Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Welcome to POPMUNDO, an online, multi lingual role-playing game and community, where you strive for fame in a virtual music industry. It's played in real time and keeps on going even when you're not logged on. This is a browser based text game.

Check in and play it for a few minutes twice a week or in between other MMO sessions!

Feel free to use my invite link: https://www.popmundo.com/Popmundo.aspx/Invite/3485760 (if you decide to purchase VIP, then I get kickbacks).

Character Creation

1) Just Starting - Pick your name, genre of music you want your band to play, and an instrument. Do whatever you want here, you can change your starting instrument later with a little cash or the beneficence of another player. Yes you can play the didgeridoo in a Heavy Metal band, go hog wild!

For the sake of this guide I will assume you are starting in LA.

2)Character Attributes -

(Taken from Popmundo's Help Guide)

Attributes are what you spend experience points (XP) on.

Charm
This attribute is good for everyone who likes to mingle and get ahead in life by fraternizing with the other characters. Charm also gives you an advantage in many areas of your career which requires a persuasive and likable personality.

Looks
Your looks (or lack thereof) determine how well you're received by fans, critics, and lovers. Sad but true in the real world. Equally sad and true in here.

Voice
Your vocal attribute determines just how good of a singer you are.

Musicality
This attribute makes up the basis for many creative efforts in your musical career. You won't do very well as a songwriter without this one. (I suggest you attempt to maximize this stat and Intelligence ASAP)

Intelligence
Your intelligence helps you study, learn new things, cope with the unknown, and dazzle people with your wits. The better your intelligence, the higher you can skill on your own without any setbacks.

Constitution
A robust constitution helps you to maintain good health and recover from strenuous activities more quickly. Sometimes a good constitution and a well earned rest is all you need to get back on track.

Strength
Your strength helps you impress your friends with your bulging muscles. This is not an essential attribute for artists and musicians.

Dexterity
Your dexterity represents your basic ability to skillfully perform advanced tasks with your hands and body. This is not an essential attribute for artists and musicians.

IMPORTANT The long and the short of it is that you will accumulate several newbie points to increase your attributes. However Strength and Dexterity do nothing, Constitution is not reported to do much and Intelligence is king if you want to skill up fast (you want to do this).

3) Skills

There are a plethora of skills, described in detail on the wiki here: https://popmundo-bible.net/home

You can acquire skills four (4) ways: through completing Guides, buying a Book and reading it, going to class at the University, and having a Mentor teach you.

There are several Newbie Guides located on the top bar under "Guide". Once you complete "The Garage Band" you get one star in Basic Showmanship. Completing "Second base and Beyond" gets you one star in Sex. Completing "The Game World" gets you one star in Basic Manners. Completing "Build a Repertoire" gets you one star in Basic Composing.

DO NOT BUY BOOKS FOR THE ABOVE SKILLS It is a waste of money.

Books are usually $1000 or greater. You can find Books in Shops. To find a Shop that has the Book you are looking for, click "Character" on the top menu, then find the "Shopping Assistant" under TRADE on the right hand column. Select Books from the drop down menu and the title of the specific skill book you desire. Below will be a list of Shops that carry the book.

But hold on. Now you have to WALK to that Shop. Do so by clicking on the Shop name. You should be taken to the Shop screen. Click on "Move to Locale" under Visit. Now you are AT the Shop. Click Go Shopping under Speak to Salesperson. Look for your desired book again and then purchase it. Then click on Character and go to the Items menu on the right side column. From there you can read the book and acquire the skill.

If you don't have the money for a Book, try to find a free class at the local University. I'll assume you started in LA so go ahead and click on the City menu up top. Scroll down completely and look at the Word from the Mayor section. Three universities are listed below. Lets pick UCLA (gently caress USC :toot:). Click on View Courses and pick one that costs no money. For example Basic Lyrics is free. Register for that class then MOVE TO LOCALE under Visit to physically walk to UCLA. Stay at UCLA. Click on the Character menu from the overhead bar, then click on Focus under the Career & Activity heading on the right hand side. Set your Career Focus to Attend Classes. Then you are good to go!

