Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dragon's Dogma is the best god drat thing to ever come out of Capcom, and thats why Capcom has ported it to every console that exists. Look at that picture up there, I'm shoving an iced enchanted sword into a minotaur's DICK. You are the Arisen and you adventure with your best bud, known as a pawn. You can also bring 2 other pawns made by other players, and likewise have your own pawn be recruited by others. Pawns learn things and provide useful tips during combat, making them far smarter then humans (did you know on average, 95% of MMO players do not know how to not step in the bad? A pawn will only step in the bad once, and will learn to not do it again).

There is a story about your heart being stolen but we aren't gonna worry about that. For you see in the expansion, Dark Arisen, Capcom has added a dungeon with new monsters and weapons, intended for the end game. But we aren't doing this in the end game, I'm gonna run into it right from the start.

I have never heard of this game, how can I watch this if I don't know the story?

Good news! Goon DoubleNegative is currently doing his own LP of the game! Its in screenshot form so you can take it at your own speed, and comes with other perks like not having 2 unfunny jackasses talk over the game!

What is Bitterblack Isle?

Bitteblack Isle (BBI) is a dungeon that has many rooms in it, full of many different monsters and loot. Beyond being more difficult then the base game, you will also find gear that needs to be purified to find out what it is. This includes even stronger gear to use to murder things more effectively. There is even a little story contained in itself that provides more insight in how the Dragon's Dogma universe works!

Whats the spoiler policy?

Everything outside of BBI is cool, but I DO ask you don't open spoil what happens at the end game of the main story, after killing Grigori, for the sake of my cohost who should pick up this game on Switch with the brand new Nintendo Switch that he has purchased.

Don't open spoil anything in BBI, use tags. But please don't make the first page be a CIA document talking about end game stuff :shepface:

How is this run gonna work out?

I will run to BBI as soon as possible, right after doing Strength in Numbers.
I will eventually come back and do Rude Awakening later, when the XP payout wont matter much, to unlock Johnathon so I can fix up my pawn's inclination.
I can purchase anything that is obtainable from merchants. This is just so I'm not running with rusted weapons and taking even longer to kill things.
Beyond that, everything I kill or pick up will only be in BBI.
I can return to Cassardis to fix my pawn's inclination
I can only recruit pawns at or below my level, no using pawns higher leveled then me.
This isn't a low level run per se, I'm not gonna go out of my way to not get xp.

Hire my pawn!

If you got a pawn that is near my level, and its inclinations and skills are what I need, sure I can have them tag along. But I'm an extremely antisocial goon and as such wont trade steam IDs so we can be friends, so you'll just have to tell me the class, level and name :v:

I will be rolling with my main pawn cocommentator Ibblebibble, who suffered through a bad game with me, a comrade in arms if you will. This means our commentary will consist of talking about other games and how bad anime is.

Videos

Episode 1 Don't pick up your pawns

Episode 2 Skeleton nerds

Episode 3 Close but no cigar

Episode 4 Biscuits

Episode 5 Interspecies Deviancy

Episode 6 Bad Habits

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
reserve

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Congrats on getting the thread up and running! I haven't played the game myself, but as I don't see myself doing so anytime soon I guess I will check these out.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Not directly related to this LP, but I remember the tactical blunderbuss mentioned in the video: https://lparchive.org/Ghost-Recon-Future-Soldier/Update%2010/ :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah that was loving great. I was gonna put it into the video but forgot about it after editing the audio. Never forget

quote:

Adrastus Rule: Short Barrels are now banned from everything forever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't have enough Dragon's Dogma. Ground floor on this one.

...It helps that BBI is by far the best part of it.

e: Actually, one thing to ask: I noticed you're playing Warrior, which I always considered an utterly poo poo class because of the lack of secondary weapon/skills. Are you in it for the growths or are the skills you get worth having only half of them?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 8, 2019

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Can't have enough Dragon's Dogma. Ground floor on this one.

...It helps that BBI is by far the best part of it.
I canīt help to be excited for what an eventual Dragonīs Dogma 2 will look like if the developers use what theyīve learned from Bitterblack and DMC 5.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

e: Actually, one thing to ask: I noticed you're playing Warrior, which I always considered an utterly poo poo class because of the lack of secondary weapon/skills. Are you in it for the growths or are the skills you get worth having only half of them?

Yeah, I want to get those strength and HP gains early so I can take hits and not spend forever and a day killing things. My end game plan is for both myself and my pawn to be striders.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope that my general buffoonery will be enough to make up for my lack of knowledge of the game.

Edit: did anyone else watch Beastmaster or did I just hallucinate that show?

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 9, 2019

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Havent played this game in a while. Had a hard time with the controls.
And yeah, I saw Beastmaster ages ago.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
gently caress yeah, BBI run! My last character was BBI only. Such an interesting way to play the game. You skulk inside the walls trying to loot what you can, fighting your way into the light bit by bit. You're like a rat in a building.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Havent played this game in a while. Had a hard time with the controls.
And yeah, I saw Beastmaster ages ago.

Its gonna be fun when I go to a bow class and you can tell I'm using the controller to move while using the mouse to aim cause the controls on the bottom right constantly change between the 2 settings :v:

Donkringel posted:

gently caress yeah, BBI run! My last character was BBI only. Such an interesting way to play the game. You skulk inside the walls trying to loot what you can, fighting your way into the light bit by bit. You're like a rat in a building.

