Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

What else are they going to do? If all you know is real estate, why not keep doing it?

As an economist this offends me greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MiddleOne posted:

As an economist this offends me greatly.

Look at it this way. There's a chance this all blows over (instead of up) In that case they stand to make some good profit. Especially if the competition is stopped by something as simple as nuclear doom.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That real estate developer has a bigger motivation to see this all end happily than any of the main characters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They either die or they become rich. I don't see any downside to speculation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cojawfee posted:

They either die or they become rich. I don't see any downside to speculation.

Hey, redtext buddy. Remember that little derail?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heist with brains :neckbeard:

All out war in New Seattle. :black101: Shame there is only one episode left because there will be a lot of plot points to wrap up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I sincerely thought they were going to just straight up murder Lilywhite in a super offhand way. Just blown the gently caress up in another pointless pep talk, but nope, he's still just a dumb hunk having to fight an evil Frenchman.

Also I'm still a bit confused what the army of obedient Romero's are going to be used for when it seems they have most of the zombie population supporting them; I mean, it can't just be they needed a super obedient army, right? Are they in constant super strong fury mode?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

discworld is all I read posted:

I sincerely thought they were going to just straight up murder Lilywhite in a super offhand way. Just blown the gently caress up in another pointless pep talk, but nope, he's still just a dumb hunk having to fight an evil Frenchman.

Also I'm still a bit confused what the army of obedient Romero's are going to be used for when it seems they have most of the zombie population supporting them; I mean, it can't just be they needed a super obedient army, right? Are they in constant super strong fury mode?

I think the only advantage besides perma fury mode is absolute obedience and that they don't have to feed them. The zombies are on their side for now, but I bet not all of them would be willing to go out of Seattle to attack people. Also it was mentioned again this episode that they are running out of brains. I don't think it's explicitly stated in the show but zombies seem to be able to live forever as Romero's if they don't eat. I think in an earlier season they found a missing boat party girl in a hole who was there for months? or something like that.

So having a way to control a mindless horde who will follow your orders without hesitation that also requires 0 maintenance is pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It is gonna be super awkward for both sides of this conflict when they spread the cure and everyone ends up in jail for mass murder.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am watching the latest episode and I find it odd that so far nobody has mentioned the ethical problems with the zombie cure. Sure a lot of people don't want to be zombies and there are certainly dangers to consider, but the government that is willing to nuke Seattle is probably just going to line up every single zombie and force the cure on them.
It's a little disappointing that after all this, Liv still thinks that being a zombie is 100% bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oasx posted:

I am watching the latest episode and I find it odd that so far nobody has mentioned the ethical problems with the zombie cure. Sure a lot of people don't want to be zombies and there are certainly dangers to consider, but the government that is willing to nuke Seattle is probably just going to line up every single zombie and force the cure on them.
It's a little disappointing that after all this, Liv still thinks that being a zombie is 100% bad

Eh, I don't really have a problem with that. Zombies are pretty dangerous and their food supply comes from people. Better to try and cure all the zombies then have to worry about possible outbreaks happening across the country or globe because one zombie didn't eat recently and went on a rampage.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

What happens to all those people with life-threatening diseases that Liv saved by making them into zombies?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ardlen posted:

What happens to all those people with life-threatening diseases that Liv saved by making them into zombies?

I think the show stated that being turned into a zombie magically cures them. Or at least being turned into a zombie has saved Major when he had otherwise fatal wounds and then he became human again and he was fine. Or maybe I'm not remembering this part correctly. So they are probably fine.

Or they can look at it as "hey I got a few extra weeks / months of being healthy before I die" before the government forcibly cures them :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well that sure was a disappointing and rushed finale. :rip: Blaine, Don E and Michelle. All of your plot points got rushed to hell and weren't satisfying at all so we could fit in some pointless airplane scenes.
How the gently caress did they not kill off Dolly or give her a conclusive ending. Even poor Michelle got murdered so they could tie up her baby momma plotline.
Also what the gently caress was that Epilogue with Piz. Got some serious no budget left / Xenogears disk 2 vibes from that. Also people have been reporting Liv sightings everywhere but she's just living on zombie island? :psyduck:

I like how Blaine became a completely different character in the last 2 episodes by introducing his obsession with Peyton. Of course this new Blaine is also dumb enough to feed the brain of Don E's girlfriend to Peyton so she can get a vision and spill the beans. This is definitely logical and not bad writing or rushed. The scene with the well was unintentionally hilarious.