Once you have acquired a skill, and it is less than three stars, studying on your own is the fastest way to improve it. To study on your own, click on the Character menu from the overhead bar, then click on Focus under the Career & Activity heading on the right hand side. Set your Career Focus to Improve Skill and you are all set. Over a week's time (or a few days) you will accumulate experience in the skill and eventually get it to one star.

4) Jobs

What job have you started with? Click on Character and click on Employment on the sidebar. If you have a Worker position and you are making about $2000 a week you are good to go.

To make more money it is recommended to get the skill Basic Media Manipulation to one star then apply to a PR firm as a PR manager to make about $4700 a week.

To find a new job click on City, go to the sidebar to the right for Available Jobs then use the pull down menu. Understand that some jobs have skill or attribute prerequisites, the details of which can be found on the Popmundo Bible.

https://popmundo-bible.net/home

5) Summary : Before you Logout

1. Spend your experience points on Intelligence
2. Career Focus to Improve Skill or Attend Classes. Make sure you are at the right University.
3. Select Spare Time Focus to anything other than Rest
4. Make sure you are making at least $2000 a week from your job.

If interest is there I'll explain more of the mechanics such as finding songs to add to your Repertoire, the Set List, etc.

6) Resources

Popmundo Bible: https://popmundo-bible.net/home

Reddit Index of r/Popmundo : https://www.reddit.com/r/Popmundo/wiki/index

Reddit Newbie guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Popmundo/wiki/latsguide (I recommend this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

lol

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Can someone link me a Popmundo tier list?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

but is there ERP?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
lmao thanks for the phone browser poop game ad op

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
No one asked for this

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guys I think I hosed up my character. Don't build Death Metal Scream/Flamenco Guitar, there's no synergy at all

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I played this like.. ten years ago! It's still around and alive? Did anything change significantly in that time? I remember the music game got boring after figuring out the algorithm and making it to #1 WiW for a few weeks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This reminds me of the Geno invasion of that Coke music game, only without people playing nothing but cowbell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

I played this like.. ten years ago! It's still around and alive? Did anything change significantly in that time? I remember the music game got boring after figuring out the algorithm and making it to #1 WiW for a few weeks.

The most significant change I can see is the plethora of Criminal skills. I don't know if you could in the past but evidently if you study Arson you can set buildings on fire. And there are counter firefighting skills. Also one of the skills allows you to tag buildings but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe Basic Crime.

The Popmundo devs opened a sister game called The Great Heist where most of the new criminal skills are used. However there is like 30-50 people online TGH world wide at any given time so it's not very popular. I tried it for a little while, took the first heist which was breaking into city hall for a safehouse deed, and I ended up in prison pretty quickly. I'm not sure how the mechanics work yet so I didn't advertise it.

Off the top of my head the "new" mechanics in Popmundo include: getting married, PVP stealing if you have VIP and the PVP flag on, harvesting animals/herbs/insects from the environment so you can sell them in shops, the whole recording industry system, parties (instituted last month), crafting (VIP only), and several quests like killing zombies in the afterlife on Halloween.

Edit: also there is running for office, learning to be a Doctor to treat diseases, and learning to be a pig or a Judge to capture criminals.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 19, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I can make music and burn stuff?

:rock: :norway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
You can write songs (depends on skills Basic Lyrics, Basic Composing and the various Composing skills) and set your Spare Time Focus to Download Music Illegally.

I don't know how the Arson skill works. You need 2 stars in Basic Criminality and Basic Chemistry and then you have to find the Arson skill somehow. I do know that in LA Pack of Dynamite and Molotov cocktail are illegal items. I'm sure the Smuggling skill would get around that somehow.