Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thing or Not A Thing?
This poll is closed.
What the gently caress OP, definitely NOT A Thing 3 23.08%
Oh Yeah Man, Definitely A Thing, also GOKU :hehe: 10 76.92%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
One day a while back in my past life of slave retail, a regular customer indicated his shirt to me. It looked kind of like a bowling shirt, or a cabana shirt like Tony Soprano would wear. Essentially a collared t-shirt with a couple of buttons at the top- like a polo, but the cravat was flared like a vintage bowling shirt and made from a similar light, loose fabric. He told me it was in fact a "club shirt". The purpose of such, as he explained it to me, was to serve as a type of acceptable relaxed quasi-informal wear for men who gathered in clubs in the 1950s (clubs in the sense of hobbyist or enthusiast groups and associations).

I've looked for information on them but I've yet to come across anything that would validate what he said. "Club shirt" is virtually un-googleable because the vague nature of the name lends itself to all kinds of false returns. Any goons that can shine a light on the mystery of the Club Shirt?

Have at it and happy posting! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
this is my club shirt

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Club shirt becomes evening shirt becomes day shirt becomes gym shirt becomes work shirt becomes bed shirt becomes cum rag

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You are BANNED from this thread :mad:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So...

a shirt like one would wear if you were part of a club?

Like a football club?

With two buttons you say?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 22, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That's part of the problem. Due to the proliferation of so-called FC "clubs" combined with the paucity of true hobbyist organizations there is a glut of shirts that fulfill the linguistically correct aspect but not the soul of the shirt. It's a drat shame

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well I mean the second one looks like it fits the bill, cut wise if too skinny a person wore it.

Can you tell me what's different between that, a bowling shirt, and a polo shirt are and what you're describing given what you've said?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread needs a “clubbing”.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

CHECK OUT ME AND MY BROS NEW FUCKIN HAIR CUTS (AND CLUB SHIRTS)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

Can you tell me what's different between that, a bowling shirt, and a polo shirt are and what you're describing given what you've said?

It's basically a bowling shirt without your name on it, or logos or anything. At least that's what he was wearing, before he started telling me about it unprompted.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

numberoneposter posted:

not now chief, I'm in the fuckin zone

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Perhaps what you are looking for is a guayabera.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's basically a bowling shirt without your name on it, or logos or anything. At least that's what he was wearing, before he started telling me about it unprompted.

?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

everytime i see someone order a heineken i say that

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
the only time I've heard this term used in recent memory was when Pauly D "wrote" that book and in it he mentioned having a shirt he put on RIGHT before going to the club. It was a different shirt than the one he'd wear pregraming or going to the gym. Pretty sure the f plus read excerpts from it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

autism ZX spectrum posted:

the only time I've heard this term used in recent memory was when Pauly D "wrote" that book and in it he mentioned having a shirt he put on RIGHT before going to the club. It was a different shirt than the one he'd wear pregraming or going to the gym. Pretty sure the f plus read excerpts from it.

yeah t-shirt time was a thing on jersey shore always

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Don't dox me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This just makes me think that bowling shirts are cooler

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ah, the Guy Fieri line of formalwear.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I was hoping this was a thread asking advice for what sort of shirt to wear to the club, something I definitely have a wealth of knowledge about and am full of great suggestions.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Ah, the Guy Fieri line of formalwear.

Needs more oily drippings from a triple deep-fried slammin' bacon cheddar siracha ranch onion puff

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009
"He told me it was in fact a "club shirt". The purpose of such, as he explained it to me, was to serve as a type of acceptable relaxed quasi-informal wear for men who gathered in clubs in the 1950s (clubs in the sense of hobbyist or enthusiast groups and associations)."

I think he meant a cabana club, like there was in Miami and Cuba during the 1950's

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
what was his name

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The first rule of club shirt is you do not -- oh, drat.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Muscadine Wine posted:

"He told me it was in fact a "club shirt". The purpose of such, as he explained it to me, was to serve as a type of acceptable relaxed quasi-informal wear for men who gathered in clubs in the 1950s (clubs in the sense of hobbyist or enthusiast groups and associations)."

I think he meant a cabana club, like there was in Miami and Cuba during the 1950's

probably right, this guy seemed more of a model railroader than a Rico Suavé

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Op what if this man was lying to you?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Was it white and did it come with a hood? I think you may have met a real wizard op

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
those fishing shirts with the cooling vent on the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
those shirts only exist on tv