Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asshawk
Mar 16, 2004
Isn't that demoralising to women?
Hey folks - I am about to take part in an ActForPeace ration challenge. That means roughly eating as much (on average) a typical middle eastern refugee in a determent camp is eating.

Trouble is - I'm not a particularly good cook / foodie, and was trying to think of some recipes or scalp some off you guys if there are any creative ideas that you make up with this particular ration challenge.

If you'd like to sign up, go for it - we can share tips on eating sardines and stuff together.

The ration pack deets
The whole box contains this for the whole week to eat.
https://actforpeace.rationchallenge.org.au/the-challenge/the-rations-explained/

Rice – 420g
Lentils – 170g
Dried chickpeas – 85g
Tinned sardines – 125g
Tinned kidney beans – 400g
Vegetable oil – 300ml

As far as I understand it's a pretty transparent charity that takes the money from the donations for the "challenge box", and puts that money to refugee centres in Syria, and Jordan.
Tip: If you are vegetarian or vegan, or have a food allergy, you can substitute any items you can’t eat for an alternative ingredient (use the same weight) e.g. swap sardines for tofu.
It goes from 17th - 21nd June.

Here's the link if you folks are feeling super supportive to me/wanting to virtue signal as hard as I am
https://school.rationchallenge.org.au/normburke?fbclid=IwAR1JS55EBtaAeuvTndzu4MC6Y-wqRRkvBJ8fg3XbQGuvMcfBPF7LSEi6XUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think a refugee would have any spices to make it more palatable?

e: what would be the middle eastern equivalent of this guy?

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 4, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Zhug or Arissah (chilli pepper pastes). Unfortunately both of those require refrigeration, so people will have to make do with powdered spices and whatever fresh peppers they may get and consume quickly.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I don't think you're really getting the point of the "challenge".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't understand what you're asking. Do you want to know how to cook those ingredients? Heat up some oil, saute the rice a bit, then add water, bring to boil, then lower heat to as low as possible, cover, and steam until done. Meanwhile, boil the lentils until done. Mix and eat, or serve separate.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Croatoan posted:

Yeah I don't think you're really getting the point of the "challenge".

Ya, though I suppose if you would like some authentic additional seasoning for this culinary adventure of yours, you could just pinch yourself real hard and weep into the pot.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blood is umami and ur fulla the stuff. Just sayin'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

You have to earn seasoning. It's in the rules.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
You can make tortillas with flour fairly easy
Rice can be fried with the vegetable oil
You can make onigiri.
Rice porridge
If you want to get creative you could probably make flatbread pizza or crackers
But yeah it sucks that is the point.

Asshawk
Mar 16, 2004
Isn't that demoralising to women?
Cheers Guys!

I know it's not really in the spirit to ask for suggestions, but I literally have no idea where to start

Thanks for the vegetable oil / rice suggestions (might mix in the sardines here too) and I didn't even think of making onigiri's or congee, I just straight up panicked, lol
I don't think I'll get to using seasoning, as I haven't gotten to that point yet - but I'm not too fussed about that anyway
I'll let you know about how the suggestions go when I start next week.

Anyone else going for it?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Having actually lived off of almost precisely that when I was younger, cooking all the stuff to the perfect level of doneness is imperative to it not completely sucking. Assuming you're going for maximum masochistic accuracy to the poverty/refugee experience, add in the condition that you have to eat everything you cook no matter how bad because nothing says poverty like burned, under-cooked rice and lentils

Personally, I'd cook the rice, lentils, and chickpeas separately until roughly al dente, then I'd grind them together with the anchovies and the flour. Take that resulting stuff and make it into balls or small patties and fry it in the oil. Grats, now you're eating poor man's falafel for the next week

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Asshawk posted:

Anyone else going for it?

No way. I've been rice and beans for a month poor a few times in my life, I don't have any desire to do it again recreationally.

Donate to your local food bank instead. Especially now, if you're in the US, because kids are out of school and need fed, and their big donation time is around Thanksgiving so it's a little tight.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

No way. I've been rice and beans for a month poor a few times in my life, I don't have any desire to do it again recreationally.

Donate to your local food bank instead. Especially now, if you're in the US, because kids are out of school and need fed, and their big donation time is around Thanksgiving so it's a little tight.

Also, donate cash, not canned goods. They can buy food orders of magnitude cheaper than you can. It's amazing how many people don't realize this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Also, donate cash, not canned goods. They can buy food orders of magnitude cheaper than you can. It's amazing how many people don't realize this.

Yup. My local food bank figures they can do 4 meals per dollar donated, as opposed to a 75 cent can of beans, since they have agreements to buy staples dirt cheap in vast bulk.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. My local food bank figures they can do 4 meals per dollar donated, as opposed to a 75 cent can of beans, since they have agreements to buy staples dirt cheap in vast bulk.

I get really irritated when I see grocery stores offering a paper bag of canned goods at full retail to drop in the donation bin. They're profiting off of peoples' generosity, and at the end of each quarter/year/campaign they get to say "We contributed $X food to the local food bank this time!"

Assholes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So, if I drop off this bag of like, five cans of food I overbought and didn't like along with a tenner, i'm good?

Because Progresso minestrone is gross

Edit: op do you want this can of soup that haunts me

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Suspect Bucket posted:

So, if I drop off this bag of like, five cans of food I overbought and didn't like along with a tenner, i'm good?

Because Progresso minestrone is gross

Edit: op do you want this can of soup that haunts me

It's certainly better to drop it off than throw it away. But buying strictly to give it away is just fattening the bank account of whatever grocery conglomerate you buy from.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's certainly better to drop it off than throw it away. But buying strictly to give it away is just fattening the bank account of whatever grocery conglomerate you buy from.

on the bright side, the food bank will be overjoyed to get some goods that aren't already expired

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We can feed the latchkey kids the cursèd soup it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the only tip i'd give is that if you dont want to be hungry you'll want to actually consume all of the oil in the bottle and in the sardine tin. There are only like 2200 calories in the rice + lentils.

EDIT: the instructions say to also buy another 1.5kg of rice and 400g of flour so never mind.