Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Hoping someone with more real world network experience than myself can help with this, we have recently just moved into a new home which is an older property which needs some work (UK). We are looking to have some rewiring done in the next few weeks on the whole property, and as such I thought it would be a perfect time and opportunity to run some network cabling throughout (the electricians say this is a good idea and if I provide my cabling they will do it at the same time for the same price).

However, it is at this point my ignorance shines through. I was only aware of Cat5/5e/6 and in trying to research have seen 6a/7 and 8. I am aware that most of the stuff in my house is currently capped at 1Gbps adapters but I didn't realise newer standards were out/on their way. I know Cat7/8 will cost more but here is my query. We are aiming to be in this property for at least a decade so I'm unsure of what cabling to opt for. I was assuming 6a would be more than enough, although I know 7 uses different ends/plugs than the old RJ-45 (then Cat8 has the option for both?) but thinking of future proofing is it worth plunking out for cat7 or 8 yet?

The change in cable termination in Cat7 is a pain too, but assuming that will either be the new standard (or go away as 8 does RJ-45 too).

I'm really not traditionally a huge networking guy, its always been handled for me really, so I understand roughly how the cabling work will be done and the electricians will run that through with me but I'm not sure what cabling would be the smartest choice.

I'll be honest I didn't look up cost of Cat8 at all either, but I did look at Cat6a and a few sites that did 7 over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Cat 5E and above is fine for 1GB LAN, which is probably what your devices are using.

The E is important on Cat 5, though. Standard Cat 5 (without the E) shouldn't really be getting used any more, even in a home environment.

You're better off getting CAT 6 because it is no thicker than 5E (unless you buy the extra shielded stuff, which is overkill in the home) and it probably won't cost much more than Cat 5E.

Running 1Gig LAN cables in the home is plenty fast enough for streaming HD video around the house and sending files from A to B unless you're an abolute power-user ledge-lord, where you need to start looking at spending money on 10 Gig ethernet and suitable cabling.

edit: Just read your post properly. You should be looking at putting cabling in that will handle 10 Gig ethernet if you're staying there for 10 years+

I'm probably moving later this year and all of my stuff is 1 gig ethernet. I am almost certain that in 3 or 4 years from now that I'll have upgraded switches and I'll also be on 10 Gig by then.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 26, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull Cat6 now because you have no way of knowing what’s going to happen in the future. If you really want something 10Gbps capable then pull Cat6A but the extra costs in terms of the stuff that goes on the end is pretty significant.

The only way you can genuinely get something that’s future proof is to put flexible conduit into the walls so you can pull through a new type of cable/fibre when the time comes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If the walls are open put in conduit. If not cat6 should be good for 10gbps

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thanks Ants posted:

Pull Cat6 now because you have no way of knowing what’s going to happen in the future. If you really want something 10Gbps capable then pull Cat6A but the extra costs in terms of the stuff that goes on the end is pretty significant.

The only way you can genuinely get something that’s future proof is to put flexible conduit into the walls so you can pull through a new type of cable/fibre when the time comes.

6a is only critical if you're pushing the 100m limit for a 10gig link. If there's a substantial cost difference I would stick with 6 for a residential install. If you have the option, have the electricians run stuff through flex conduit, makes any upgrades in the future a lot easier since you can just tape the new cable to the end of the old and pull it through.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
SFP+

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It's also worth working out your requirements with respect to how and where your machines are gonna be used.

I'm in a single level flat right now, which is not small but spacious enough.

I have 2x UniFi AP's for WiFi which is overkill for the area that I inhabit. But I plan on moving into a 2 storey house near the end of this year. I currently have 1 UniFi switch hooked up to my router/modem, which is in my home server cabinet. Then I have ethernet discreetly running to my gaming PC and 2x servers which do all my video streaming/NAS duties. Everything that isn't a server is just connected via WiFi.

When I move I plan to buy another UniFi switch so that I have two decent UniFi switches. One will be upstairs and one downstairs. My cable internet will come in via the ground floor, into my modem>router>switch.

The only extra cabling installation I will need is between the upstairs switch and the downstairs switch. Each switch will have a UniFi AP connected to serve its level of the house. So WiFi throughout the house is taken care of. Servers (two, if I don't go mad and buy any more) will be unseen in a cupboard upstairs and served directly by the upstairs switch.

So the only dirty work I should need to do, unless I've overlooked something, is to drill a hole near the switch downstairs, drill a hole near the switch upstairs and run two or three lengths of CAT6 up through the walls between the two switches. I'll probably run them as a 2 cable LAGG so that I have 2Gbps combined throughput from upstairs to downstairs.

Pretty simple way to serve a two-storey house with reliable internet everywhere.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

QSFP+ :colbert:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The correct answer is smurf tube and conduit junctions, and risers/cable trays in the attic or crawlspace. Run what you think you want, and when you decide that the siren song of gently used 10gbe SFP+ NICs are cheap enough, do dedicated fiber runs.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.fs.com/au/products/13414.html

it's free bandwidth!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

QSFP28

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

CDFP

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OP, what would be the max cable run length? Cat6 is good for 10GbE if you can stay under 55 meters.

10 GbE for the consumer has been almost happening for a decade now, but there's some indication that 2.5GbE and 5GbE will be an affordable middle ground.

If you really want to future proof, run conduit, if not, then Cat6A.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I watched a Craft Computing video the other day (possibly one for the YouTube Tech Idiots thread: although I like the Craft Computing guy's pace and delivery) and he said he'd gotten hold of a 2-port 10Gb card for $40, so I don't know if it will be worthy of having a 2.5Gb or 5Gb affordable middle-ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

apropos man posted:

I watched a Craft Computing video the other day (possibly one for the YouTube Tech Idiots thread: although I like the Craft Computing guy's pace and delivery) and he said he'd gotten hold of a 2-port 10Gb card for $40, so I don't know if it will be worthy of having a 2.5Gb or 5Gb affordable middle-ground.

The benefit of the middle-ground is quite simply that it can be run over our regular ol' Cat5e installations, which comprise an enormous number of installations across the world, but of course that doesn't really matter when you're doing a new install