Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
This is pretty low effort I know but basically Valve is being sued in Washington state by a Native American tribe because they claim Valve is running or at least allowing illegal gambling through their servers, it looks like they might have shot themselves in the foot because part of the case is based on Valve’s arbitration where they basically told kids they couldn’t get money back on payments to do with CS:GO skins because they engaged in underage gambling.

https://youtu.be/ks24Fr_NkFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm doubting anything serious comes of this. Maybe online gambling sites will be hunted by Valve, but in some ways some skin selling sites already were at various points and the they just used different ips and steam bots to circumvent it.

They aren't claiming loot boxes are gambling. They are trying to claim the skins themselves are chips. Their entire case hinges on valve not banning illegal gambling sites through openid, but Valve can prove that they have taken measures to make online gambling more difficult. Valve also has no affiliation with these sites and this lawsuit itself states it clearly. They profit from skins being bought and sold, but there's a secondary market for skins that's completely independent of gambling. And Valve can prove that trivially because there were skins worth a hundred or more dollars before gambling was involved. Valve also has other titles with similar mechanisms that aren't, or at least weren't, abused by illegal gambling sites.

Also, the arbitration part makes little sense unless they can tie Valve directly to those sites. But the claim itself claims they can't. To make this claim even worse, valve makes $0 when skins are traded to/from people using the gambling sites and the lawsuit makes no mention of this and instead tries to act like Valve gets 15% of the skin's value every time it is traded between parties. Which is false.

I wish this was trying to bury loot boxes. Which are predatory and a vehicle for gambling. Instead, it's trying to attack digital items having value in a secondary market and the creator of said items for allowing them to be sold by people who purchased them.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 24, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope they win the rights to half life