Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I swear to god, that old Briggs classic is unstoppable.

Threw it underneath my patio back in Sept. Mostly sheltered, but totally exposed to our wild weather swings and snow events. Haven't so much as looked at it since then.

Last weekend, decide I want to start the yard work. Power-rake and then use the lawnmower to suck up the clippings.

Pull it out, fill it with gas. 3x primer pumps, pull.

Starts right up, 100%. No hesitation, no coughing, nothing. Just like I stopped it 5 minutes earlier.

loving Honda Easystart has nothing on this old beast. It has my vote for apocalyptic ready power-plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It worked because presumably you stored it properly. Draining gas/using appropriate treatment or synthetic fuel makes all the difference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nah, that would require thinking ahead. I just chucked it under the patio with still with about 1/4 tank of the finest ethanol heavy 87 octane. When I put it there I didn't know if it would be the last of the season.

But I did top it up with some fresh (as in, from a Jerry can, still probably almost a year old of the same ethanol fuel).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

^^^ was going to say starting fluid, or just squirt some gas right in the carb.

Same instructions otherwise.

If vise grip garage has taught me nothing else, you can start just about anything by squirting two tablespoons of premixed 2 stroke fuel directly into the intake

Edit: given you've resolved air and spark issues

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 26, 2024

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That's probably it, but I'd say run it on starting fluid first. If it runs on that but dies then you know you have a carb issue. It may just be fouled and sometimes running on ether is enough to clear it out and it will keep running on gas.

Unfortunately, still can't get it to start after cleaning out the carb. I disassembled it, briefly lost and then found the needle, thoroughly cleaned everything, and reassembled. I also pulled the spark plug, which looked pretty fouled up. Might be oil?

Here's a short video of cranking it over and the white smoke coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vrMgVaht0

It'll keep cranking like this, but it'll never "catch" and just keep going. Tried different choke positions and verified the choke is moving freely and correctly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The plug looks too bad to fire other than maybe on ether. Clean it iff with some 80/120 grit sandpaper or replace it. Also, that smoke/vapor coming back through the carb is an indication it's flooded so just walk away for a few hours before trying again.

If I was in this situation I'd try again in the mornign with a new plug and give it a couple cranks. If it didn't immediately start I'd give it a good 2-4 second shot of starting fluid and then try again and let it crank for a good 10-20 seconds to see what happens.

After that we get into actual diagnostics......

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I did thoroughly clean the plug with carb cleaner and lightly sanded it before putting it back in and filming that video, if that makes a difference.

That's almost definitely the original plug so throwing a new one in shouldn't hurt. I'll have to pick up some starting fluid as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I did thoroughly clean the plug with carb cleaner and lightly sanded it before putting it back in and filming that video, if that makes a difference.

It does. It makes me think "definitely get a new plug" so you aren't spinning your wheels.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Unfortunately, having about the same result with a new plug and ~3 seconds of starting fluid sprayed into the carb. The battery is also starting to struggle at cranking it much beyond what's in the video below. I do have it on a trickle charger, but it is an older battery that's taking a beating trying to get this thing to start. Tried at a few different choke positions, though previously it'd fire right up on full choke in 2-3 seconds. This throttle body doesn't have much control between full and no choke, fwiw.

You can start to see more whispy smoke coming out of the intake as the video goes on, and my second shorter try right after this had even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JGCrHtUOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not spinning fast enough to start. It's loading up with fuel and flooding.

You need to charge or replace the battery.