Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Background: I've been following the web presence of a small political/health related initiative. Over the years they've made a website full of resources and links to news about the topic. This website is supported by a twitter account, facebook page and youtube channel.

The only remaining admin wants to throw in the towel and thinks it best to shut down everything at the end of this week. Including the stuff hosted for free on twitter, facebook and youtube. The remaining admin seems tech-illiterate. I've attempted to contact this admin but they're not replying. I think this is a bad idea. I understand the website hosting and DNS will cost money to keep aloft, but FB, twitter and youtube can stay, those cost nothing.

My question: I want to make a backup of the website, facebook, twitter? For youtube I can use youtube-dl, but that only saves the videos and not the descriptions and comment threads below it. That is probably enough, most videos have comments disabled.

What is the best way to go about doing this, since I only have anonymous access like any other visitor? On Friday it'll all be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The facebook group is already gone. disregard it was the wrong link

The youtube channel has been backed up. youtube-dl supports saving of metadata and descriptions in a json so all this data is now safe too.

E: I got some help from other activists. The only data not backed up at this point is the twitter and facebook. Basic web crawlers can't really handle the javascript on those sites.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 22, 2019

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
You can retrieve tweets using twitter's search api, but going back more then 7 days/ a month is pricey.
I believe you can do the same with facebook's graph api, but I don't have any experience with it to know for sure.
The serious effort option would be to use selenium, but I'd imagine you are likely to get blocked after some time.

Have you tried seeing if an admin is willing to simply download their profile data from the respective sites and hand it over?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Thanks for your reply. It seems the FB and Twitter have been deleted already. What a shitshow :(

Lots of people implored the admin to leave it or hand it over to someone willing. Too late now.