Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TempestCraft
Apr 20, 2019
Hello!

Small introduction, as a long time SA lurker, think like the first Photoshop friday days, the original forum trolling, when Eatpoo Art forum was still a thing (Not something awful, just OG internet) I used to draw and do digital art, I ended up going to art school and discovering bladesmithing. And now its been 10 years doing that, Fulbright scholar, made a cannon, now coming up on my MFA thesis in Blacksmithing, I've been searching for ways to better broaden my audience. So, kinda randomly on here the other day and remembered the forum here and that it had an art section, blah, blah, blah, registered, here we are. I couldn't find anything about self-promotion in the rules so here we go! These are the web versions of the images, I also couldn't find an image size restriction so I hope these are alright.

Thanks for looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

drat those are right pretty. I was a bench jeweler for several years and they had some "luxury knives" as men's accessories. Didn't come close to this though imo. Fantastic work.

Lots Of Pain
Apr 22, 2019
That is some really nice work.

If you want to broaden your audience there are lots of people on YouTube doing work like this and making sales and a living off it.

The biggest I have found is Alec Steel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWizIdwZdmr43zfxlCktmNw

He has done a fair few collections in the past, so it might be worth getting in touch with him.

I wish I had the time and skill to make blades like that

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I quite like #2 and #4, counting from the left, particularly the handle on #2. Nice work!

Have you done any puukkos?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
those are pretty incredible tbh, it would be an honour to be slain with one

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
First - I'll be a dick: an MFA in Bladesmithing?

Second - I'll be honest: These are nice, but it's such a weird niche market that you need to find a sub-niche. Several of those blades look damascus-esque. Maybe they are? That seems pretty standard these days, which is fine.Your handles though - those hatchet handles are friggin amazing. Moreso than some of the others, although I do dig the beveled forms of the first and last pics. So, speaking of niches, I think your handles may be a better place to explore and differentiate from the pack versus a blade with designs or, to go a Hildebrandt route, funky blade shape. Not to say you can't still make intricate patterns in the blades themselves, but man, I really dig those hatchet handles, and if you intermixed those with the beveled shapes of the others? Whoa!(which isn't necessarily bladesmithing so maybe shift your MFA to WoodHandleSmithing? [there I am being a dick again])

Third - really nice work.

TempestCraft
Apr 20, 2019

Ferrule posted:

First - I'll be a dick: an MFA in Bladesmithing?

Second - I'll be honest: These are nice, but it's such a weird niche market that you need to find a sub-niche. Several of those blades look damascus-esque. Maybe they are? That seems pretty standard these days, which is fine.Your handles though - those hatchet handles are friggin amazing. Moreso than some of the others, although I do dig the beveled forms of the first and last pics. So, speaking of niches, I think your handles may be a better place to explore and differentiate from the pack versus a blade with designs or, to go a Hildebrandt route, funky blade shape. Not to say you can't still make intricate patterns in the blades themselves, but man, I really dig those hatchet handles, and if you intermixed those with the beveled shapes of the others? Whoa!(which isn't necessarily bladesmithing so maybe shift your MFA to WoodHandleSmithing? [there I am being a dick again])

Third - really nice work.

Thanks everyone!

The Art knife market is certainly niche, but a part of that is finding collectors who didn't even know they wanted to buy knives, new money tech kids and all that, instead of ancient wasp dudes, which is what I've been dealing with, not in a bad way but it couldnt hurt to spread the tendrils out into new or weird places (like here) I've been doing well on Reddit and Instagram.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nankeen posted:

those are pretty incredible tbh, it would be an honour to be slain with one

you will be slain by the bowmen of the emperor young lady and that's final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

these are knives that I would not call someone a dork for hanging on their wall, nice work