Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cold steel 1 is my fav individual game but it cliffhangers you into 2 which is a lot messier, and then 3&4 arent out in english yet. sky trilogy is all good and complete so start there unless you specifically want something more 'modern'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ka0 posted:

I've heard that Trails on the Sky > Trails of cold steel, confirm/deny please
Both are great apparently

There's a couple elements that make Trails in the Sky extremely lovable but in most ways that matter Cold Steel is way better. It's clearly the result of devs with way more experience. Both are episodic but CD does a better job of making each episode unique, and layering character development in each episode so things feel less drawn out. The most unique element of the series is the town writing, and in CS1 they have a lot of stories layered in one location that you keep going back to. Combat is way less fiddly with more meaninglful decisions ( tho still easy)

Both are worth playing and if you're gonna play both then yea play Sky first, but if it drags too much it's cool to skip to CS.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Thanks, $20 each on steam that's an easy buy for trails in the sky then.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Octopath Traveler for PC is on sale..... should I get it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's good. I've been working through a chapter or so at night before bed on my Switch for weeks... extremely comfy gaming.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Octopath freaking pwns

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a good game if you can accept the dissonance of the characters not existing in each other's stories narratively

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

it's a good game if you can accept the dissonance of the characters not existing in each other's stories narratively

I don’t know what any of that means so I think I’m ok

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I don’t know what any of that means so I think I’m ok

like you have 8 party members but only the person whose story is active appears in cutscenes, this was a dealbreaker for a lot of people

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

like you have 8 party members but only the person whose story is active appears in cutscenes, this was a dealbreaker for a lot of people

thats luike 90% of games

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I now have 73 hours into octopath. all 8 characters are around 67 and I keep getting my rear end whooped by the secret end boss

only my second try after loving around with my parties, but tomorrow I think I can pull it off :D

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

thats luike 90% of games
nah it's really weird, I don't think I've ever seen such a distracting example of it. The character stories don't make any sense for there being a party, I actually wonder if there was a change in development at some point where there was more solo character stuff going on mechanically. Like, every other chapter has a scene where a bad guy knocks the character out or corners them and goes "you're all alone and at my mercy" and they're... not. The thief's story is entirely about how he Works Alone and gradually learns to trust someone he works with in the story scenes even though having allies just slows him down, and the whole time he's doing this with seven other people lol

It's not a big deal once you get used to it but it's very bizarre

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
W00t

https://twitter.com/nichegamer/status/1146463678260232192?s=21

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Are the first two games connected storywise at all?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

if it's not called three no kuni i'm not interested

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

no

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hopefully they have a bigger budget for this one so that it has more than 5 enemy types and the cutscenes are longer than 2 seconds

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

Not really. The premise of the setting is that there are two worlds, one very similar to ours and one fantasy world, and they’re metaphysically linked so that events in one world affect the other although for the most part they’re not really aware of each other. This also applies to the people, each person has a “soulmate” in the other world and things that happen to someone can also affect their soulmate in the other realm. These play a big role in 1 but a smaller one in 2 and they just kind of gloss over explaining it so it might be a little weird if you didn’t know that going into 2.

Otherwise, there’s hardly anything connecting the two games. Only one city that was in 1 returns in 2, everything else in 2 is entirely original.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

hopefully they have a bigger budget for this one so that it has more than 5 enemy types and the cutscenes are longer than 2 seconds

I liked the cutscenes but yeah the monster variety was pretty bad. It would have been bad even on its own but it was especially disappointing when looking at the sheer number of different monsters in the first game.

All the bosses were cool though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'll play NNK3 but I hope it's better than 2. Inject 1000% more other wordly Ghibli magical feels into an upgraded battle system from the sequel please.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The battle systems are a bit of a mess in both imo but they are great games.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'll play NNK3 but I hope it's better than 2. Inject 1000% more other wordly Ghibli magical feels into an upgraded battle system from the sequel please.

1 is so much more charming and alive than 2 entirely due to the amount that ghibli was involved. it also looks far better

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

2 had really great character writing. Even minor townsfolk NPCs were really likable and charming. But yeah 1 had the edge over 2 in every other aspect of charm.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

The battle systems are a bit of a mess in both imo but they are great games.

Ya, I understand complaints with both systems but I don't think either were game breakingly bad. 1 especially got trashed for this but I thought it was totally fine. The main problem with the sequel is there was no point at all to the weapon swap mechanic, especially when you can set it to swap automatically for you

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's good. I've been working through a chapter or so at night before bed on my Switch for weeks... extremely comfy gaming.

very much same. the combat is very satisfying with the vulnerability system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I watched someone play NNK2 and it looked like Dark Cloud combat is that basically correct