Trying to use what you got available is great. Its why I try throwing barrels at enemies cause it'll actually stagger enemies.

I would totally be down for a Dragma spin off game where all you do is dive dungeons with your AI buddies who dynamically learn stuff as you dive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Update 2 :siren:

Today we bully some skeleton nerds and I learn a valuable lesson about buying the cow when the milk was free or something like that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dragon's Dogma probably the best thing Capcom put out before Devil May Cry 5 has possibly taken that title.

Can that title be shared by 2 games i absolutly love?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
First off, not enough explosions for your avatar,
Second, I suppose that's a good replacement for frogs that eat everyone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

Dragon's Dogma probably the best thing Capcom put out before Devil May Cry 5 has possibly taken that title.

Can that title be shared by 2 games i absolutly love?

Here is a timeline of my thoughts on a Dragma sequel coming out:

Shortly post Dragma: Yes, give me this sequel.

"Every game must make CoD money" Capcom: Oh god please don't make a Dragma sequel

Remake2 Capcom: God dammit give me this sequel.

Just don't gently caress it up by like making rift crystals a premium currency or some poo poo.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Watching the videos, I think the game audio is too low at times, sometimes I can barely hear it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Gotta turn up the volume to 100%. For whatever reason, its not like I'm playing at an ultra low volume, it sounds perfect when I record and when I have it on my media player. But apparently everyone else on youtube plays and speaks at 4 times the volume I do, where I have to bring down the volume to 15% so my ears don't get blasted.

This is how I listen to literally every other video on youtube. And yes, my volume mixer has everything at the same volume levels. Maybe I should just highlight the entire video and increase the volume by 400%

E: It could also be the autoducking

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 14, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Episode 3

Going deeper into the dungeon, we witness something who bears the head of a cock. Also I get a lovely statue in the likeness of one of the guest pawns.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Leal posted:

Episode 3

Going deeper into the dungeon, we witness something who bears the head of a cock. Also I get a lovely statue in the likeness of one of the guest pawns.

So the Cockatrice encounter is when I start crawling through the walls like a rat. Screw that cockatrice.

Also do you have the monster in a box locations mapped out already? Those were always my greatest problem early game, until I just memorized them/had a guide up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I do have a rough idea of where mimics are... that is, the ones that aren't in random chests. I do believe there is a handful of chests that they can spawn in that case, you'll notice as time goes on I start waiting for my pawns to open chests instead of doing it myself :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question, have you used any of the Nexus mods before?

I'm thinking about getting the save manager, backing up my save and then starting a modded game (lefeins difficulty mod, maybe an enb mod and an unlocked equipment/class mod) and I'd be interested in getting your perspective.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't run any mods, but my cohost can vouch for the nude mod.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

I don't run any mods, but my cohost can vouch for the nude mod.

I can't believe you would slander my good name like that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Episode 4

Been a bit of a spell, hasn't it? Today's video we meet the first boss of BBI and try to close the regional divide around biscuits.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I believe there is a way to hotkey items so you don't need to keep going into the menu. Throwblast harder.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How much more stuff do you think you need before you can take on that huge beholder? More levels in professions or...?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Donkringel posted:

I believe there is a way to hotkey items so you don't need to keep going into the menu. Throwblast harder.

There is, but I do play on controller. Unless I'm using the bow, then I use my palm to move the mouse around :v:

SSNeoman posted:

How much more stuff do you think you need before you can take on that huge beholder? More levels in professions or...?

Weapons, I desperately need a weapon. As an assassin I get 6 strength per level. Getting a level 1 BBI weapon gives me 474 strength.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Leal posted:

There is, but I do play on controller. Unless I'm using the bow, then I use my palm to move the mouse around :v:

You can set a controller hotkey in the inventory with Y/triangle then a dpad direction, and use the hotkey ingame with L1/R1 + dpad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
WHAT THE gently caress :supaburn:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Leal posted:

WHAT THE gently caress :supaburn:

At least you found out now!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is me, I am the fake fan

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Leal posted:

It is me, I am the fake fan

I beat Grigori my first run on PC before discovering there were even keyboard hotkeys. We're all fake fans.

Before that I was playing on 360, which doesn't have hotkeys at all if I recall right.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Episode 5

Yeah its a Leal LP alright. Today's episode has interspecies degeneracy and I get cucked in the end, that face is me irl.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:rip: Leal. Well, did you get any phat lewt?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
That ogre isn't actually regenerating. The birdlady in that encounter is a siren, not a succubus. They have a healing song, instead of a debuffing one. That's what causing the ogre to recover health.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

:rip: Leal. Well, did you get any phat lewt?

Thankfully I didn't lose out on the Gazer's drops.

I'll miss that xp though

Oo Koo posted:

That ogre isn't actually regenerating. The birdlady in that encounter is a siren, not a succubus. They have a healing song, instead of a debuffing one. That's what causing the ogre to recover health.

I'm a fake fan confirmed. I didn't know the sirens had a healing song, maybe because arriving after doing the main game typically means those things die too fast for it to be noticed. Also I blame my pawn for not relentlessly yelling about it to me :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Episode 6 Bad Habits

Today my habits have come to bite me in the rear end. And god drat does time just fly by. I'll see you all next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seemed like it was mostly the melee guys who were doing your poo poo in.