Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

[8:30 PM] SSSS.gusman: s3 thread would be cool
[8:30 PM] SSSS.gusman: for us to post pics of chuuya and dazai standing next to each other

S1+S2 thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

how long until they drop the title again, they did it like 6 times in s2

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought somebody said it in the first episode but I could be misremembering because I watched the entirety of s2 in two days then jumped straight into s3e1 so it's all kinda running together

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Erg quote in the OP got me to go look where it was in Discord, and how dare he quote me to lol at me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the video game scene was amazing :3:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
After finding out that Dead Apple is on Crunchyroll, I watched it before starting Season 3. Is it just me, or do a lot of things in the movie not make very much sense? (A quick Google search confirms that it's not just me.) I think half the problem is trying to reenact the Unknown Zanpakuto Tales storyline in a setting that never actually explained what its superpowers are, and the other half is trying to hype up Dazai and Dostoevsky without breaking continuity by having them actually do anything.

• So the movie villain's power is a fog that traps Gifted in a separate dimension, separates their Gifts from them in the form of a ghost copy of the user, and when the Gift kills the user, it turns into a crystal, which lets the villain create a bigger fog somehow. That's already several abilities in one, but also, when enough Gift crystals gather together, they turn into a dragon, which is not part of the villain's Gift but just what Gifts do when a lot of them gather together. (Note that while I'm using the terms Gifts and Gifted because that's what the subtitles use, I'm pretty sure that the original Japanese calls them "abilities" without any special term - another example of the series never really trying to explain what Gifts are.)
  • The movie villain wants Atsushi's Gift because it (rather than Dazai's Gift, as one might expect) is somehow the antithesis of Gifts in general. (This is building on an established plot point that never made much sense to begin with, where the villains are all somehow confident that the power to turn into a tiger is somehow the key to finding a reality-rewriting book.)
  • The movie villain was killed by Atsushi but came back somehow. Supplementary materials confirm that this isn't even part of the villain's power, it just happened for some other reason. Also Atsushi repressed the memory of killing the guy, I think?
  • At the beginning of the movie, Dazai apparently gets arrested, but when we see him again he's free and hanging out with the movie villain and Dostoevsky with no explanation.
  • What was Dazai even trying to do, exactly?
  • For that matter, what was Dostoevsky trying to do?

It's possible that some of these things are explained in the Fifteen LN, which I haven't read and the current arc of Season 3 is adapting, and others might have already had explanations that I missed. But it's also possible that there were even more confusing things in Dead Apple that I forgot.

Edit: OK, here's an attempt at a grand unified theory of the BSG setting: Gifts are the result of a fight between a dragon god and a tiger god, which ended with the dragon god shattering into countless pieces and most of the tiger god being sealed in a book. The fragments of the dragon god, as well as the fragment of the tiger god that didn't get sealed, attached themselves to humans with compatible personalities starting around the late 18th century or so. As a result of people getting superpowers, the course of history changed; the "real" Atsushi Nakajima, F. Scott Fitzgerald, etc. were never born, World War II didn't happen until 1990 or so, and Japan never really stopped being a police state.

Edit 2: Note that this still leaves Dazai's role in the movie (and how No Longer Human fits into the origin of Gifts, for that matter) unexplained. Oh well.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 21, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i was coming here to post that lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
SSSS.gusman: s3 thread would be cool
SSSS.gusman: for us to post pics of chuuya and dazai standing next to each other holding hands

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
they're married now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was kinda hoping there would be more to this episode tbh; watching Fyodor play with some extras was kinda boring.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe the season is over, and also underwhelming

i'm certain there will be more but this just kinda petered out and didn't have much of a climax

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The final ep was really good and elevated my opinion of the season because I’m a sucker for obvious parallels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bungo chungus.