had any issues on Xbox, so maybe just for PS4? I tend to have good luck with connections though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This seems fun and cool but I have been tricked before, what's the catch?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

jokes posted:

This seems fun and cool but I have been tricked before, what's the catch?

It's all in your personal taste. I haven't gone long enough to say if the game becomes unbalanced at higher difficulty levels, but mowing down hordes of zeds remains satisfying.

There are a lot of people twitch streaming, give it a look

VVV God dammit

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 17, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the movie starred Brad Pitt

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This is tempting to get with friends since its only $34.99. My friends and I played the hell out of the original on PC when it came out. How many levels are there? I just wished Valve made L4D3 already.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rabid Snake posted:

This is tempting to get with friends since its only $34.99. My friends and I played the hell out of the original on PC when it came out. How many levels are there? I just wished Valve made L4D3 already.

Three in New York, three in Jerusalem, Three in Russia, Two in Tokyo. IMO the New York and Tokyo ones are the best, I'm a bit over shootouts in the Middle East and there are parts of Russia that drag a bit.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
It's been crashing at launch (PC) for me & fair number of other people and it took them like 9 hours for someone to say something on Twitter or their forums that there was an issue. One of their reps actually officially stated "we are not receiving any issues reported from PC users" while my ticket and others were up on their forums for like hours.

Last post was 13 hours ago where they said "We are getting crash reports and team was able to investigate some of them. Hotfix is in the oven and it should resolve potential crashes at launch." in a random thread over there.

I mean TBH I hope it's good and all but the fact that I to this point haven't gotten a single personal or automated response from anyone over there about my issues is pretty gross at this point when Epic store told me to refer to the Focus forums for tech support when I put in a tech support ticket.

In my opinion if you're playing on a PC, I would wait for said patch to see if it actually fixes any big issues so you don't get a non-functional game for a few days or weeks.

EDIT: And their automated crash ticket submitter launched broken too.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And here I was expecting an RTS.