Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Problem description: I have a user using a windwos 10 computer with the Japanese language pack installed, and used the IME keyboard. I used to be able to use CTRL-CAPSLOCK to switch to Hiragana after changing the language to Japanese. I could also right click the A icon in the system tray and pick Hiragana from the menu. This allowed me to type romaji which were changes to the appropriate hirgana/kanji. But after installing the April 2018 update 1803 and 1809 April 2019 the entire Japanese keyboard entry system does not work. Not matter what you do or how you try you cannot switch to Japanese input.

Attempted fixes:
1. Checked for any updates to the system
2. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the language packs.
3. Tried rolling the system back to when this was working, but the computer is new and does not have any rollback points that were in the timeframe where this worked.

Recent changes: It’s a new computer, so none really outside of updating windows 10 to see if that would fix the issue, and uninstalling/re-installing the language packs.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:
Dell optiplex 3060
Core i7
16gb ram
1tb hdd (7200 RPM)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes
I saw this info (please see links)

https://superuser.com/questions/1319525/win-10-1803-update-has-killed-japanese-language-keyboard%94

https://superuser.com/questions/1321967/fix-japanese-ime-after-april-2018-update%94

Basically it says that the updates broke the dicts that keep the info for the language in the machine and that you can fix the issue by having a copy of the dicts from a machine that is running windows 10 ver 1709, copying those dicts and replacing them in the machine that is post 1803 (in this case running 1809).

I am not 100% sure if this will fix the issue, but it is exactly the same description of what I see is taking place so it is something I would like to try, but I have no machines to copy the dicts from, is there any way to get them online somewhere?

*OR*

Maybe I am totally off in my diagnosis, and I need to be looking in a different direction.

EDIT: spelling

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU