Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

blue squares posted:

gently caress off

Ha, haven't watched the episode yet but this is certainly encouraging

Edit: Just watched it, yeah that's some bullshit

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 10, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

blue squares posted:

gently caress off

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I won't be able to watch the episode until tomorrow morning but between this and Reddit going apeshit about the beard bros and the boyfriends, it sounds like some poo poo has gone down. I'm a little hesitant to watch it, not going to lie.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kinda wondering if I even want to watch the finale tbh

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wow, it wasn’t great that the final challenge came down to the alliance. You just knew the producers tried to change the leg to shake it up with the ‘city sprint.’

The final comments from Deangelo weren’t great. Talking about paying for the trip himself and not enjoying anything :( The race would be a dream come true for so many people. (Myself included) But hopefully it was only a passing moment.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I finally got a chance to watch yesterday's episode. I don't get everyone freaking out about how the alliance killed the season (though that was mostly Reddit). Like yea, it's not great TV for an alliance to form, but it makes sense as a player. Gary and Deangelo were undeniably a strong physical team so you'd want to knock them out since the finale often comes down to a footrace. I don't think focusing them out was a bad decision at all. Deangelo has been pretty negative the past few episodes too, so I was not sad to see him go. He started out as one of my favorites, but the dude does not take setbacks well and just kept getting himself more and more upset.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

My least favourite season. The boyfriends are extremely grating and the alliance totally sucks any tension out of the season. The challenges are also way too easy, they could learn a thing or two from TAR Canada.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nooooooooooo

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I haven't seen the episode or any spoilers yet, but from that reaction I guess the boyfriends won?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

I haven't seen the episode or any spoilers yet, but from that reaction I guess the boyfriends won?

Why would you read the thread before seeing the episode? Unless you just don’t care

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

blue squares posted:

Why would you read the thread before seeing the episode? Unless you just don’t care

Spoilers for TAR don't really bother me much. It's not a story driven narrative or anything, and for me the enjoyment is in the journey. So I can know that Team X will win the leg, but I still like watching teams Y and Z perform even if I know they're going to lose.

And with my current work schedule I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow afternoon anyway, so I would probably get spoiled anyway just browsing Reddit. It's no biggie.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I haven't watched the episode yet either, but sometimes I check the thread beforehand if I feel like I'm not going to like the result just so I can prepare myself for disappointment.

Like now!

Edit: Just finished it. Very meh on the winners, but it's hard to argue that they didn't deserve it (though I'd say they contributed the least of any team to the Final 3 alliance). Was rooting for Hung and Chee but alas. Silver lining was my least favorite team falling behind early and never really being in it after that.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 17, 2020

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
What was with that leg design? Every task after the baby seemed to take a fixed amount of time, so they basically guaranteed whichever team found the baby first would win the race and not even see the other teams for the rest of the leg. They should have swapped the globe puzzle this week with the music puzzle last week. Or maybe even moved the baby task to the end of this leg (although that would have probably made it more obvious how luck-based the last leg was).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mancalamania posted:

What was with that leg design? Every task after the baby seemed to take a fixed amount of time, so they basically guaranteed whichever team found the baby first would win the race and not even see the other teams for the rest of the leg. They should have swapped the globe puzzle this week with the music puzzle last week. Or maybe even moved the baby task to the end of this leg (although that would have probably made it more obvious how luck-based the last leg was).

yeah I just watched and it was incredibly anti-climactic, ended up doing a lot of skipping ahead

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It was one of the worst final legs I can remember, honestly. It was over once they found the cake baby, with no opportunities to pass after that. And so boring that they had to use "Will has eaten too many donuts" as their dramatic commercial stinger.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I finally caught the episode and man I want some beignet's now. Those things are legit delicious. That king cake looked like walmart brand stuff though. Also it cracks me up because I'm really familiar with NOLA and that entire leg took place within like 5 square miles.

I didn't realize it until I saw someone on Reddit make the comment either, but this leg is going to be the last one for at least a couple years because of Covid. I honestly am wondering if CBS will pick the show back up once it's safe to travel again since the show has not been doing great with ratings for a while now. I hope it doesn't get canceled because I used to watch the show every week with my dad before he died, and now it's kind of a way for me to remember him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
TAR has always been a bit of a cult classic since what, the mid-teens? They'll probably keep churning them out as long as the small but dedicated fan-base stays, though they'd need to justify it now considering the pandemic.

Admittedly, there aren't a lot of seasons in the last ten seasons or so that I've considered a 'really good, will watch again'. I did miss the bunch of 'gimmick' seasons they were doing for a while, so the last season I really remember fondly was S21, or maybe S25 just because of how out of nowhere the winner came from.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I guess I'm in the minority in liking this season and how it ended :) It was interesting seeing an alliance really work on TAR, especially with one so large initially. I imagine it was edited to play it up more, though. The finale was a little boring but there's been blow-outs like that before. The boyfriends just happened to do really well at each task. I do hate that they always put a major height challenge in the finale, it's time consuming and it never changes the outcome; by the finale, no one is going to spend a lot of time freaking out about the height of the task.

For those that don't like the boyfriends, you can at least delight in them not being able to tell anyone about their engagement happening for over 2 years because of the delay in airing the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I also liked this season. I think the alliance may have bothered me more if it didn’t consist of all the teams I liked the best anyway. The only change I would have made would have been the sisters for the football players.