Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
this is america, where people line up multiple hours in advance at professional sports stadiums to get dental work done provided by free clinics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

so in early april 2016 i lost a filling in a back left tooth. i got loving unlucky exercised my freedom of choice by losing dental insurance about a week prior. Needless to say, this sucked!!! I got insurance again last summer, but had no job and no savings so i wasnt able to go to the dentist until a week before i started a new job on halloween. I was told I had good insurance so I thought it'd be a couple hundred. hahaa what a dumbass! the dentist did an exam and then the accounts person came in to talk costs with me. Who proceeded to show me a screen that showed I needed 10,000 of treatments but dont worry because insurance would cover a couple thousand of that!! The costs came from needing: four root canals (the one tooth that lost a filling needed one, the one behind it had a root canal when i was young and it was so botched it needed to be redone, and then two on the other side because i couldnt chew on my right side anymore so my left side was really bad!) four crowns on each one of those, on top of a couple fillings, several cleanings, and a deep cleaning.

So after an hour of negotiations, I was finally able to get: a pulpectomy, a crown and a filling (they were able to prevent a root canal on one tooth but i lost most of the tooth) a deep cleaning ( but only on my right side because insurance only covered one side of my mouth!) all for $1200 after insurance covered about $500. I would end up going back for the root canal (they saved the teeth on the right side from needing root canals!) and crown/fillings for a total of $1500 on top of the original $1200. I put $500 each time on credit card - the appointments were a month apart - and now have a $75 monthly payment for my goddamned teeth.

im supremely lucky that i was able to get insurance when i did and could finally end the loving pain and i can only hope it can happen to other people itt. my best advise is some real awesome mouthwash. The heavy duty poo poo would usually calm the pain enough for me to sleep at night, and if it got real bad i'd just down a bit of pills/some numbing cream.

:d2a:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I live in Canada and have dental coverage through work. My usual cleaning was about $200, with about $40 coming out of pocket, which I got reimbursed for through work because they give us a few hundred bucks per year to spend on other medical poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mayor Dave posted:

jfc i've heard brits complaining about having to pay for the dentist but lmao those costs are frikkin nuts, i spent 400 for a root canal and it didn't include the crown in that price

if i ever hear a brit complain about health care costs again im gonna deport them to australia

e: and this was with pretty decent insurance too

It's very expensive compared to the cost of getting a kidney transplant, which is zero, or getting to go to a psychiatrist, which is zero, or having surgery for a burst appendix which is zero.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I pay 80 for a check-up and clean every year. I would pay 0 for that if I had worked continuously since leaving school but I spent too many years being NEET and depressed so I'm not entitled to that.

When I got my bottom wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic last year I spent 300 because I made friends with a dentist and he gave me a 50% discount. I originally asked him what the prices were like in Spain (his home country) because I couldn't afford the 1200+ I thought it was going to cost under general anesthetic.

If you're worried about an expensive dental procedure, OP, I think Spain is not the worst idea.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Here's my local dentist's prices for people who aren't covered:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Moridin920 posted:

Can you please clarify if that's per filling or if it's like you pay for band 2 and they do all your fillings?

A single band 2 payment would cover everything

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think the most I ever paid was $200 for a course of whitening. Came with a custom mouthguard.

You can spend thousands if you want them to give you the full trump-smile look, but most regular joes can get by with $20 cleanings and the occasional filling.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

idk OP my insurance covers it

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I pay like $86 for cleanings (and the lady is good af) at the dental college in the city. She does the ultrasonic deep cleaning .. :hellyeah:

Check if theres a school of dentistry by you For Much Win.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
the dentist game be competitive as gently caress lately. 1 dentist per 1,000, 27 dentists in a town of 27,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

quote:

the nhs is one of the few services where you have to pay,