Looks like the show is asking the same question about the kids with terminal illnesses and the cure. And while not explicitly stated I guess their answer was they will die if they take the cure. So fatal wounds can be healed by turning into a zombie then getting the cure like Peyton, but terminal illnesses just get their progression halted so they have to be a zombie forever.

Based on nothing but my own speculation, I'll assume this season was so weak because the showrunners were also busy working on Veronica Mars and that got more of their attention. This show deserved a better final season and a much better finale.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good. Honestly, the last 2 seasons have felt like first drafts of the story they were trying to tell; they'd raise questions and then never get around to actually answering them.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Of course this new Blaine is also dumb enough to feed the brain of Don E's girlfriend to Peyton so she can get a vision and spill the beans.

I believe he said it was Bubba’s brain, not Darcy’s.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I pretty much agree with most of Captain Cap's points. The finale was extremely disappointing. The drop in quality during the last two seasons was pretty clear, so I wasn't expecting it to be fantastic. And I still enjoyed it, and will remember the show fondly, but it was pretty bad.

Letting Zombies just 'decide to not take the cure' but continue to co-exist with humans? A cheap cure doesn't stop the fact that now a portion of the population has super strength and can go on a murder rampage because they didn't get a donated brain soon enough. Never mind the fact that being a Zombie apparently makes you young forever and immortal and cures fatal illnesses...

But you know... it is a Zombie show. So I'm even willing to forgive it that and at least give them credit for not just keeping Liv/Zombies in hiding forever and actually taking a shot at moving the plot along. However, there was absolutely no reason for them to rush the last two episodes so much. They knew it was the last season and could have done so much better. Blaine feeding that brain to Payton was just too dumb and out of character and can't be forgiven.

With that said, I did laugh and enjoy at Liv and Ravi going all Mission Impossible. It was annoying that they didn't use brains in that capacity more often. I loved every time Blaine did it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

That wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good. Honestly, the last 2 seasons have felt like first drafts of the story they were trying to tell; they'd raise questions and then never get around to actually answering them.

It felt like they had a ton of ideas they wanted to cover but didn't know if they'd have time to do them all so they just threw everything in.

The ending was definitely rushed but I did really like how they resolved Enzo.

Also did anyone else half expect the rest of the D&D gang to show up in the VR chat instead of what we got?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 2, 2019

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So they did a post-mortem interview and I thought it was kinda cool. I completely do not see Lowell playing Lowell though. It'd be too weird.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/01/izomb...hXzQPrxL-U3d71I

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Dead Enders stuff getting no resolution was super weird. You'd think the cure would remove their support among the masses since it reframes the subject as a treatable disease. Also it was very unsatisfying to see Dolly Durkins just go off and continue being a terrible person.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

So they did a post-mortem interview and I thought it was kinda cool. I completely do not see Lowell playing Lowell though. It'd be too weird.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/01/izomb...hXzQPrxL-U3d71I

quote:

Veronica Mars is noir, iZombie‘s not. I don’t expect that we’re going to see more iZombies in my lifetime, so let’s go out big happy.

So why the gently caress didn't you tie up the Dolly / Dead Enders plot.

quote:

That was the subject of great debate. I’m pretty thrilled with how that goes down, because Liv does get to actually put almost the worst stake in Blaine’s heart. She has just forced him to spend eternity with Don E. The two of them hate each other. They’re going to be down in this well forever, hating each other. In my mind, it allowed us to have both Don E and Liv get their payback on Blaine for everything he’s done to them.

:thunk: But they will Romero after a few days.

e: "We didn't have time to even give an offhand remark about whether or not Liv's brother made it to the treatment facility." Gotta film another pointless scene on the plane!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 3, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well that was a poo poo ending. Can't believe they just let Durkins walk. Also, while the perks of never aging are pretty obvious, I think it's kind of silly that Liv and Major show up as still zombies. Like, even if they can finally be together and not worry about infecting each other or anything, from episode 1 they show zombie-ism to be a pretty poo poo deal all things considered. Liv doesn't need to be doing her stupid Renegade gig, let literally any other zombie kid scratch whatever new batch of cancer kids show up.

In the end I think iZombie is a perfect example of why some shows need to stay small and avoid too much serialization. I mean clearly there was always gonna have to be a plot of finding the cure and Blaine's bullshit, but that should've been way in the background. Like, literally everything after the introduction of Fillmore-Graves was some poo poo the show didn't need. The only good thing later seasons provided was Ravi's botched cure giving him "monthlies" if only so Rahul Kohli got to act goofy too every now and then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The ending was a bit disappointing. I'm glad that Peyton and the kids did actually fight back. My biggest pet peeve with shows is when one person with a gun shows up to threaten a whole room full of people who are likely going to die but no one does anything.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Based on nothing but my own speculation, I'll assume this season was so weak because the showrunners were also busy working on Veronica Mars and that got more of their attention. This show deserved a better final season and a much better finale.

yep

Rahul Kohli posted:

What happened in season five was that Veronica Mars was being made, so Rob had departed iZombie. He was still our showrunner and he still had the same amount of control he always did, but he was focused on the Veronica Mars series, as was our other producer, Dan Etheridge. So it changed hands for a little bit, pretty much for the second half of the season. It became a little bit unpredictable, and I don't mean that as a negative. I just mean that now we weren't sure what the general overview was, we didn't know what the ending was. This season was probably the least informed we've ever been. John Enbom was, for all intents and purposes, filling in for Rob Thomas, and we weren't as sure what was happenign week to week because they were busy just cranking out scripts and keeping us on track. So there were surprises, there were things that we didn't think were going to happen that happened.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Gonna need a compilation of all of Babineaux's :what: faces everytime Liv acts up on a brain.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I guess reading this thread primed me for a terrible finale so I ended up liking it better than most. The only part I felt was rushed was the suicide bomber out of nowhere, causing a timeskip to 10 years later. That could have used another 20 minutes.

And isn't Blaine's dad dead? Why is he still tossing brains into the well? Also, poor Michelle :(

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Argue posted:

I guess reading this thread primed me for a terrible finale so I ended up liking it better than most. The only part I felt was rushed was the suicide bomber out of nowhere, causing a timeskip to 10 years later. That could have used another 20 minutes.

And isn't Blaine's dad dead? Why is he still tossing brains into the well? Also, poor Michelle :(

I think he was tossing rocks. I assume Blaine being Blaine would have had his dad's body tossed down the well as its finale resting place after his finale death in the riots.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I thought it was mentioned that they were tossing cleaner in the well because it was starting to smell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was still down there just all Romero'd up but yeah I guess I forgot that he was dead dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the idea was that it smelled because he had been down there so long, not because he was still there. Blaine's dad got shot in the head last season when he tried to lead that uprising.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Caught up with the last two episodes after figuring out a way around the DirecTV-CBS dispute.

I liked them; the show wrapped things up as best it could given all the sprawling plot lines.

It's interesting to read about what a seeming mess behind the scenes were, as I rather enjoyed this last season more than the previous couple. Echoing what others have said, sometimes shows bite off more than they can chew especially when on a limited budget, and this one was no exception. But, ultimately I'll miss this daffy little world.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The ending to the Don E and Blaine storyline was so bad. A disappointing end to a disappointing season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show should have ended at least two seasons earlier. There were some good bits in seasons four and five but over all the plot just didn't hold together and they were very obviously doing stuff to maintain the status-quo rather than because it made sense. Blaine living to the end is the prime example - so many people had so many reasons and opportunities to kill him and his lack of long-term planning and foresight made it impossible to believe he was actually capable of keeping himself safe all that time.

And that last episode was a real damp squib. Show's over so we can finally kill off all these bad guys and miraculously the good guys all get happy endings and nothing bad ever happens again. And a whole bunch of stuff was just basically dropped, like as though there wouldn't be massive repercussions for all involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The fifth season wasn't as good as the previous four, but overall the show was loving amaaaaaaaaaaaziiiiing. I kinda liked the final episode vOv. The heist episode was the highlight of the season though.

Random thoughts:

- One of my favourite things was Clive playing D&D. Going from very reluctantly agreeing to play ("Earl the Dwarf Fighter") to getting super into it and eventually running the regular game for the SPD geek squad.

- Ravi was my favourite character in a show of great characters with Clive as the close second.

- They kinda leaned a bit too far into the brain personality thing. In the earlier seasons anyone who ate brains just got some quirks from the brain owner, but later they just became a completely different person. It got us some good and fun episodes, but less might've been more.

- I like that the show went some wild places, but I agree that in the overarching plot less could've been more, also.